The Bible Stories Are Metaphorical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-09-2010, 12:53 PM
The Bible Stories Are Metaphorical
What exactly am I supposed to say to this?

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-09-2010, 03:55 PM

RE: The Bible Stories Are Metaphorical
Well, I am a Christian and I disagree with that statement. I would answer: "Do you believe all of the stories are metaphorical? If not, which ones do you believe are metaphorical, and which ones do you believe are literal? What makes you the authority on deciding which is which?" Of course, I am asking as a Christian who believes literally in the Bible, so my answer to him/her would be different than that of someone who does not believe in the divinity of the Bible in the first place. So you got my two cents worth, but it will be interesting to hear what others on this forum will answer.
Quote this message in a reply
23-09-2010, 01:54 AM
If they're metaphorical, that means they're just stories with no historical basis.
Hello Barley!

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
23-09-2010, 02:07 AM

I see the argument that the bible is metaphorical as a convenient way out of the violence, obvious mythology and contradictions with which the bible is laced. Moderate believers can explain away all those problems if one sees the bible as allegories, metaphors, parables, etc. Someone who sees the bible as literal truth in all aspects is going to have some challenges in a rational discussion because of the aforementioned violence, obvious mythology, and contradictions, but at least their position is consistent with the text they proclaim to be the foundation of their faith. What they usually say is that "God works in mysterious ways, well beyond our understanding." A convenient escape hatch ...
23-09-2010, 02:40 AM
If the bible is literal, think of all the children, babies, pregnant women and their unborn that god drowned in Noah's flood and burned to death in Sodom and Gamorah. That's what I call a peaceful, benevolent and loving god. Halleluyah.
23-09-2010, 04:20 AM
I asked this specific person where they drew the line between metaphorical and literal in the Bible, and why the Bible is metaphorical and God is not.

[Image: 4hs9p5.png]

"Remember, Jesus would rather constantly shame gays than let orphans have a family."
-Stephen Colbert
23-09-2010, 05:34 AM
"Why not live by some more friendly metaphorical stories then? May I suggest this collection of nursery rhymes?"

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
23-09-2010, 01:36 PM
I would reply with something like.

" So you just agreed that all of those so called miracles are impossible and did not happen? Keep your mind open, perhaps the whole existence of God is a Metaphor."

And then go from there with the arguement.

And Hello Barley, I hope you stay on this website and post your opinions. I'm interested in what a Christian would say in response to most of these threads.
23-09-2010, 10:27 PM

(22-09-2010 03:55 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Well, I am a Christian and I disagree with that statement. I would answer: "Do you believe all of the stories are metaphorical? If not, which ones do you believe are metaphorical, and which ones do you believe are literal? What makes you the authority on deciding which is which?" Of course, I am asking as a Christian who believes literally in the Bible, so my answer to him/her would be different than that of someone who does not believe in the divinity of the Bible in the first place. So you got my two cents worth, but it will be interesting to hear what others on this forum will answer.

Hi, Barley!! Good to see you (metaphorically) again!

Out of curiousity, do you believe that the entire Bible is literal? Do you believe, for example, that you must literally eat and drink the body and blood of Jesus to have eternal life as it says (quite literally) in John 6:50-59? If you're Protestant, chances are pretty good you don't take that bit literally. If the interpretation of the literality of Scripture has evolved (and it has ... A LOT if you read history) then christianity can't even agree over what it believes really happened and what didn't. On the other hand, if you literalize something the early church fathers didn't even believe was literal (like the creation story, for example) then that means christians today are even further removed from sanity than they were 2,000 years ago. Why do you want to be a part of that? (I ask sincerely, by the way.)

Sorry to divert from the topic of the thread, but this was on my mind today and you're still our token christian.
24-09-2010, 07:44 AM

(23-09-2010 10:27 PM)athnostic Wrote:  
(22-09-2010 03:55 PM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Well, I am a Christian and I disagree with that statement. I would answer: "Do you believe all of the stories are metaphorical? If not, which ones do you believe are metaphorical, and which ones do you believe are literal? What makes you the authority on deciding which is which?" Of course, I am asking as a Christian who believes literally in the Bible, so my answer to him/her would be different than that of someone who does not believe in the divinity of the Bible in the first place. So you got my two cents worth, but it will be interesting to hear what others on this forum will answer.

Hi, Barley!! Good to see you (metaphorically) again!

Out of curiousity, do you believe that the entire Bible is literal? Do you believe, for example, that you must literally eat and drink the body and blood of Jesus to have eternal life as it says (quite literally) in John 6:50-59? If you're Protestant, chances are pretty good you don't take that bit literally. If the interpretation of the literality of Scripture has evolved (and it has ... A LOT if you read history) then christianity can't even agree over what it believes really happened and what didn't. On the other hand, if you literalize something the early church fathers didn't even believe was literal (like the creation story, for example) then that means christians today are even further removed from sanity than they were 2,000 years ago. Why do you want to be a part of that? (I ask sincerely, by the way.)

Sorry to divert from the topic of the thread, but this was on my mind today and you're still our token christian.

Yes and No. I believe everything that is written in the Bible, but you have to realize that some of it is historical and other parts are poetry. Do I believe in Creation as it is written? Yes. Do I believe Noah's Ark? Yes. Do I believe Jonah lived in a fish? Yes. This is not unbelievable to me because I believe with God all things are possible. Is everything written in Psalms, Proverbs and Song of Solomon literal? There's probably some artistic license there.

Regarding John 6:50-59. If I was a football player playing in front of 100,000 screaming fans and had the game of my life because I was so pumped up, and in an interview after the game I told the reporter: "I fed off the crowd tonight," would you conclude that I ate the fans for dinner? Jesus is telling us that he is the source of eternal life. That food and water will nourish the body, but he nourishes the soul, which is eternal. Now, I was raised catholic, and they believe that tduring mass the priest turns the bread into the actual body, and the wine into the actual blood of Jesus. That's pagan and not in accordance with the Bible. But then again, the catholics also support evolution so their departure from the bible is not a one-time accident.

As for the rest of your comments, I can't say that I agree with you there. But you did actually make my point for me. Yes, christians can't agree on much, even basic beliefs. That's why I do not believe in "religion". What I have is a personal relationship with Jesus. As in all relationships, you can't know everything about the other person, but if you truly love the other person, you will always strive to learn more and strengthen the relationship. I can't answer every apparent contradiction you bring up to me just like you cannot tell me every excruciating detail about how you think the Universe came about. But that doesn't stop you from believing in the Big Bang and Evolution. I guess I could ask you why you want to be a part of a belief where the most dedicated scientists can't even agree on how the universe began?

Thanks for your questions. If you had any others feel free to open another dedicated thread.

Barley