The Bible Is The Foundation of Morality

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2014, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 09:31 AM by DLJ.)
Video The Bible Is The Foundation of Morality

Or so they say...
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like donlee600's post
19-08-2014, 03:55 AM
RE: The Bible Is The Foundation of Morality
[Image: christians.jpg]

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
19-08-2014, 08:08 AM
(18-08-2014 10:11 PM)donlee600 Wrote:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1THo5lCh1s

Or so they say...

It's not the foundation of mine and mine is superior. First of all a code of morality is a chosen code of values not of commandments. Ask a theist what the principles are behind his morals and blank out.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
19-08-2014, 08:41 AM
If slavery and Deuteronomy 25:11-12 is your idea of morality you might not be that moral a person.

Hate the belief, love the believer.
[+] 1 user Likes Elder Cunningham's post
19-08-2014, 08:46 AM
I find it interesting that many conclude that the bible is a basis or a code of morality or ethics. There were other civilizations that thrived before the time of the bible and I'm sure they knew that killing or stealing was wrong (granted that could be the individuals perspective and how they justified it). I feel that if someone uses the bible as a basis for a moral system to guide themselves they don't use their brains either. What is right and wrong is a personal conclusion that is greatly influences by culture and social structure and can vary also depending upon their environmental experiences as well.

I have issues with those that claim the bible as their moral foundation. Obviously they have allowed those who have picked through the bible tell them the fluffy parts and not read the really gritty parts of the bible where the number slain by god greatly out weights that of others. I'm probably rambling and my thoughts are not unique, it just frustrating when a book such as the bible is used for a moral foundation. There are far better options to build a moral foundation.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Kemasyn's post
19-08-2014, 08:49 AM
(19-08-2014 08:46 AM)Kemasyn Wrote:  I find it interesting that many conclude that the bible is a basis or a code of morality or ethics. There were other civilizations that thrived before the time of the bible and I'm sure they knew that killing or stealing was wrong (granted that could be the individuals perspective and how they justified it).

Because they believe God created the universe and he created it with those rules. Doesn't make much sense but you know, Christians.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 1 user Likes JDog554's post
19-08-2014, 09:23 AM
'Morals' and 'morality' were developed when humans discovered that working together as a group was mutually beneficial. It's why they are subjective from culture to culture. Morality predates Yahweh, and as far as I'm concerned that's as far as the debate goes.
19-08-2014, 09:29 AM
Re: RE: The Bible Is The Foundation of Morality
(19-08-2014 09:23 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  'Morals' and 'morality' were developed when humans discovered that working together as a group was mutually beneficial. It's why they are subjective from culture to culture. Morality predates Yahweh, and as far as I'm concerned that's as far as the debate goes.

It preceded humans too. There's plenty of mammals that have the elements of morality within their make up.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 2 users Like ClydeLee's post
19-08-2014, 09:32 AM
Excellent point Clyde. I should have specified.
19-08-2014, 09:34 AM
(19-08-2014 09:23 AM)Fodder_From_The_Truth Wrote:  'Morals' and 'morality' were developed when humans discovered that working together as a group was mutually beneficial. It's why they are subjective from culture to culture. Morality predates Yahweh, and as far as I'm concerned that's as far as the debate goes.

I've been interested more recently about the relationship of morality and religion recently. I came across a Ted Talk about moral behavior in animals. This video from Fans de Waal is very much along the lines of making the connection of moral behavior in animals (which we too are a part) that have no reason to rely upon writings of a god on how to behave in a social construct.

I never had the extensive relationship with religion as many being the foundation for morality and relating the actions of others based upon writing that are very outdated. It intrigues me now as to the influence such writings still have over the greater population of our current society. Learning what I can as I go along about evolution and the relationship of cognitive abilities as we evolved from our primate ancestors has been fascinating. Primates today show a moral construct by ways of working together to achieve a similar goal and 'making up' after a scuffle or disagreement. We are not so dis-similar in our behaviors, though we are far more intelligent we seem to be idiots when religion is involved.

I tend to ask random questions, sometime stupid ones, but I can almost guarantee I'm smarter for asking than not.
[+] 1 user Likes Kemasyn's post