The Bible Stories Are Metaphorical

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-09-2010, 07:51 AM
RE: The Bible Stories Are Metaphorical
Quote:I guess I could ask you why you want to be a part of a belief where the most dedicated scientists can't even agree on how the universe began?
I hope you do'nt mind if I answer too. Sounds like you think the beginning of the universe would be somehow a simple subject of research by the word ''even''.

Lack of evidence. ''The beauty of science''. We do'nt know (at least not yet).

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 07:58 AM

(24-09-2010 07:51 AM)Kikko Wrote:  
Quote:I guess I could ask you why you want to be a part of a belief where the most dedicated scientists can't even agree on how the universe began?
I hope you do'nt mind if I answer too. Sounds like you think the beginning of the universe would be somehow a simple subject of research by the word ''even''.

Lack of evidence. ''The beauty of science''. We do'nt know (at least not yet).

I don't mind you answering! I thank you for it! My point in asking is that Athnostic seemed to give the impression that christians should know everything about God, and if they don't, they should not be a part of that group. Apologies if I misinterpreted.
Quote this message in a reply
24-09-2010, 09:17 PM

(24-09-2010 07:44 AM)BarleyMcFlexo Wrote:  Yes and No. I believe everything that is written in the Bible, but you have to realize that some of it is historical and other parts are poetry. Do I believe in Creation as it is written?

Why, since many of the early church fathers (pre-300 AD) did not? What do you know now that they didn't?

Quote:Now, I was raised catholic, and they believe that tduring mass the priest turns the bread into the actual body, and the wine into the actual blood of Jesus. That's pagan and not in accordance with the Bible. But then again, the catholics also support evolution so their departure from the bible is not a one-time accident.

LOL -- of course the early church (pre-Catholic, back before the big split) didn't follow the Bible. Most of it wasn't compiled or written yet when the foundational doctrines of christianity were formed. If christians in 100 AD believed in the literality of the eucharist, why do you not? What do you know now that they didn't know in the first 3 generations after Jesus?

And don't hate on the pagans. Smile A lot of stuff you believe is actually pagan too.

I guess my point is that the allegorical/literal interpretation of the bible has changed so drastically in the 2,000 years since it was written that we can safely assume the whole thing is allegorical. If anybody had a corner on what was true about Jesus it seems like it might have been those who lived in the same century he did. The bible may reflect some truth about humanity (since it was written by humanity,) but to take any of it more (or in the case of communion less) literally even than Origen seems to make the christian take on what is metaphorical and what isn't less reliable.

Quote:What I have is a personal relationship with Jesus.

How is that possible? This would be like saying that President Obama and I have a personal relationship just because I pretend I'm talking to him in my car and I read his speeches. That would be ridiculous. Substitute any other name of a non-living person for "Jesus" and everyone would assume you were a complete lunatic.

Yet. However, it is possible that they will one day agree on an answer just like 99.9% of them agree on evolution. It isn't possible that anything will ever be decided by believing in Jesus. I'm throwing my lot in with the best statistical probability.
Quote this message in a reply