The Bible - all or nothing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 05:04 PM
RE: The Bible - all or nothing?
(08-12-2013 04:54 PM)kim Wrote:  Thank you. I will hold you to this.
OK. I will only answer your questions if you are going to ask me.

(08-12-2013 04:54 PM)kim Wrote:  If someone needs and asks for help it is human nature to provide help. But if your idea of help is to provide them with god, you miss the point of human nature, you miss the point of helping your fellow man.
The only true reason to help others is1) compassion, 2)love.

(08-12-2013 04:54 PM)kim Wrote:  The point I'm trying to help you realize is that not everyone needs or even wants a god. People are very happy without a god. People are quite fine, ethical, rational, and loving without god. Shy
you don't need God for all this. God never said that you can not be happy or kind, or rational without Him. You need God for another reason.

(08-12-2013 04:54 PM)kim Wrote:  Once again, I will hold you to this.[/size]
No problem

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Alla's post
08-12-2013, 05:12 PM
I think the Christians who argue that the bible should not be taken literally and/or that Jesus's teachings should stand alone are really just fooling themselves.

For one, there is this problem:

(08-12-2013 12:36 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  Why would an omniscient being, knowing the weaknesses of his creations mix truth and allegory together without giving any method of differentiating between the two?

And even taking into account the fact that people wrote the bible, as the op stated....

Quote:Are you insinuating that God wrote the Bible himself? I never said that, or thought that. It has a multitude of authors.

...it still doesn't make sense according to God's plan. Why would God leave important matters (such as eternal judgement) in the hands of interpretation? If God loved us and wanted us to live our lives a certain way, it seems that nothing would be able to get in the way of that. But it obviously happens as such.

It seems to me that the idea of not taking the bible literally came along to address the realization that modern day societies can't use the bible. It's essentially damage control.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
08-12-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2013 04:40 AM by Can_of_Beans.)
When you start dismissing the Old Testament, it doesn't take very long for the whole Christianity thing to unravel.

Take Genesis for example. If the book is mythology, then when did sin enter the world? At what point in our evolution did we stop being animals and start having an eternal soul that could either go to heaven or hell after death?

Seriously, without The Fall and Original Sin why do we need a savior?

Then, if real prophets didn't give real prophecies, what did Jesus supposedly fulfill to prove that he's the Son of God?

One of the purposes of OT laws are to show us how we don't and can't measure up to God. What does it mean to Christianity if the OT laws aren't God's laws? How do we know the standard that we fail to meet?

From what I can tell, the OT is the foundation upon which the NT is built. If you remove that foundation it all falls down.

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
08-12-2013, 05:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 05:28 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-12-2013 04:28 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 04:18 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  So you can know which person had the holy ghost and which person didn't, because you yourself have the influence of the holy ghost? Sounds credible. Rolleyes
Yes. And if you had influence of the Holy Ghost you would know, too.

ooo ooo ooo do me do me!

(08-12-2013 05:04 PM)Alla Wrote:  You need God for another reason.

The bullshit promise of a postmortem preservation of identity? Yeah, that shit ain't happening. Drinking Beverage

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
(08-12-2013 05:04 PM)Alla Wrote:  You need God for another reason.
What reason would that be? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
08-12-2013, 05:22 PM
(08-12-2013 01:48 PM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 01:21 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  Now I'm just an average hobbit atheist, but let me sum up what I feel from reading this thread

If that book is supposed to be "The Divine Word" inspired by papa god upstairs....then the book should be clear (aka no contradictions) and straightforward right?
I know it seems that way, but actually it is not. The bible is not meant to be able to be understood by anybody, but only by guidance of the Holy Spirit. There's a perfectly good reason for this. It is the only way to destroy the vanity that is the cause of corruption. It isn't meant to be personal.

Quote:You shouldn't have to 'figure out' what it means (This part here is a parable, this part isn't etc)
2.Matthew 13:13
Therefore speak I to them in parables: because they seeing see not; and hearing they hear not, neither do they understand
72.John 9:39
And Jesus said, For judgment I am come into this world, that they which see not might see; and that they which see might be made blind.

.....so trust the book without question even though it makes no sense....because the book says so? Yeah. No thanks. Lol. Yall have at that mess. I'll take it for the load it is.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-12-2013, 05:29 PM
(08-12-2013 05:04 PM)Alla Wrote:  The only true reason to help others is1) compassion, 2)love.
Clap

I agree - as long as one has compassion and love, empathy is there, too and ethics is often built right into the mixture. Shy

We like for the n00bs to make an introduction thread. Just a suggestion.... people like to use it to ask questions and get to know each other better. We are a global community so, there are lots of interesting people and discussions to be found here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
08-12-2013, 05:55 PM
(08-12-2013 03:13 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  A piece of literature meant to be read and analyzed, like any other book.
Not really. Those who are writings Scriptures are doing it having influence of the Holy Ghost. In order to understand correctly Scriptures someone has to have influence of the Holy Ghost.
This is the only way.
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  Well, the exact same thing is happening with the Bible. I don't think the majority, if any, of the Old Testament actually happened. I think it's all just a story.
Is this what Spirit told/taught you?

(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  But I firmly believe in what Jesus taught and I think that's what Christianity's real purpose is; to spread what he said. Call me a Red-Letter Christian if you will.
And what did He said that in your opinion that is so important?

(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  My point is: why does the Bible have to be taken literally? Why can't I think some things were meant to be literal and some things were just stories?
It depends. Some things has to be taken literally, some are metaphors. Ask me and I can share with you. Then ask God and by the power of the Holy Ghost you will know if it is true. When Spirit testifies you will know in your mind and in your heart that it is true.

Don't go delusional on me.
[+] 5 users Like Fat Mac's post
08-12-2013, 06:07 PM
(08-12-2013 05:16 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  When you start dismissing the Old Testament, it doesn't take very long for the whole Christianity thing to unravel.

Take Genesis for example. If the book is mythology, then when did sin enter the world? At what point in our evolution did we stop being animals and start having an eternal soul that could either go to heaven or hell after death?

Seriously, without The Fall and Original Sin why do we need a savior?

Then, if real prophets didn't give real prophecies, then what did Jesus supposedly fulfill to prove that he's the Son of God?

One of the purposes of OT laws are to show us how we don't and can't measure up to God. What does it mean to Christianity if the OT laws aren't God's laws? How do we know the standard that we fail to meet?

From what I can tell, the OT is the foundation upon which the NT is built. If you remove that foundation it all falls down.

Beautifully worded, dear. Big Grin

People also forget that silly things such as baptism and hell are in the new testament. There doesn't necessarily have to be something along the lines of the flood to render the new testament "better."

(Btw, I was specifically ignoring Revelations for the sake of that last sentence. It seems like it could start too many stupid arguments.)

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
08-12-2013, 06:19 PM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2013 06:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(08-12-2013 06:07 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  People also forget that silly things such as baptism and hell are in the new testament.

I just read the Red Letters. The rest is just bullshit commentary from the peanut gallery. The "Don't be a dick" part I think I grok.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.