The Beatles Are Responsible For The American Drug Culture.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-11-2012, 05:30 PM
(21-11-2012 04:58 PM)kim Wrote:  
(20-11-2012 10:42 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  At least I remember my dad spewing those words out, circa 1980.

I didn't know a whole lot about the Beatles at that time, but I was sure they couldn't have been all that bad. But of more interest to me was that my dad (who otherwise was kind of a pop culture fuddy dudd) knew who the Beatles were, and more importantly was aware of them at the height of their popularity.

Anyway, that's what I remember.

Thoughts? Questions? Comments? Jokes?
Dodgy Hang on there... 1980? Where the heck had you been all your life, Erx?

At church. Hello. Don't you read any of my posts?

ETA: I was around 15 when we had this conversation. I don't think there was any need to have a discussion about the Beatles and drugs before that.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-11-2012, 05:47 PM
RE: The Beatles Are Responsible For The American Drug Culture.
(21-11-2012 05:30 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(21-11-2012 04:58 PM)kim Wrote:  Dodgy Hang on there... 1980? Where the heck had you been all your life, Erx?

At church. Hello. Don't you read any of my posts?

ETA: I was around 15 when we had this conversation. I don't think there was any need to have a discussion about the Beatles and drugs before that.

Music? The Beatles had an enormous influence on music... both on radio and television ...how did you miss that? Your parents didn't expose you to music during your formative years? What the serious fuck?

The Beatles had been broken up for a decade, already and John died in 1980. Teensy bit late to lay blame. Dodgy

It was the bigger than Jesus thing, right? Your Dad was probably pissed that he broke all his albums and then, when John was murdered, he thought - shit, I could have made a fortune off those. Hmm.

Artists only reflect culture. If culture chooses to take that reflection along into the future and attach an artist's name; that's their doing, not the artist. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
21-11-2012, 09:41 PM
Rock and Roll was of the devil. I'll find some links for you later about how missionaries to Africa would return to America and freak out when they heard the drums in rock music because they used the same rhythms that the shaman would use to conjure demons. (I'm being completely serious about this).

Anyway, no True Christian will have anything to do with anything that might even be remotely connected with the devil. Therefore, young, tender Erxomai was forbidden to listen to rock music or watch MASH and All in the Family or any R-rates movies. Don't drink. Don't chew. Don't go with girls who do! Weeping

I remember very well the news about John Lennon's death, but I wasn't moved by it more than news of any man being shot. The only thing I knew about him was he was in that Beatles Band and he wrote an evil song about imagine there's no heaven. Weeping

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Look at Elkster Getting All Ready to Win American Idol and Shit. GirlyMan 1 112 11-04-2014 12:13 AM
Last Post: GirlyMan
  Beatles and the 80s combine... Hobbitgirl 0 226 09-02-2013 10:51 AM
Last Post: Hobbitgirl
  Why do British musicians sing with American accents? Buddy Christ 9 3,511 22-06-2012 07:10 PM
Last Post: Anjele
Question Any American Patriot Songs that don't involve god? samthepcman 3 871 02-03-2012 02:20 PM
Last Post: Buddy Christ
  Modern trance based on Native American? Cetaceaphile 0 438 06-12-2010 12:21 AM
Last Post: Cetaceaphile