The Battles of WWII quizzes 1, 2, 3 & 4

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-10-2016, 12:44 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 12:50 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: The Battles of WWII quizzes 1, 2, 3 & 4
(18-10-2016 07:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  https://www.quia.com/quiz/293218.html?AP...1104374803

27/30

Some questions keep being repeated but some are new.

21/30. This time I fell on America specific questions.

Also Final Solution was about exterminating Jews not Slavs and Gypsies, who indeed were exterminated but not as a part of Endlosung. Quiz got it wrong.

Slavs got their specific code worded actions, i.e. Intelligenzaktion aimed to kill Polish elite. Hitler didn't plan on exterminating every Slav.

(18-10-2016 07:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  THIS QUIZ IS IMPOSSIBLE

36% F

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=171959

45%.

Not impossible, just obscure and sometimes filled with useless trivia, like the question about youngest soldier, or 10-th question.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
19-10-2016, 01:10 AM
(19-10-2016 12:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(18-10-2016 07:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  https://www.quia.com/quiz/293218.html?AP...1104374803

27/30

21/30. This time I fell on America specific questions.

Also Final Solution was about exterminating Jews not Slavs and Gypsies, who indeed were exterminated but not as a part of Endlosung. Quiz got it wrong.

Slavs got their specific code worded actions, i.e. Intelligenzaktion aimed to kill Polish elite. Hitler didn't plan on exterminating every Slav.

(18-10-2016 07:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  THIS QUIZ IS IMPOSSIBLE

36% F

http://www.youthink.com/quiz.cfm?obj_id=171959

45%.

Not impossible, just obscure and sometimes filled with useless trivia, like the question about youngest soldier, or 10-th question.

He wanted to kill the jews and enslave the slavs, yep.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
19-10-2016, 01:11 AM

27/30

That quiz is flawed. Example (it scored me wrong on this):

Quote:FDR compared the _____________ to “lending a garden hose to a next-door neighbor whose house is on fire.”

• Marshall Plan
• New Deal (correct answer)
• Lend-Lease Act (your response)
• Hawley-Smoot Tariff

Obviously bullshit. I scored 26/30 on it. My other three misses:

Quote:What marked the turning point of the war in Western Europe?

• The Normandy invasion (correct answer)
• The battle of Stalingrad
• The atomic explosions at Hiroshima and Nagasaki
• The Battle of Britain (your response)

A matter of opinion. Had Britain fallen in 1940, Overlord might well have been impossible. No floating ports, no PLUTO, and most importantly, precious little, if any, close air support.

Quote:The “Final Solution” referred to Hitler’s desire to exterminate—

• Slavs and Gypsies
• Undesirables such as homosexuals, the mentally ill, and political dissidents
• Jews (your response)
• All of the Above (correct answer)

Another categorically wrong "correct answer". While it's true that other minorities were murdered in the Holocaust, the Final Solution was a shortening of the phrase, The Final Solution to the Jewish Problem.

Quote:Why were Japan’s military leaders able to gain approval for their expansionist plans?

• Expansion would make Japan less dependent on the international economy (correct answer)
• Many Asian countries had sought Japanese protection
• Japan’s emperor was indecisive and unable to resist military demands (your response)
• Japan needed more resources to win the war it was fighting with Korea

Perhaps -- Japan's oil stocks were down to about nine months' worth for Navy operations in July of 1941 when the US laid its embargo. But the Emperor did not resist the demands the militarists made for immediate action.

Anyway, having two wrong answers given by the proctors calls into question the exam. I got 28 right, they got 28 right.
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
19-10-2016, 01:16 AM
(19-10-2016 01:10 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 12:44 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  21/30. This time I fell on America specific questions.

45%.

He wanted to kill the jews and enslave the slavs, yep.

Enslave the remaining Slavs - remember the hunger policy he and his "experts" envisioned for SU. Germanization of some Slavs also wasn't out of question.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-10-2016, 02:15 AM
(19-10-2016 01:16 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(19-10-2016 01:10 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  He wanted to kill the jews and enslave the slavs, yep.

Enslave the remaining Slavs - remember the hunger policy he and his "experts" envisioned for SU. Germanization of some Slavs also wasn't out of question.

