The Battles of WWII quizzes 1, 2, 3 & 4

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-10-2016, 10:21 PM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 07:05 AM by Full Circle.)
RE: The Battles of WWII quiz
(16-10-2016 10:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I got every answer correct until the quiz was mistaken. Kursk was NOT the largest tank battle of WWII. That was the battle of Brody. June 28 1941.

I lost interest after that. I've known about Brody for years. If you got 30 out of 30, shame shame shame. Big Grin

Confirmation.

I was hoping you’d play and why am I not surprised you found an error Consider

Thumbsup

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Brody_(1941)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Kursk

ps According to this Kursk was indeed larger than Brody Consider
http://www.militaryeducation.org/10-most...y-history/
http://www.history.com/this-day-in-histo...story-ends

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2016, 10:25 PM
They were also wrong about Dieppe.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-10-2016, 10:54 PM
(16-10-2016 10:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(16-10-2016 10:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I got every answer correct until the quiz was mistaken. Kursk was NOT the largest tank battle of WWII. That was the battle of Brody. June 28 1941.

I lost interest after that. I've known about Brody for years. If you got 30 out of 30, shame shame shame. Big Grin

Confirmation.

Thumbsup

ps According to this Kursk was indeed larger then Brody Consider

Yeah, no.

It is the same as the Dieppe question. People wish to avoid responsibility. By Dieppe there were NO German spies left in England. Juan Pujol García was controlling everything acting as a double agent under the codename Garbo.

The British screwed up. The RAF got pummeled and the Canadian troops suffered. Nobody wanted to take the blame, so it fell upon a fictional German spy.

At Brody the Soviets LOST! This is the key. At Kursk they won. So they sold Kurst to avoid the embarrassment of losing 3000 tanks at Brody to German losses of just 350.

See the lecture at 15.20 for confirmation.

The scale of The great patriotic war is beyond Western imagination. Out of 10 million German losses, 80% were lost in the east.

The only way in which Kursk is larger than Brody is in the area of airpower. The air war above the field of battle was as large as that on the ground.

After June 22-25 1941 Soviet airpower was depleted by approximately 80%.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
16-10-2016, 10:59 PM
See this documentary for very basic details of Soviet air force losses following Barbarossa.

Banjo.
16-10-2016, 11:23 PM
Actually I can go on and on about this. WWII differs from any other war in that it was not one war. There were several going on at the same time.

There was first the eastern incursion that led to Poland, followed by the Commonwealth and French declaring war on Germany.

This was followed by the Phony war in which mainly small engagements of aircraft and shipping took place.

Then there was the African war where Italy entered. This is connected to the European conflict of course. Especially after Rommel entered in order to save the languishing Italians.

Add to this the Western air war conducted mainly by the RAF and the Commonwealth nations. It was years before the USAAF was able to operate with any competence or power. They did eventually and ruled the western skies. But that airwar pales into insignificance when compared to the GPW.

Then we have the Pacific war. In which America and the Commonwealth were attacked by Japan. However this remained an eastern and Pacific war. It did not even touch Russia. The Japanese Germans and Italians never coordinated their efforts. For example when Germany attacked western Russia the Japanese did not attack eastern Russia. Let alone Romania, Finland etc. They had nothing to do with Japan.

Which brings us to yet another war. The Continuation war conducted between Finland and Russia. This war had little if anything to do with the larger war. For example, most people do not know that the finish Air Force had the highest kill ratio of the war flying the Brewster Buffalo. 32 to 1! The closest is the US Hellcat at 15 to 1 in the Pacific fighting against a low class remnant of the Japanese air arm.

The western war was a mistake. Hitler did not want that war. He gambled and lost.

So then Hitler declares war on America. So a decision is made to defeat the Germans first so the Soviets don't end up in control of western Europe.

Basically it is many wars taking place at the same time. between nations people do not even realise were against them. As another example, how many reading this know Thailand was a part of the Axis fighting on the side of Japan?

