The Battles of WWII quizzes 1, 2, 3 & 4

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-10-2016, 01:40 AM
RE: The Battles of WWII quiz
(17-10-2016 01:34 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  There is quite good book on Kursk, one I believe I already mentioned to you: Armor and Blood: The Battle of Kursk by Dennis Showalter. It's from 2013 so research are more or less up to date. Also there is mention of Kursk in Stephen Fritz Ostkrieg.

I've read so much about Kursk I can name many of the pilots who fought there.

I recall the first few years after Glasnost, books began appearing in English that we had never seen before. That was when my interest in TGPW really began. I am currently studying The Continuation War between Finland and Russia.

I am also gathering a collection of models to build on the subject which I plan to make into a series.

Kursk is kind of old news to me now. It's like going back and reading Tacitus again.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Banjo's post
17-10-2016, 01:48 AM
(17-10-2016 01:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I've read so much about Kursk I can name many of the pilots who fought there.

Impressive.

(17-10-2016 01:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I recall the first few years after Glasnost, books began appearing in English that we had never seen before. That was when my interest in TGPW really began. I am currently studying The Continuation War between Finland and Russia.

I generally only read up to date books*. Only few of them in my collection are pre perestroika and no one deals with WW II.

(17-10-2016 01:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Kursk is kind of old news to me now. It's like going back and reading Tacitus again.

Sometimes I feel like this when I read another piece on Shoah, though there is still much that I don't know and given the size of subject literature even after lifetime of reading there still would be much blind spots in my knowledge of this event.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
17-10-2016, 01:58 AM
(17-10-2016 01:48 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(17-10-2016 01:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I've read so much about Kursk I can name many of the pilots who fought there.

Impressive.

(17-10-2016 01:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  I recall the first few years after Glasnost, books began appearing in English that we had never seen before. That was when my interest in TGPW really began. I am currently studying The Continuation War between Finland and Russia.

I generally only read up to date books*. Only few of them in my collection are pre perestroika and no one deals with WW II.

(17-10-2016 01:40 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Kursk is kind of old news to me now. It's like going back and reading Tacitus again.

Sometimes I feel like this when I read another piece on Shoah, though there is still much that I don't know and given the size of subject literature even after lifetime of reading there still would be much blind spots in my knowledge of this event.

Yeah there's only so much time.

While away from here I joined a bunch of military history sites. Most new information gets shared pretty quickly at those places.

People talk about the number of tanks at Kursk without understanding how many were actually functioning. The Elefant tank was prone to breakdowns, as was the panther and tiger. The Germans had heaps of trouble with equipment by that stage as well as supplies being destroyed by large partisan armies in the forests.

For example, at Brody the Soviets had 5000 tanks. Only 3000 made it to the battlefield. You can imagine the lack of space and wreckage all over the place let alone soldiers running to and fro and strafing aircraft. The Russians didn't only run into tanks at Brody, they ran into Stukas and Me110's. Just as the Germans ran into Sturmoviks at Kursk.

To place this in even more context, 36,000 Sturmoviks were produced during The great patriotic war. Imagine how many were over that battlefield. Add to that Russian Airacobras with 37mm cannons courtesy of the US lend lease program. That's a LOT of tank killing power.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
17-10-2016, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 02:15 AM by Szuchow.)
(17-10-2016 01:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  Yeah there's only so much time.

While away from here I joined a bunch of military history sites. Most new information gets shared pretty quickly at those places.

I rarely look for info on forums, or even in shorter (that is not book length) articles. It may be not smartest way as such articles can offer good insight in specifics of something but I have neither time nor money to hunt and buy good history journals. Books see to that - knowledge isn't cheap.

(17-10-2016 01:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  People talk about the number of tanks at Kursk without understanding how many were actually functioning. The Elefant tank was prone to breakdowns, as was the panther and tiger. The Germans had heaps of trouble with equipment by that stage as well as supplies being destroyed by large partisan armies in the forests.

Still German's situation wasn't that bad if one goes by Showalter book I mentioned earlier.

As for people - such is only to be expected. If I would not read further on Kursk, only what was in my history book in school I would know shit too. Nor would I care much about effective strength of the fighting units.

(17-10-2016 01:58 AM)Banjo Wrote:  For example, at Brody the Soviets had 5000 tanks. Only 3000 made it to the battlefield. You can imagine the lack of space and wreckage all over the place let alone soldiers running to and fro and strafing aircraft. The Russians didn't only run into tanks at Brody, they ran into Stukas and Me110's. Just as the Germans ran into Sturmoviks at Kursk.

To place this in even more context, 36,000 Sturmoviks were produced during The great patriotic war. Imagine how many were over that battlefield. Add to that Russian Airacobras with 37mm cannons courtesy of the US lend lease program. That's a LOT of tank killing power.

To be honest I have trouble envisioning such large numbers of bodies and machines clashing. Books help but still...

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
17-10-2016, 02:20 AM
27/30. I guessed at four, got two right, just screwed up on the third error.

Fairly easy for anyone who's read up on it.
17-10-2016, 03:15 AM
Banjo, have you been to Hyperwar?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
17-10-2016, 06:36 AM
(17-10-2016 03:15 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  Banjo, have you been to Hyperwar?

No mate. I will visit the link tomorrow.

Thanks.

Banjo.
17-10-2016, 07:43 AM (This post was last modified: 17-10-2016 07:47 AM by skyking.)
The questions I missed were all in the European theater. I had always focused on the US in the Pacific for purely personal reasons, my father was in the 4th Marine Division, 23rd Regiment.
[+] 3 users Like skyking's post
17-10-2016, 07:49 AM
(17-10-2016 07:43 AM)skyking Wrote:  The questions I missed were all in the European theater. I had always focused on the US in the Pacific for purely personal reasons, my father was in the 4th Marine Division, 23rd Regiment.

Please tell us more about your father’s service.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
17-10-2016, 09:01 AM
(16-10-2016 10:15 PM)Banjo Wrote:  I got every answer correct until the quiz was mistaken. Kursk was NOT the largest tank battle of WWII. That was the battle of Brody. June 28 1941.

I lost interest after that. I've known about Brody for years. If you got 30 out of 30, shame shame shame. Big Grin

Confirmation.

It is arguable; it depends on what one measures.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user