The Bible - all or nothing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 01:51 PM
RE: The Bible - all or nothing?
(08-12-2013 12:45 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  As bad as some things are in the OT, there are still positive qualities about it.

This is the most asinine comment I have read on here recently. You could literally replace "OT" with absolutely anything. Hitler, the book of 'How to Train up a Child,' the Inquisition, etc.

You are verifying the claim that the only god that exists is the one that you see in the mirror. It is your brain that decides which things are literal and which things should be taken with a grain of salt.

God is a construct of your mind--that is why it takes on so many interpretations. If you dont like gays, neither does your god. If you want to ignore pieces and parts of the bible, your god allows you to do that--but then when you need to twist pieces and parts to show the validity of the book, your god allows that too. If you are scared to die, your god can reincarnate you or give you some eternal life. If you don't like the people that disagree with your god, your god creates a really special place for them to suffer.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jaguar3030's post
08-12-2013, 01:57 PM
(08-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  I know it seems that way, but actually it is not. The bible is not meant to be able to be understood by anybody, but only by guidance of the Holy Spirit. There's a perfectly good reason for this. It is the only way to destroy the vanity that is the cause of corruption. It isn't meant to be personal.

If it wasn't meant to be personal then you wouldn't have over 41,000 christian denominations. You wouldn't have people decide that some things are true, and other things are just parables.

But I'm sure that whichever way YOU follow the bible is the right way---because that's where your personal biases lie.
[+] 5 users Like jaguar3030's post
08-12-2013, 02:14 PM
(08-12-2013 01:57 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  I know it seems that way, but actually it is not. The bible is not meant to be able to be understood by anybody, but only by guidance of the Holy Spirit. There's a perfectly good reason for this. It is the only way to destroy the vanity that is the cause of corruption. It isn't meant to be personal.

If it wasn't meant to be personal then you wouldn't have over 41,000 christian denominations. You wouldn't have people decide that some things are true, and other things are just parables.

But I'm sure that whichever way YOU follow the bible is the right way---because that's where your personal biases lie.
I think you misunderstand. I am saying it is not personal so as to be demeaning or esteeming of any persons religiosity. I don't follow the bible as you have suggested. Nor does the bible say I can or should. Indeed that is my point.
08-12-2013, 02:15 PM
(08-12-2013 01:57 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ...

Who'da thunk it?
[Image: GOD-ego1%20copy.jpg]

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
08-12-2013, 03:01 PM
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  Call me a Red-Letter Christian if you will.

I'm liking you already. Big Grin

(08-12-2013 12:45 PM)kim Wrote:  Maryland:
"That no religious test ought ever to be required as a qualification for any office of profit or trust in this State, other than a declaration of belief in the existence of God; nor shall the Legislature prescribe any other oath of office than the oath prescribed by this Constitution.”

No one is more embarrassed than us. Worse yet, even after the Supreme Court ruling in that Torcaso fiasco, WE STILL CAN'T GET THE FUCKING WORDING CHANGED! So ashamed. So very ashamed. Blush

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2013, 03:08 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 03:19 PM by Cathym112.)
(08-12-2013 11:49 AM)childeye Wrote:  I don't know whether Jesus walked on water or not. It seems a useful metaphor to me about doing the impossible. I'm just being honest. But I do know that there is deep wisdom and meaning in the scriptures. Frankly speaking, mind blowing. I also know that no one can uncover it's secrets without a pure heart. Therefore it was designed to repel the proud. I've never seen any other writings do that.

How is an inanimate object (i.e., a book in this case) capable of doing anything? Including repelling the proud? I think what you mean to say is that the "The Proud are repelled from the book." But enough of my grammar police.

Are you saying that anyone that disagrees with it is proud?

you see…everyone has their thing that really pushes their buttons and this is mine. "Proud", in this context, means having or showing a high or excessively high opinion of oneself or one's importance.

