The Baking Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-12-2012, 06:20 PM
RE: The Baking Thread
All the different cookies and treats I made for this year.... (well didn't make the figs on that plate but who cares, they are so tasty)

[Image: zv0g0.jpg]

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
27-12-2012, 07:16 PM
(27-12-2012 06:20 PM)Leela Wrote:  All the different cookies and treats I made for this year.... (well didn't make the figs on that plate but who cares, they are so tasty)

Yum! I didn't do as much baking as usual this year, my sister just had bilateral carpal tunnel surgery so I've been busy, but I did make cheater lemon poppyseed cakes for Christmas.

What do you prefer for cookie filling?
Find all posts by this user
27-12-2012, 07:21 PM
Wow Leela! Impressive.

I'm not much for decorating, but did a little baking. The big hit was my butter tarts. I'm Old School when it comes to pastry, so my crusts are pretty awesome. Hate to brag and all, but my Oma taught me some killer pastry skills.

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
27-12-2012, 07:29 PM
(27-12-2012 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow Leela! Impressive.

I'm not much for decorating, but did a little baking. The big hit was my butter tarts. I'm Old School when it comes to pastry, so my crusts are pretty awesome. Hate to brag and all, but my Oma taught me some killer pastry skills.
It's all about the fat.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-12-2012, 08:46 PM
(27-12-2012 07:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 07:21 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Wow Leela! Impressive.

It's all about the fat.
Alas, that is why it's so hard to find good pastry these days. There are so many things that need to be considered. The right fat is imperative, yes. But show me a cook that uses lard (the best, and in my opinion only fat that should be used) at room temperature, and I'll show you some dense pastry. Work it too much, again dense, and poor structure (falls apart into crumbs after baking instead of slowly succumbing to pressure by breaking off into large, light flakes. Rolled out with a little too much flour? Say goodbye to your flavor, and say hello to a dry, hard crust. Aww, poor baby finds rock hard, cold dough too hard to roll out? Poor baby gonna add a little extra moisture to lighten the work? Fine. That is if you don't mind your bottom crust to soaking up the moisture from your filling, causing a soggy, doughy, unstructured crust.

And don't even get me going on electric mixers FFS. If you ain't feeling the dough at all times (no, not with your bare hands silly, that will melt the lard and reduce flakiness. Use a wide, wooden spoon, and a pastry knife when appropriate) you ain't makin pastry.

Woah. I just went right off the deep end there didn't I? Meh, I blame the weed. Smokin

27-12-2012, 08:50 PM
(27-12-2012 08:46 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(27-12-2012 07:29 PM)Chas Wrote:  It's all about the fat.
Alas, that is why it's so hard to find good pastry these days. There are so many things that need to be considered. The right fat is imperative, yes. But show me a cook that uses lard (the best, and in my opinion only fat that should be used) at room temperature, and I'll show you some dense pastry. Work it too much, again dense, and poor structure (falls apart into crumbs after baking instead of slowly succumbing to pressure by breaking off into large, light flakes. Rolled out with a little too much flour? Say goodbye to your flavor, and say hello to a dry, hard crust. Aww, poor baby finds rock hard, cold dough too hard to roll out? Poor baby gonna add a little extra moisture to lighten the work? Fine. That is if you don't mind your bottom crust to soaking up the moisture from your filling, causing a soggy, doughy, unstructured crust.

And don't even get me going on electric mixers FFS. If you ain't feeling the dough at all times (no, not with your bare hands silly, that will melt the lard and reduce flakiness. Use a wide, wooden spoon, and a pastry knife when appropriate) you ain't makin pastry.

Woah. I just went right off the deep end there didn't I? Meh, I blame the weed. Smokin

No, I think you were channeling my grandmother. Shocking

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-12-2012, 09:09 PM
Ya know, the funny part is, my friends kids call me "Gramma James" lol

27-12-2012, 09:18 PM
(27-12-2012 09:09 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Ya know, the funny part is, my friends kids call me "Gramma James" lol

I think 'Granny Stark' has a nice ring to it. Consider

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
28-12-2012, 03:38 AM
Stark Raving I am not sure what exactly you were rambling about but yes, I agree, it is all about the fat (and sugar and all the rest that goes in to that stuff)
When you bake you can safely forget about dieting for a while because stuff only tastes right and good when you put the right ingredients in.

btw, decorating that shit was torture. It probably took longer than the whole baking process. But for christmas I even decorate the cookies lol
Rest of the year I couldn't care less about decoration of pasty (unless it's fast or a special occasion).

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
28-12-2012, 07:59 AM
The Baking Thread
(27-12-2012 06:20 PM)Leela Wrote:  All the different cookies and treats I made for this year.... (well didn't make the figs on that plate but who cares, they are so tasty)

I'll have the Christmas Trees, please.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My