Of course, in order to enslave a whole population, the elites had to be "removed". As a whole he wanted slaves: Means to the end was eliminating (possible) elites.

Stalin proceeded in a similar fashion at Katyn, to make sure Poland wouldnt be able to muster any (military) resistance to his future reign (military being one of the elites, and many members of the elites being in the military). By that time he must have already known the effects of such actions by observing what his purges did to his own military.

19-10-2016, 02:30 AM
It inevitably amuses me with these sorts of quizzes how people who didn't score all that well get all hot and bothered, and go to great lengths to dispute the accuracy (or otherwise) of the answers—and somehow "justify" their purportedly "correct" answers.

Lighten up guys; it's not the end of the world to admit that you may not know the finer points of a massive military event that occurred 80 years ago.

I only got 24/30 with the first quiz (as it later turned out) but seriously, who gives a fuck? Not me. Rolleyes

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
19-10-2016, 02:58 AM (This post was last modified: 19-10-2016 03:10 AM by Szuchow.)
(19-10-2016 02:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Of course, in order to enslave a whole population, the elites had to be "removed". As a whole he wanted slaves: Means to the end was eliminating (possible) elites.

Not only elites. See Hunger Plan.

(19-10-2016 02:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Stalin proceeded in a similar fashion at Katyn, to make sure Poland wouldnt be able to muster any (military) resistance to his future reign (military being one of the elites, and many members of the elites being in the military).

There indeed is some similarity. Poland though was able to mount military resistance to SU occupation, so Stalin plan failed. There is even talk of Polish civil war.

(19-10-2016 02:15 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  By that time he must have already known the effects of such actions by observing what his purges did to his own military.

As far as I know there was no plans to unseat Stalin through military coup. His purges were more on side of paranoia*, rather than preempting real danger. Also real damage of purges came not from officers killed and arrested - who in any case were replaced by new ones by the time Barbarossa began - but rather from stunting the initiative of Soviet command [Stalin, Red Army and Great Patriotic War by Bernard Bonwetsch in Stalinism and Nazism. Dictatorships in Comparison].

*For other interpretation see: Stalin, intelligence and counter-intelligence by Hiroaki Kuromiya and Andrzej Pepłoński in Stalin and Europe: Imitation and Domination, 1928-1953.

(19-10-2016 02:30 AM)SYZ Wrote:  It inevitably amuses me with these sorts of quizzes how people who didn't score all that well get all hot and bothered, and go to great lengths to dispute the accuracy (or otherwise) of the answers—and somehow "justify" their purportedly "correct" answers.

Lighten up guys; it's not the end of the world to admit that you may not know the finer points of a massive military event that occurred 80 years ago.

Of things I don't know one could write encyclopedia but some of the answers that creators of quiz insist are correct are simply wrong, i.e. Final Solution being extermination of Slavs, political dissidents, etc.

Mikhail Bakunin.
19-10-2016, 05:19 AM
Quote:By that time he must have already known the effects of such actions by observing what his purges did to his own military.

We have a misunderstanding here. I wasnt talking about a coup against Stalin. I was talking about the fact, that eliminating the upper echelon of the military of a nation, makes it very vulnerable to external force, thus better controllable, enslaveable. He just had done it to his own military (which utterly failed in Finland as a result).

[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
19-10-2016, 05:20 AM
(19-10-2016 02:30 AM)SYZ Wrote:  Lighten up guys; it's not the end of the world to admit that you may not know the finer points of a massive military event that occurred 70 years ago.

Fixed Tongue Tongue Tongue

19-10-2016, 05:49 AM
(19-10-2016 05:19 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  
Quote:By that time he must have already known the effects of such actions by observing what his purges did to his own military.

We have a misunderstanding here. I wasnt talking about a coup against Stalin. I was talking about the fact, that eliminating the upper echelon of the military of a nation, makes it very vulnerable to external force, thus better controllable, enslaveable. He just had done it to his own military (which utterly failed in Finland as a result).

I know but I voiced my take on purges and about reason of failure which was more a result of stalinism itself that this specific purge. [Stalin, Red Army and Great Patriotic War by Bernard Bonwetsch in Stalinism and Nazism. Dictatorships in Comparison].

As for Poland - murder in Katyn was in vain for there was armed resistance to Soviet imposing their system of rule on Poles.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post