Anyone who disagrees, or disbelieves is not proud - it is you that is proud. You think you are the only one who is "pure hearted" enough to understand the message. And if someone rejects that message, it must be because they are impure. There are billions of people who do not believe in the biblical god, jesus christ or the holy sprit, either because their god is different or they don't believe in god….. they must all be proud, eh? Only YOU are lucky enough to have been born into the correct religion, the correct denomination, and have the correct understanding of "the message." Well lookie lucky you. With all of these other gods, other religions, other denominations, and other interpretations, could it be statistically probable that you have the winning numbers…the golden ticket into the chocolate factory? Did you even consider that possibility? Of course not. because thats the definition of "proud" my child.

Do you mean to tell me that every hindi, buddist, muslim, jew, etc. is proud because they reject the bible and the horse it rode in on? Rubbish.

That kind of thinking is the epitome of pride.

(08-12-2013 11:49 AM)childeye Wrote:  Sometimes people say to me, do you think the bible is without error. I respond by saying that I don't even understand it all to be able to say. I think it is wrong to call it the Word of God since that can be misleading. People then use it to say this is what God wants be cause the bible says so. It happens on this forum all the time. The bible its self does not speak of the Word being anything but Spirit in the purest sense. I see the Word in countless movies, books, songs, paintings, etc...Therefore I would say the bible is a testimony to the Word and even according to it's own description, that is why the Word says." Go look in your precious scriptures in where you think you have eternal life, for they all testify to me."

This word salad makes no sense. You think by trying to sound poetic, you will sound profound. Nope. You just sound like someone who hasn't the foggiest idea of what the hell they are talking about.

A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day - Bill Watterson
[+] 1 user Likes Cathym112's post
08-12-2013, 03:11 PM
(08-12-2013 02:15 PM)DLJ Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:57 PM)jaguar3030 Wrote:  ...

Who'da thunk it?
[Image: GOD-ego1%20copy.jpg]

Well god is the ego brahTongue It is something to overcome

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 1 user Likes grizzlysnake's post
08-12-2013, 03:13 PM
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  A piece of literature meant to be read and analyzed, like any other book.
Not really. Those who are writings Scriptures are doing it having influence of the Holy Ghost. In order to understand correctly Scriptures someone has to have influence of the Holy Ghost.
This is the only way.
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  Well, the exact same thing is happening with the Bible. I don't think the majority, if any, of the Old Testament actually happened. I think it's all just a story.
Is this what Spirit told/taught you?

(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  But I firmly believe in what Jesus taught and I think that's what Christianity's real purpose is; to spread what he said. Call me a Red-Letter Christian if you will.
And what did He said that in your opinion that is so important?

(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  My point is: why does the Bible have to be taken literally? Why can't I think some things were meant to be literal and some things were just stories?
It depends. Some things has to be taken literally, some are metaphors. Ask me and I can share with you. Then ask God and by the power of the Holy Ghost you will know if it is true. When Spirit testifies you will know in your mind and in your heart that it is true.
08-12-2013, 03:16 PM
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  A piece of literature meant to be read and analyzed, like any other book.
Not really. Those who are writings Scriptures are doing it having influence of the Holy Ghost. In order to understand correctly Scriptures someone has to have influence of the Holy Ghost.
This is the only way.
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  Well, the exact same thing is happening with the Bible. I don't think the majority, if any, of the Old Testament actually happened. I think it's all just a story.
Is this what Spirit told/taught you?

(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  But I firmly believe in what Jesus taught and I think that's what Christianity's real purpose is; to spread what he said. Call me a Red-Letter Christian if you will.
And what did He said that in your opinion that is so important?

(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  My point is: why does the Bible have to be taken literally? Why can't I think some things were meant to be literal and some things were just stories?
It depends. Some things has to be taken literally, some are metaphors. Ask me and I can share with you. Then ask God and by the power of the Holy Ghost you will know if it is true. When Spirit testifies you will know in your mind and in your heart that it is true.
08-12-2013, 03:25 PM
(08-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  It isn't meant to be personal.
Oops

Well, so much for that personal relationship stuff. Dodgy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein