The Bible (History Channel Series)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2013, 01:39 AM
RE: The Bible (History Channel Series)
(19-11-2013 01:34 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-11-2013 01:22 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Well, they they aren't actually able to white wash all the killing out, as there is way too much of it in there to remove it all. But still, I think Christians have learned the stories as being good for so many years, even seeing the killing, or like with Abraham's son, they don't see it as horrendous.

It was really disappointing that they didn't put Job in there, and show "Satan" and "God" up in heaven, kicking it together like old friends, making a bet together over fucking Job up. Then "God" coming down at the end and talking mad shit to Job after "God" had just killed all of Job's family, livelihood, heath, and positions. I would have loved Christians to actually have to watch that part, with "God" being a complete dick and working with "Satan".

I like how in the oldest book in the Bible, Job shows ha-Satan (the accusor) as a member of God's celestial Divine Council (very polytheistic), and shows God as a superficial petty (and not at all omniscient) asshole.

The biggest asshole ever! In my mind, the book of Job is the most damning part of the bible. There is no way to redeem any idea of good in "God" out of that.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-11-2013, 01:46 AM
(19-11-2013 01:39 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  The biggest asshole ever! In my mind, the book of Job is the most damning part of the bible. There is no way to redeem any idea of good in "God" out of that.

I would have gone for the Great Flood and drowning the whole world, but Job does have a certain directness to it. People do tend to focus more on the tragedy of a single individual over the ending of entire nations. This is why a single missing child can make headlines for days, while the genocide of entire peoples is lucky to make the second page of a newspaper.

Isn't the diminishing returns of empathy seem like a flaw in the system? Some design eh? Dodgy

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
19-11-2013, 12:28 PM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2013 12:43 PM by Raptor Jesus.)
(19-11-2013 01:46 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  ...I would have gone for the Great Flood and drowning the whole world, but Job does have a certain directness to it....

The Flood is worst over all for sure. But I think Job is better for a look into the psychology of "God's" mind. You actually get to witness his sadistic nature.

In the Flood, "God" just gets disappointed with what he's created and man, and drowns people. But it's a bit like watching an action movie, where you see the hero shot the gun, but never see the blood or actual bullet wounds, and all the dying happens off screen, is implied and you can never verify that the hero did actually kill anyone. You know he did, but you don't have to fit it with the morality of watching your hero kill, and still calling him a hero.

But Job is like watching "American Psycho", but more graphic. You get to see behind the scenes and watch “God” delight in human misery. And then in the end after all of Job's suffering, talk mad shit to the him who he had been torturing the entire time! He is such a psychopath in that story.

19-11-2013, 12:39 PM
History channel does have some good stuff though. They done a history of satan special once and it covered the story of Job. Every detail. Also they done many banned from the bible segments.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
19-11-2013, 01:43 PM
(19-11-2013 12:39 PM)grizzlysnake Wrote:  History channel does have some good stuff though. They done a history of satan special once and it covered the story of Job. Every detail. Also they done many banned from the bible segments.

Yeah, I've seen a couple of those as well. Very informative. Well...the one on the Anti-Christ was just plain shit.

20-11-2013, 12:20 AM
Do any of you by chance know the title of the video on History channel that covers Satan?

When I google History Channel, and Satan, I just get a bunch of articles about how the actor who plays Satan on the History Channel's Bible miniseries' looks like Obama. I can't find find the actual show they did on Satan.

20-11-2013, 12:57 AM
(20-11-2013 12:20 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Do any of you by chance know the title of the video on History channel that covers Satan?

When I google History Channel, and Satan, I just get a bunch of articles about how the actor who plays Satan on the History Channel's Bible miniseries' looks like Obama. I can't find find the actual show they did on Satan.

Try Googling for their specific Bible based series, then search for those series with the keyword Satan. Probably much better then just searching for History Channel, as that Bible series Obama look-alike was kind of a thing... Dodgy

20-11-2013, 01:02 AM
Thanks. I actually just had to remember how google works. I had to search "history channel satan -obama". I forgot you can put a minus sign in front of what you want excluded from a search. Found it right at the top when I did that.

It's titled, "God vs Satan: The Final Battle". At least if it's the right one.

20-11-2013, 01:05 AM
Actually I don't know if this is the same one you guys were referring to. It seems to be about Satan in the Apocalypse and end-times. I just wanted to see what it actually had to say about Satan in the bible and the whole Job thing. You know, before satan was Satan...

20-11-2013, 01:44 AM
(20-11-2013 01:05 AM)Raptor Jesus Wrote:  Actually I don't know if this is the same one you guys were referring to. It seems to be about Satan in the Apocalypse and end-times. I just wanted to see what it actually had to say about Satan in the bible and the whole Job thing. You know, before satan was Satan...

The Evolution of Satan in the Bible.