The Best Audiobooks for New Atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-02-2015, 02:49 AM
The Best Audiobooks for New Atheists?
Guys, I wonder if any of you have tips for brilliant audiobooks that could inspire or assist intellectual growth for new atheists?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
17-02-2015, 03:35 AM
RE: The Best Audiobooks for New Atheists?
(17-02-2015 02:49 AM)rizzzzzzzzzzzz Wrote:  Guys, I wonder if any of you have tips for brilliant audiobooks that could inspire or assist intellectual growth for new atheists?

Librivox.org has a lot of public domain audiobooks you can download for free. I've mostly listened to Robert Green Ingersoll, Nietzsche, Thomas Paine, and John Stuart Mill so far, and I'd recommend any those.

I'm just thinking out loud.
[+] 3 users Like KnowtheSilence's post
17-02-2015, 04:35 AM
"audiobook"

what kind of cop-out bullshit name is that anyway? It's not a fucking book, it's just some twat reading a book...

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 1 user Likes earmuffs's post
17-02-2015, 04:45 AM
Maybe because "A person reads a book recording audio for you" is too long?

However I tried once and damn, I was literally falling asleep. I think I'll stick to the classic way of using books: reading them. Tongue

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 1 user Likes The Polyglot Atheist's post
17-02-2015, 06:48 AM
Confusing phrasing... a New to holding the position of atheist? Or "New Atheist"

As there are new-atheists or so they're called books that are in audio form. I've only listened to some of Christopher Hitchens ones which are good. (there are those of his reading and others reading, I preferred his readings) and the book God, NO! by Penn Jillette, it's not necessarily just about the idea of God but a lot about his life as well. So that's a weary recommendation.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
17-02-2015, 10:26 PM
(17-02-2015 04:35 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  "audiobook"

what kind of cop-out bullshit name is that anyway? It's not a fucking book, it's just some twat reading a book...
I do love to read. Apparently, I commute to work and always caught in a traffic jam. I prefer to listen any good audiobook rather than some shit radiostations that play Taylor Swift everyday
[+] 1 user Likes rizzzzzzzzzzzz's post
17-02-2015, 11:00 PM
Seth Andrews does have Deconverted on audible.com. It's worth listening to (or reading), though to be honest, I'm not big on books where atheism and the ridiculousness of religion is the central theme for the simple reason that I'm not in some kind of internal battle. I've been Atheist for a long time, so the concept gets redundant. I prefer to listen to books not specifically about atheism that, nonetheless, get you thinking and are more interesting when interpreted as an atheist.

A few that I'd recommend (either as audio or physical books)
Beyond Belief by Jenna Miscavige Hill. About a woman who was raised in and eventually escaped from scientology.
Thinking, Fast and Slow by Daniel Kahneman. A bunch of interesting shit on how the mind works.
Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha (should be required reading/listening). Though the focus is on sexual evolution, it gets into some very interesting theory on the reasons why post agricultural cultural evolution included religion.

I'm in the same boat as you, on the road a lot. Coffee and audiobooks, because repetitive music just doesn't cut it after a while. I'd probably give up my smartphone data plan before I'd give up my subscription to Audible.

'Murican Canadian