The Bible Is a Joke

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-11-2011, 11:20 PM
RE: The Bible Is a Joke
(18-11-2011 08:10 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  You just made me reach for my Adivan...
4 Spiritual Laws makes me think of the Chick Tracts. Did you ever get warped by those?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

They scared the hell out of me when I was young and more impressionable than now. But the pictures were pretty cool.

I am fortunate that just now was my first encounter with such nastiness. I got this far: But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64.6 - which gave me a smile. Earlier today I noted a Christian affinity for this nutty cat, and there it is! Other than a penultimate single line from Psalms (another xtian fave), this is the only OT reference on the first page... Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
19-11-2011, 01:15 AM
4 Spiritual Laws makes me think of the Chick Tracts. Did you ever get warped by those?

Chick tracts... EEeeeewww!

Actually, by the time Chick was the big thing, the left side of my lip was already beginning to raise when confronted by evangelism.

I was wondering, just what kind of Baptist you were... Southern, American, Independent...? Were you one of those pastors who would get caught in some nastiness with the church secretary? I remember a lot of those growing up. Either there would be tears of repentance and then start doing the new secretary, or he would end up getting a divorce and remarrying. Then he would have to split the church and start a new ministry. Damn, the sin never ended. At least that was one good thing.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
Find all posts by this user
19-11-2011, 10:06 AM (This post was last modified: 19-11-2011 10:08 AM by Erxomai.)

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
26-11-2011, 10:53 PM
(18-11-2011 11:20 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

They scared the hell out of me when I was young and more impressionable than now. But the pictures were pretty cool.

I am fortunate that just now was my first encounter with such nastiness. I got this far: But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away. Isaiah 64.6 - which gave me a smile. Earlier today I noted a Christian affinity for this nutty cat, and there it is! Other than a penultimate single line from Psalms (another xtian fave), this is the only OT reference on the first page... Tongue

Hey, HoC, I just realized your obsession with 4 and your encounter with the 4 Spiritual Laws. Coincidence? I think not.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
27-11-2011, 09:59 AM
(19-11-2011 01:15 AM)defacto7 Wrote:  Chick tracts... EEeeeewww!

Actually, by the time Chick was the big thing, the left side of my lip was already beginning to raise when confronted by evangelism.

I was wondering, just what kind of Baptist you were... Southern, American, Independent...? Were you one of those pastors who would get caught in some nastiness with the church secretary? I remember a lot of those growing up. Either there would be tears of repentance and then start doing the new secretary, or he would end up getting a divorce and remarrying. Then he would have to split the church and start a new ministry. Damn, the sin never ended. At least that was one good thing.

There was plenty of "sin" going on behind my closed doors at home, but I managed to mostly avoid the typical church scandals--at least in Public! My secretaries were unfortunately older church ladies.

I was part of a little known Baptist group. Did you know there are hundreds of variations? There's a strong message of Unity in Christ. They're called Seventh Day Baptists. Theologically somewhere between Southern Baptists and American Baptists, for the reader who hasn't tuned out yet. The biggest distinction is a belief in observing the 4th Commandment: ie., the Sabbath being on the 7th day. Little known as they are, sadly Seventh Day Baptists were responsible for the much more notorious and much more cultic Seventh-day Adventists.

Defacto, you must be only just a little bit older than me if you were finding freedom as the Chick Tracts were ramping up. The irony of this discussion is, I went to Thanksgiving at my Mom and StepBob's house and he had a Chick Tract sitting out. Rolleyes

~Izel
27-11-2011, 10:52 AM
(27-11-2011 09:59 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  They're called Seventh Day Baptists. Theologically somewhere between Southern Baptists and American Baptists, for the reader who hasn't tuned out yet. The biggest distinction is a belief in observing the 4th Commandment: ie., the Sabbath being on the 7th day. Little known as they are, sadly Seventh Day Baptists were responsible for the much more notorious and much more cultic Seventh-day Adventists.

Defacto, you must be only just a little bit older than me if you were finding freedom as the Chick Tracts were ramping up. The irony of this discussion is, I went to Thanksgiving at my Mom and StepBob's house and he had a Chick Tract sitting out. Rolleyes

Wasn't the Seventh Day Adventist started by some lady named White? Was she 7DBaptist originally?

I have to confess, I have never heard of the Seventh Day Baptists but I knew there were an unreasonable number of Baptists. My background was Church of God... the Anderson Indiana ones. Armenian, holiness, similar to the Nazarenes. A lot of music... Ever heard of Sandy Patty? She was an old girl friend of mine in school. Bill Gaither... god I hated those people and their music.... I was a classically trained musician and that stuff just burned the hell out of my ears. They thought I was satan incarnate because I didn't want to sing stuff like "Jesus, Jesus, Jeeeeeeesus, there's just something about that name......" AAAHHHHHHH! I think I'll regurgitate now.

Who can turn skies back and begin again?
27-11-2011, 03:27 PM
(27-11-2011 10:52 AM)defacto7 Wrote:  Wasn't the Seventh Day Adventist started by some lady named White? Was she 7DBaptist originally?

I have to confess, I have never heard of the Seventh Day Baptists but I knew there were an unreasonable number of Baptists. My background was Church of God... the Anderson Indiana ones. Armenian, holiness, similar to the Nazarenes. A lot of music... Ever heard of Sandy Patty? She was an old girl friend of mine in school. Bill Gaither... god I hated those people and their music.... I was a classically trained musician and that stuff just burned the hell out of my ears. They thought I was satan incarnate because I didn't want to sing stuff like "Jesus, Jesus, Jeeeeeeesus, there's just something about that name......" AAAHHHHHHH! I think I'll regurgitate now.

Dude, I don't blame you, I kind of want to throw up on your behalf! I worked for a preschool that was in a Church of God while I was in seminary. The Associate Pastor who got me the job, I'm pretty sure was gay, which always made me sad for him if he was, because that would be an awful church to be in for a gay person.

My mom is a huge Gaither fan. She has a couple of DVDs she likes to pop in now and then. Makes me gag when I hear them (and that was when I believed the words, but like you, the music really hurt my ears). I remember she was also a Sandy Patty fan when I was in high school. Sandy was on the approved list of acceptable music that I could listen too. I hated her music, but I thought she was kind of hot, you lucky dog!!!

Seventh-day Adventists do have a "prophet" that they follow called Ellen G. White (Since we were the "competition" we liked to call her Egg White). She didn't start the Adventists, she just became their early spokesperson. They were started by a group who predicted Jesus was returning in 1844 (kind of like that Harold Camping guy). When he didn't come back, must have missed his flight or something, they sort of looked for a way to re-invent themselves. One of their members met a Seventh Day Baptist named Rachel Oakes, and she gave them information about the Sabbath being on the seventh day. They went on to be "famous". Seventh Day Baptists went on to remain obscure which is why you never heard of them!

~Izel