The Belmont Stakes Shall Hereafter be Referred to as the Triple Crown Killer.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-06-2014, 06:51 PM
The Belmont Stakes Shall Hereafter be Referred to as the Triple Crown Killer.
13 times now since Affirmed in '78.

#sigh
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
07-06-2014, 07:03 PM (This post was last modified: 08-06-2014 05:30 AM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The Belmont Stakes Shall Hereafter be Referred to as the Triple Crown Killer.
(07-06-2014 06:51 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  13 times now since Affirmed in '78.

It's ALWAYS been the Triple Crown Killer. 1.5 miles is too long for adolescent (3 year old) horses to run. A three year old has to be really exceptional to be up to that length. (Some think it's abusive). The 11 horse was my "other" choice, besides Cali Chrome, (I always "dutch" two or three .. or even more. A couple years ago I bet on 5 in the Derby, and the payoff was still > 2/1, combined). It's a blast to play with the numbers. It was a great race though. My pre-race looked like it would be an "early pace" race, (that does not mean the front runner wins, just that the winner in "in contention at the second call), and "bingo" it was. Was surprised the win pool was less than 25 mil. The Derby is usually about 35 mil.

I would REALLY REALLY like to go up to Saratoga for late Summer racing in the early Fall. I've never been up there. It looks SO idylic, in the early Fall, in upstate NY.

REALLY funny the sour grapes of the losing owner. The race has ALWAYS been carded the way it has. The Belmont Stakes was not created to be the "third leg" of the Triple Crown, or anything else. The 12th race following it was perfect also. There's something about turf racing that confuses the betting public. Not sure why that is. The fan base in New York is SOOOO smart. You know they have the winner in the top 5 odds.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
07-06-2014, 07:26 PM
RE: The Belmont Stakes Shall Hereafter be Referred to as the Triple Crown Killer.
Part of the problem is the "fresh field" the Derby and Preakness winner has to go up against. The owner of Cali Chrome was very vocal about that post race. It is slightly unfair that only 1 horse had to run the gauntlet and the others in the field only ran 1 race.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 2 users Like Revenant77x's post
07-06-2014, 07:38 PM
(07-06-2014 07:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Part of the problem is the "fresh field" the Derby and Preakness winner has to go up against. The owner of Cali Chrome was very vocal about that post race. It is slightly unfair that only 1 horse had to run the gauntlet and the others in the field only ran 1 race.

No one forces the owners/trainers to enter a race. They know the conditions, when they enter. Was he complaining BEFORE the race ? I didn't hear anything, (maybe he was). Everyone knows what they are up against from the get-go. If a truly exceptional horse can do it, (even against runners who haven't raced this Spring) then they deserve the glory.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-06-2014, 08:55 PM
I grew up almost next door to the Hollywood race track. We went, as a family, every month on Saturday to see the races. Now I've heard the track has recently closed. What fun we had.

I also remember the thrill it was to watch, on TV, in 1973, Secretariat cross the finish line and win that Triple Crown.

I know there is talk of spacing the length of time between races to assure that horses are in better condition to race for the crown. But, it will not be the same race, lowercase letters t and c. I'm afraid that for me as well as for so many others who enjoy the sport, the name Triple Crown will no longer exist if adjustments are made.

I'm fine waiting for the next winner.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
07-06-2014, 09:30 PM
(07-06-2014 08:55 PM)Dee Wrote:  I grew up almost next door to the Hollywood race track. We went, as a family, every month on Saturday to see the races. Now I've heard the track has recently closed. What fun we had.

I also remember the thrill it was to watch, on TV, in 1973, Secretariat cross the finish line and win that Triple Crown.

I know there is talk of spacing the length of time between races to assure that horses are in better condition to race for the crown. But, it will not be the same race, lowercase letters t and c. I'm afraid that for me as well as for so many others who enjoy the sport, the name Triple Crown will no longer exist if adjustments are made.

Hollywood Park is not closed ?? They cycle off and on as the California circuit moves between Santa Anita, there, and Del Mar. It did get bought-out a few years ago by (I think ????) the huge British gaming company, Betfair .. so they changed the name to Betfair Hollywood Park. I remember when I was a wee lad, the first time my parents took me on a plane up there, we flew straight over the HP oval, (as it's so close to LAX.)

07-06-2014, 10:36 PM
(07-06-2014 07:03 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I would REALLY REALLY like to go up to Saratoga for late Summer racing in the Fall. I've never been up there. It looks SO idylic, in the early Fall, in upstate NY.

can't ... help ... myself. ... you flew up to Saratoga and your horse naturally won ... i'm gonna have to talk to my shrink about this. Big Grin

#sigh
07-06-2014, 10:41 PM
(07-06-2014 07:26 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  Part of the problem is the "fresh field" the Derby and Preakness winner has to go up against. The owner of Cali Chrome was very vocal about that post race. It is slightly unfair that only 1 horse had to run the gauntlet and the others in the field only ran 1 race.

Horse deserves the Triple Crown? Horse runs faster than the "fresh" horses.

#sigh
07-06-2014, 10:48 PM
(07-06-2014 09:30 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(07-06-2014 08:55 PM)Dee Wrote:  I grew up almost next door to the Hollywood race track. We went, as a family, every month on Saturday to see the races. Now I've heard the track has recently closed. What fun we had.

Hollywood Park is not closed ?? They cycle off and on as the California circuit moves between Santa Anita, there, and Del Mar. It did get bought-out a few years ago by (I think ????) the huge British gaming company, Betfair .. so they changed the name to Betfair Hollywood Park. I remember when I was a wee lad, the first time my parents took me on a plane up there, we flew straight over the HP oval, (as it's so close to LAX.)

Dec. 23, 2013
USA Today
INGLEWOOD, Calif. (AP) — Fans crowded into Betfair Hollywood Park for the last time Sunday.

The track closed for good after the day's 11 races, ending 75 years of racing that featured such Thoroughbred stars as Seabiscuit, Triple Crown winners Citation, Seattle Slew and Affirmed, and Zenyatta. The first Breeders' Cup in 1984 was run here. The track will be turned into a residential and retail development starting next year.

I suppose this could be an error?

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
07-06-2014, 10:53 PM
I thought it was a bit odd he was taken to the outside. He's not a free runner & certainly not a long runner. I dont know what his jocky was thinking.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post