The Best of Armed Drill

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 5 Average
02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
The Best of Armed Drill
So I am completely obsessed with the Jolly Rogers and the Marines' silent drill platoon, and I was wondering if anybody else thought they were orgasmic or if it's just me because of my backround as a drill commander.

The USNA Silent Drill Team (Jolly Rogers) use 14 pound M-14 riles, some of their movements seem impossible to me using an 8 pound 1903 daisy springfield.

I believe the Marines use M-1 garands, which are somewhere in the range of 12 pounds to 16 pounds.

Let me know if you also need a change of underwear after watching these!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheKetola's post
02-04-2011, 10:20 PM
RE: The Best of Armed Drill
Two great videos. Two excellent performances. The first video was outside on a stone surface surrounded with stone buildings, which added an interesting reverb which sounded very powerful. The C-130 flying overhead added to the ambience. The second video was shot from much closer and the visual details were better.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.
[+] 1 user Likes No J.'s post
03-04-2011, 12:56 AM
Interesting perspective No J. I take it you make a lot of videos?

I agree with the sound, the first one was done at the United States Naval Academy in Annapolis (which is where I am trying to get accepted and actually join that team), I was trying to figure out why some of the rifle slams sounded like gun shots, I wonder if they put quarters in their gloves (which is a technique some armed drill teams in our division use).
04-04-2011, 12:27 AM
A M-14 fires and there's no mistaking it. Good luck getting in to Annapolis. Those were impressive videos.

Liberty loving, gun owning Atheist. Don't worry it confuses the right as well.
[+] 1 user Likes aesirus's post
04-04-2011, 10:37 AM
The M-14s that they use are probably decommisioned for safety purposes (if you noticed two people dropped their rifles, when the girl dropped her rifle the two men next to her immediately halted their spinning and went to "present arms" until she regained her bearing). I wonder if it is a bare-bottom rifle, or maybe the sling slaps it as the butt hits the ground.

Thank you! I'd be the first from my school to get accepted if I do get in, which I'm going to take as "it's a hard place to get into" >.<
04-04-2011, 11:10 AM
Wow. I remember watching my aunt in high school, she was in the marching band at a catholic school, and their band and rifle/flag line were amazing. I even went with her once to watch her compete a national competition. Because I watched her caliber when I was younger, I'm bored by flag lines and high school marching bands to date. And that sucks because my fiancee is a band geek who loves it, but never finds anything comparable to my aunt's years in the band....
But those drill teams take the cake. Damn are they good, and I've never seen anything like that. Thanks for sharing.

As an aside, did anybody else think the announcer at the end of the 2nd video sound like he was trying to amp up a crowd of WWE fans? "If you smeeeeeeeeeeell... what the jarheads are cookin!"

Something something something Dark Side
Something something something complete
[+] 1 user Likes cfhmagnet's post
04-04-2011, 01:14 PM
You got it spot on right there, I was trying to put my finger on it, because it didn't sound like basketball announcership to me >.<