The Bible Belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2012, 02:57 PM
RE: The Bible Belt
(11-02-2012 01:17 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  There are small pockets of locations in the us that aren't but they are so msall that you'd be living with about 300 other people. around you.

Hmm terms for a highly mosque filled location........

You could always just call them afghans (like the sweater =p)

I would think the best idea would be something along the lines of a "prayer rug circle" choose your language as it would be better not to use english for a religion that is not very commonly practiced in the language for the term.

And yes i realize they would never form a circle with the rugs =p

Lol, Cairo is called the city of the thousand mosques, but i assure you it has way more than that, just in my street i have 2 mosques and i live on the outskirts. XD
you cant walk any street in Cairo without seeing atleast a mosque or two.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2012, 03:03 PM
Still though egypt is considered a bit of a fringe version of Islam by much of the rest of the area. Many things are different in egypt including it's exciopantely alternate dialect of arabic. I would think most people would base Islamic traditions from a more centered part of the middle east. Oh my UAE associates made me think of the best one yet. Just call them two wheelers. It's weird how popular riding on two wheels in your jeep is in the UAE and that's one of the things I've seen as a pretty constant among Islamic interests =p not the most religious but hey it one ups bible belts. They've got one belt and you've got two wheels. Still you're only half way on the ground.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
11-02-2012, 03:44 PM
(11-02-2012 03:03 PM)Lilith Pride Wrote:  Still though egypt is considered a bit of a fringe version of Islam by much of the rest of the area. Many things are different in egypt including it's exciopantely alternate dialect of arabic. I would think most people would base Islamic traditions from a more centered part of the middle east. Oh my UAE associates made me think of the best one yet. Just call them two wheelers. It's weird how popular riding on two wheels in your jeep is in the UAE and that's one of the things I've seen as a pretty constant among Islamic interests =p not the most religious but hey it one ups bible belts. They've got one belt and you've got two wheels. Still you're only half way on the ground.

Not really a fringe version of islam "Sunni" is the most popular denomination
and it's said to be the literal quran with the hadith as an explanation or expansion.

As for our Arabic accent, how dare you Tongue
everyone understands Egyptian Arabic because we dominate the movies/songs/etc.
but i can hardly understand Saudis or Iraqis or, fsm forbid, sudanese :O,
it's not like with American English and Australian English, it's actually a far wider gap.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
11-02-2012, 04:00 PM
Perhaps it's with the Muslims I meet then, I've always been introduced to the view that the Egyptians are the borderline. Never been to any part of the middle east myself though. Egypt is the one I'm most interested in, but their social policies are abhorrent. And it's fucking hot in that country.

I wasn't aware that egyptian was the general dialect for media. Thanks for the information. Sorry to insult you but hey you're not quite in the part of the world I am most interested in. You gave up on Bastet too long ago for me =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
[+] 1 user Likes Lilith Pride's post
11-02-2012, 04:44 PM
ah ur into the pegan stuff eh? im more of a RA person myself Smile

11-02-2012, 05:10 PM
I'm into cats so when humans accept that cats are in command I am a happy kitty =p

12-02-2012, 04:33 AM
First of all, lol. Florida's a dong.

Second, I always understood two things about the Bible Belt. One, that it presupposes that there is a limited area within the US that is really Bibleiscious and two, that it was pretty much a pejorative term. Thoughts?

And I don't think that Quebec has a Bible belt. There's a church in the centre of every town and most towns are called Saint something, but the Quiet Revolution saw to the church's power being relegated to the child seat in the back of the car.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
15-02-2012, 11:37 AM
(12-02-2012 04:33 AM)Ghost Wrote:  And I don't think that Quebec has a Bible belt. There's a church in the centre of every town and most towns are called Saint something, but the Quiet Revolution saw to the church's power being relegated to the child seat in the back of the car.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt

Pity it wasn’t tied up in the trunk and driven into a lake…

A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything. Friedrich Nietzsche
15-02-2012, 11:47 AM
I live in England, we don't have a Bible belt Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
15-02-2012, 12:28 PM
(12-02-2012 04:33 AM)Ghost Wrote:  First of all, lol. Florida's a dong.

Second, I always understood two things about the Bible Belt. One, that it presupposes that there is a limited area within the US that is really Bibleiscious and two, that it was pretty much a pejorative term. Thoughts?

Yeah, FL is a dong... youwannafightaboudit? Big Grin Actually FL is definitely part of the Bible Belt.... maybe not originally, but it definitely is now. So maybe it's more of a jock-strap? Some days in the hot humid summer it certainly smells like one outside...

I think that the Bible Belt has really increased in size as time has passed. But still, when you get down into the southern US states it really takes on a new level. The schools I went to up north had a lot different feel than even in VA. My school in Maine was really godless, but in VA there was a definite Christian presence.

It really takes on a whole different vibe in every area of life. When you go to work sometimes it's a very Christian environment. In the government, in the schools, in stores when you're shopping, and if they have it their way, in your bedroom too- making sure you don't break their laws with your bedroom antics...

The difference in a real Bible Belt area is that, while in non religion super saturated areas it's not everywhere you turn. In the Bible Belt religion is ubiquitous and you're almost always aware of it.