The Bible (TV series)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-03-2013, 07:21 PM (This post was last modified: 11-03-2013 07:26 PM by Misanthropik.)
The Bible (TV series)
I know this seems like it should be in the "Entertainment" section, but it's not really about the show itself. (Well...maybe a point or two) It's more about my family's reaction(s) to it.

I ventured to my parents' house yesterday to help my dad remove some trees from the property; a task which took less time than we thought it would and afforded us a few good hours of relaxation afterward. So, retreating to the living-room portion of their upstairs bedroom - as we often do to be men and watch manly shows together - we decided to watch "The Bible" on the History channel. I was interested in seeing it and didn't realize that it premiered last week, and we turned it on just before the destruction of Sodom. It plays as I had hoped it would; like one big dramatization of biblical mythology, rather than a historical examination of events. I suppose that's to be expected, considering the fact that it's all Bronze-age myth. Anywho, I found it interesting that they left out some rather significant - and unsavory - portions of the biblical story. They seem to have skipped over the near-gang-rape of Lot's daughters and the subsequent incest which arose after Sodom's fall.

Another interesting point which I'm sure many understand, but which I did not really realize until seeing the show, is that God seems to be used consistently as an effective weapon with which the people of the Bible acquire anything they want; be it freedom, entire cities, whatever. I can't help but wonder if any sound-minded christians out there (if there exist such things) have seen this drama played out for them in full-color HD, and realized, too, that God is merely a tool used by mortal man to acquire such riches. Because it is blatantly obvious (and even rather convenient) that whatever these people want; God also wants them to have. With that in mind, they're completely justified in invading a city, killing its inhabitants and taking up residence for themselves, aren't they?

Anyway, the most interesting parts of the night were my parents' reactions to their Bible being played out for them. My 7-year-old brother happened to be in the room at the time we were watching the show, and Abraham was gearing up to get his slaughter on with his son Isaac. So Isaac, being the wildly disobedient boy that he was, was objecting loudly to his father's attempts to bind him upon the altar and trying his best to get away. (Perhaps he was stoned later for disobeying his parents?) The entire event was dramatic and intense, and after Abraham's hand was stayed and everything was ok; I asked my dad:

"Hey dad."

He looked up and I pointed to my young brother.

"God says you've gotta kill Matthew. Like, right now. What are you gonna do?"

His response was surprising in that his face visibly reeled in horror at the bluntness of my inquiry and, in an irritated voice he said "John, shut up."

I then explained to him that his reaction spoke volumes about his personal morality in comparison with God. I explained that he either recoiled in horror because he would in fact kill his own son, and was yet ashamed; or because he would not kill his own son, and was yet (possibly) ashamed. Either way, I explained, his moral compass told him that killing his own son (who isn't even technically his own flesh-and-blood) was monstrous; regardless of how we flipped it. This lead into another point about how Abraham was prompted to talk God down from his bloodlust in regard to destroying the city of Sodom, and how this illustrated that a mere human had the moral superiority to step in and attempt to stay God's hand. I could see that these two points made an impression upon my dad, though to what extent, I cannot say. But his eyes were opened - even if only slightly.

The second interesting part of the night was when my mother overheard the comotion on the TV which depicted the parting of the Red sea. Again, my young brother was in the room, and my mom is very particular about now allowing him to watch anything "scary" which might damage his young psyche. Sitting in the next room on her computer, she overheard the screams and the yells as the Israelites crossed the parted sea and demanded to know what we were allowing my brother to watch. (He wasn't really "watching", but he was present at the time)

"What are you watching?" she asked, loudly. But in her increasing concern, she didn't alllow any time for my answer before demanding, "What are you letting him watch?!"
With that, she marched into the room to see what horrors we were allowing to be shown on TV. She looked at the TV, then to me, and I said (in the calmest, most humble voice I could possibly muster): "It's the Bible, mommy. Moses is freeing his people." Smile

I began to celebrate internally as I exposed her absurd and horrific biblical myths for the terrors that they are, but my feeling of triumph was undermined by her subsequent and jaw-dropping reaction.

"Oh...well at least turn it down a little."

Shocking

I was stunned, and could not let this glaring point go unaddressed. "Hold on!" I said before explaining to her that, just moments before, she was dead-set on revealing and stopping the horrible scary show that we were letting the boy watch, and yet the moment she finds out it is a depiction of what is written in her sacred text; well suddenly it's all fine and dandy. This fell on deluded ears, of course, and she quickly wrapped up her work on the computer so that she could join in watching the rest of the program - insisting that my brother sit and watch it with us.

