The Bible (History Channel Series)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 12:27 AM
The Bible (History Channel Series)
So, I've been enjoying it, but I know fuck all about the Bible.

Can some of you Christians and former Christians who have seen this program tell how how accurate it is? I am really seeing the appeal that the books had back in the day. Too bad churches want to take this stuff so seriously. I might have paid more attention as a lad if they just told cool stories without all the extra bullshit.

Anyone else enjoying it?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 12:47 AM
RE: The Bible (History Channel Series)
There were a few things that annoyed my on accuracy, or lack there of. Mostly minor, and things that you would expect for a film adaptation, but still, seems like if you think it's the literal word of "God" you would not mess with it.

Just one example quick example, before "God" (shown as Jesus) had Sodom and Gomorrah destroyed, the angels were send there to see if they could find any worthy people in order to save the cities from destruction. That's all they were sent to do, not personally kill anyone. But in the show they show the two angels slaughter everyone. Now, I do think it's inline with the bible to have angels slaughtering an entire town, or two, but that's not my issue with it. My problem is that the actual bible never says that they did that.

They went ahead and decided that the angels did, for the drama of it. But they don't later show Lot, the only guy good enough to be saved, fucking his own daughters. Plus, they put Jesus as "God" in the old testament whenever "God" showed up. They simply did what they wanted with it, and cut out parts they didn't care for, like incest and what not.

19-11-2013, 01:05 AM
I enjoy my TV. I do not wish to punch it. Therefore I have refrained from watching anything on the history channel.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
19-11-2013, 01:09 AM
(19-11-2013 12:47 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  They simply did what they wanted with it, and cut out parts they didn't care for, like incest and what not.

So, par for the course then?

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-11-2013, 01:10 AM
(19-11-2013 01:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 12:47 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  They simply did what they wanted with it, and cut out parts they didn't care for, like incest and what not.

So, par for the course then?

What? The parts that were hard to swallow and were full of terrible and immoral things were omitted? Confirmation bias? NO WAI.
Laughat

I'm not surprised.

Official ordained minister of the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster. Please pm me with prayer requests to his noodly goodness. Remember, he boiled for your sins and loves you. Carbo Diem! RAmen.
19-11-2013, 01:22 AM
(19-11-2013 01:10 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So, par for the course then?

What? The parts that were hard to swallow and were full of terrible and immoral things were omitted? Confirmation bias? NO WAI.
Laughat

I'm not surprised.

Well, they they aren't actually able to white wash all the killing out, as there is way too much of it in there to remove it all. But still, I think Christians have learned the stories as being good for so many years, even seeing the killing, or like with Abraham's son, they don't see it as horrendous.

It was really disappointing that they didn't put Job in there, and show "Satan" and "God" up in heaven, kicking it together like old friends, making a bet together over fucking Job up. Then "God" coming down at the end and talking mad shit to Job after "God" had just killed all of Job's family, livelihood, heath, and positions. I would have loved Christians to actually have to watch that part, with "God" being a complete dick and working with "Satan".

[+] 1 user Likes Raptor Jesus's post
19-11-2013, 01:28 AM
(19-11-2013 01:05 AM)Logisch Wrote:  I enjoy my TV. I do not wish to punch it. Therefore I have refrained from watching anything on the history channel.

I dunno what's up with them today, but they actually had some History programs on the channel...well between that and History 2. Today I watched programs about the Mayans, China of Antiquity, The Roman Empire, Ancient Egypt...it was a pretty good History day. Maybe this will be a trend...maybe not. Whatever, they showed educational programming today.

Of course they showed several episodes of Pawn Stars as well, but hey, better than you would expect.

19-11-2013, 01:30 AM
(19-11-2013 01:10 AM)Logisch Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:09 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  So, par for the course then?

Laughat

I'm not surprised.

That's true, but from what I'm reading from Formerly Cloud Strife, seems like it was at least fairly accurate at least. Besides, I'm not expecting historical accuracy anyway Tongue

19-11-2013, 01:34 AM
(19-11-2013 01:22 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:10 AM)Logisch Wrote:  What? The parts that were hard to swallow and were full of terrible and immoral things were omitted? Confirmation bias? NO WAI.
Laughat

I'm not surprised.

Well, they they aren't actually able to white wash all the killing out, as there is way too much of it in there to remove it all. But still, I think Christians have learned the stories as being good for so many years, even seeing the killing, or like with Abraham's son, they don't see it as horrendous.

It was really disappointing that they didn't put Job in there, and show "Satan" and "God" up in heaven, kicking it together like old friends, making a bet together over fucking Job up. Then "God" coming down at the end and talking mad shit to Job after "God" had just killed all of Job's family, livelihood, heath, and positions. I would have loved Christians to actually have to watch that part, with "God" being a complete dick and working with "Satan".

I like how in the oldest book in the Bible, Job shows ha-Satan (the accusor) as a member of God's celestial Divine Council (very polytheistic), and shows God as a superficial petty (and not at all omniscient) asshole.

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-11-2013, 01:36 AM
The producer of the series claimed that the show would cause sales of the bible to go up by millions of units. My brother pointed out that this was ridiculous because this is America, and they just gave everyone the movie version, so now they definitely aren't going to read it.