It is very complex. Way too complex for some stupid test that was wrong by question # 7. Big Grin

Banjo.
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
17-10-2016, 12:39 AM
At question ca. 20 i stopped. Its too easy if you can guess the answer by chosisng the only sensible ansewer of th three. I hate these overly simplified multiple choice questionnaires.

They were probably also wrong about Staningrad being the biggest battle (depending on your definition).
Lastet 8 weeks
ca. 2.5mio (850k vs 1.7mio) participants and a whole german army was annihilated.
German losses: ca. 300.000, russian losses ca. 500.000.

Operation Bagration in mid ´44:
Lasted 8 weeks, ca. 2.2mio participants (850k vs 1.4mio) and a whole german army group was annihilated (Heeresgruppe Mitte).
German losses: ca. 400.000, Russian losses: ca. 750.000

This was probably the most staggering defeat in the whole military history, however (as was common on the russian side) with terrible losses to the victor.

The sheer numbers of used material on the russian side alone was mind blowing (with a numerical superioirity over the Germans of 10:1!)
5000 Tanks Shocking
5000 Planes Ohmy
30.000 Artilleriy pieces Gasp

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
17-10-2016, 12:53 AM
(16-10-2016 10:21 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  

Confirmation.

Thumbsup

ps According to this Kursk was indeed larger then Brody Consider

At Brody the germans had 700 Tanks and the russians 3000+
At Kusk the germans had 2500 tanks and the russians 5000.

The types of tanks used however were waaaaay inferior.

On the russian side only 10% KV and T34. Other types should have been (out of my memory): T25, BT7 etc. Those were tiny little bits compared to what faced each other in mid ´43.
On the german side ony PZIII and IV with short barrels (june 1941!)

At Kursk the germans were fielding late PzIV, StugIII late PZIII, Tiger, Elefant and Panther Shocking
The russian tank armies consisted of T34, KV-1, Su122, Su152 Gasp

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
17-10-2016, 01:02 AM
27/30/. Screwed up on questions about pacific theater of war.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-10-2016, 01:20 AM
(17-10-2016 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  At Brody the germans had 700 Tanks and the russians 3000+

On the russian side only 10% KV and T34. Other types should have been (out of my memory): T25, BT7 etc. Those were tiny little bits compared to what faced each other in mid ´43.

At Kursk the germans were fielding late PzIV, StugIII late PZIII, Tiger, Elefant and Panther Shocking

Don't be fooled by old incorrect information. The man giving the lecture at the US army college is considered to be the top English speaking historian in this field.

I've now read 2 of his books and they are highly illuminating.

"For example, on the 28th of June 1941, as army group south, with its first panzer group was advancing eastward toward Kiev, Zhurkov himself, chief of staff of the Soviet army, came to the front and implemented a major counteroffensive using 6 of the southwestern fronts mechanised corps. This is in fact the biggest tank battle in world war II."
COL (Ret) David M. Glantz, Editor, Journal of Slavic Military Studies.

Banjo.
17-10-2016, 01:34 AM
(17-10-2016 01:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(17-10-2016 12:53 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  At Brody the germans had 700 Tanks and the russians 3000+

Don't be fooled by old incorrect information. The man giving the lecture at the US army college is considered to be the top English speaking historian in this field.

I've now read 2 of his books and they are highly illuminating.

"For example, on the 28th of June 1941, as army group south, with its first panzer group was advancing eastward toward Kiev, Zhurkov himself, chief of staff of the Soviet army, came to the front and implemented a major counteroffensive using 6 of the southwestern fronts mechanised corps. This is in fact the biggest tank battle in world war II."
COL (Ret) David M. Glantz, Editor, Journal of Slavic Military Studies.

There is quite good book on Kursk, one I believe I already mentioned to you: Armor and Blood: The Battle of Kursk by Dennis Showalter. It's from 2013 so research are more or less up to date. Also there is mention of Kursk in Stephen Fritz Ostkrieg.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.