I was angered and irritated by this, but I take solace in the fact that at least my dad had exposed some cracks in his foundation. He's always been more liberal than my mom (it is obvious to the immediate family that he only undertook a baptism so that he might be that much more "saved"), and I'm confident that - despite his sometimes infuriating capacity for religious irrationality - I can get through to him. At least more so than with my mom; who has an immediate and even hostile defense in place for even the most innocent of inquiries about her faith.

(My dear, sweet grandmother was present for the first half of our little adventure, and you can be sure that she gave her $20 - two meager cents at a time - about the whole thing, but this time, sorry to say, she just wasn't worth writing about)

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Misanthropik's post
11-03-2013, 08:36 PM
RE: The Bible (TV series)
I happened to be browsing what was on TV earlier today and "The Bible" caught my attention. I actually went to watch it. Upon reading the title, (before I changed to watch it) I let out a laugh and the first "word" out of my mouth was, "UGH." I have no idea why I said it. But I still went to it. The boyfriend was, of course, sitting next to me. (Maybe THAT'S why I said it?) Consider

He asked, "Why would you laugh about a Bible story?" There was a slight irritation in his voice.

"I don't know. It's on the Lifetime Network. They only show 'chick shows.' I was just surprised."

We start watching it. Well, I was busy scratching off the stuff on my BINGO lotto ticket thing, but I was in the room... Anyway, it kept playing and I ended up just wanting to change it. He gets up and starts to head in the bedroom.

"You going in there?" I asked as I changed the channel to Investigation Discovery.

"Yeah. Were you watching it for ME or something?"

"NO. I just got bored and have been wondering if it would be offensive to change the channel in the middle of a 'Bible story.' I don't like to offend you."

I realize NOW that story wasn't that interesting. Sorry about that. I just thought it was interesting to see that somebody else wrote about the same series that I was just realizing only hours before was even made. Drinking Beverage

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
Find all posts by this user
11-03-2013, 08:43 PM
(11-03-2013 08:36 PM)Peanut Wrote:  I happened to be browsing what was on TV earlier today and "The Bible" caught my attention. I actually went to watch it. Upon reading the title, (before I changed to watch it) I let out a laugh and the first "word" out of my mouth was, "UGH." I have no idea why I said it. But I still went to it. The boyfriend was, of course, sitting next to me. (Maybe THAT'S why I said it?) Consider

He asked, "Why would you laugh about a Bible story?" There was a slight irritation in his voice.

"I don't know. It's on the Lifetime Network. They only show 'chick shows.' I was just surprised."

We start watching it. Well, I was busy scratching off the stuff on my BINGO lotto ticket thing, but I was in the room... Anyway, it kept playing and I ended up just wanting to change it. He gets up and starts to head in the bedroom.

"You going in there?" I asked as I changed the channel to Investigation Discovery.

"Yeah. Were you watching it for ME or something?"

"NO. I just got bored and have been wondering if it would be offensive to change the channel in the middle of a 'Bible story.' I don't like to offend you."

I realize NOW that story wasn't that interesting. Sorry about that. I just thought it was interesting to see that somebody else wrote about the same series that I was just realizing only hours before was even made. Drinking Beverage
I'll make it more interesting for you: We were watching it at the same time. Wink

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-03-2013, 09:03 PM
(11-03-2013 08:43 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  I'll make it more interesting for you: We were watching it at the same time. Wink
That DOES make it more interesting Cool

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 1 user Likes Peanut's post
13-03-2013, 12:14 AM
Ah Christ it's a SERIES! I thought it was just an exclusive movie, never to be played again. I was also watching it at my parents house and laughed that they made Samson a black man with dread locks.

[Image: bible-samson.jpg]

My family never responds to my mocking laughter because they still claim its just a phase I'm going through.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
[+] 1 user Likes Buddy Christ's post
13-03-2013, 05:19 AM
Lol! I like the black Samson with the dread locks.
Much better than the 70's black exploit movies (Blackula, Black Sampson, etc.). Loved them 'fros.

Big Grin [Image: blax_black-samson.jpg]

“I've done everything the Bible says — even the stuff that contradicts the other stuff!"— Ned Flanders