The Bible - all or nothing?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-12-2013, 06:35 PM
RE: The Bible - all or nothing?
(08-12-2013 06:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I just read the Red Letters. The rest is just bullshit commentary from the peanut gallery. The "Don't be a dick" part I think I grok.

So you're cherry picking, which is what this entire discussion is about.....? How do you know the red words aren't commentary from the peanut gallery, and not what he actually said? You don't get it both ways.

If absolutely everything Jesus said is all that matters without the context, then you have to have an explanation why Jesus deserves special consideration and prophets from other religions don't. If generic loving-thy-neighbor and whatnot are the only thing that matters, why don't Christians listen when a Buddha says it? Or literally *anyone* else?

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cephalotus's post
08-12-2013, 06:37 PM
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  My point is: why does the Bible have to be taken literally? Why can't I think some things were meant to be literal and some things were just stories?

I doubt it is, by anyone. I mean, even way back, they took out some books that would have made Sunday School awesome.

Kickass baby Jesus.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-12-2013, 07:06 PM
(08-12-2013 11:49 AM)childeye Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 11:28 AM)Fat Mac Wrote:  I'm aware of the arguments against Christians "cherry picking" the Bible, only following the stuff they like, the argument that God is evil because of his Old Testament actions, taking the Bible literally, etc.

Now, I'm not quite sure where I stand religiously, but as of now I still like to identify as Christian, and I still enjoy the New Testament.

The problem with the arguments that I mentioned is that the Bible is just a book. Yeah, I get it, it's the "holy book," but in actuality, it's just a book. A piece of literature meant to be read and analyzed, like any other book. Now, let's say that you and your friend love analyzing literature. Symbolism, analogies, metaphors, you eat it all up! So you and your friend decide to read "Grapes of Wrath" together. After you both finish it, you meet up to discuss all the literary devices and overall symbolism. But you two have differing opinions on what certain things mean, things that stand for something else in the time period, things that are literal and shouldn't mean anything, etc. to the point where you both vehemently disagree with each other's entire interpretations of the novel.

Well, the exact same thing is happening with the Bible. I don't think the majority, if any, of the Old Testament actually happened. I think it's all just a story. But so many people argue that God is evil because of the fictional stories told in the Old Testament. I'm also told that I can't enjoy the New Testament and believe the lot of it and also deny the truth of the Old Testament. Why is this so? We just have differing interpretations of the novel, is all.

Now, do I think Jesus actually walked on water and turned it into wine (not at the same time.)? I don't know. But I firmly believe in what Jesus taught and I think that's what Christianity's real purpose is; to spread what he said. Call me a Red-Letter Christian if you will.

My point is: why does the Bible have to be taken literally? Why can't I think some things were meant to be literal and some things were just stories?
I don't know whether Jesus walked on water or not. It seems a useful metaphor to me about doing the impossible. I'm just being honest. But I do know that there is deep wisdom and meaning in the scriptures. Frankly speaking, mind blowing. I also know that no one can uncover it's secrets without a pure heart. Therefore it was designed to repel the proud. I've never seen any other writings do that. It is definitely remarkable that the Old Testament scriptures say they exist to foretell of the coming of the Christ and the New Testament and that this prophecy came to pass just as foretold.

Sometimes people say to me, do you think the bible is without error. I respond by saying that I don't even understand it all to be able to say. I think it is wrong to call it the Word of God since that can be misleading. People then use it to say this is what God wants be cause the bible says so. It happens on this forum all the time. The bible its self does not speak of the Word being anything but Spirit in the purest sense. I see the Word in countless movies, books, songs, paintings, etc...Therefore I would say the bible is a testimony to the Word and even according to it's own description, that is why the Word says." Go look in your precious scriptures in where you think you have eternal life, for they all testify to me."

If you don't believe all of the Wholly Babble, as Jesus says you should, then what is the problem? Doncha know hypocritical Christians only pretend to accept it literally but say they do so publicly because it's Christianly de rigueur to do so? The few who do accept it all as true are manifestly mentally disturbed.

It appears you think there may be a God up there like the vengeful, spiteful, sadistic little prick the Christians say they idolise and love, who desperately needs human love to boost his abysmal self-esteem. Consequently you are too frightened to ditch the obvious Hebrew bullshit entirely because it just might be all true and Big JewLie will get you on De Judgemen Day.

Ever thought of simply mentally acknowledging there may be a fair dinkum “all powerful” “God” up there who is that great he doesn't need anything we puny humans have? Especially our scabby-gutted grovelling and arse licking obeisance. The kind of God who is so beneficent he/she even accepts agnostics and atheists as more than worthy of one of his many mansions. If you do I'm sure a real God would surely pick up your thoughts and mark you down as “saved” - along with all the respectable, decent people (spit!) and the disreputable sinners.

The only problem with this kinda religion is you don't get to be a terrestrial God-in-waiting and to feel superior to and to imperiously lord it over the non-believers down here on Big JewLie's behalf. Nor do you get the unquestioning, utterly unmerited, simulated respect of mere mortals just because you are a “Christian.” Of course you could still accept this kinda God internally but still claim to be a Christian and thus retain all of the previously mentioned benefits. Wink
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post
08-12-2013, 07:10 PM
(08-12-2013 07:06 PM)The Misanthrope Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 11:49 AM)childeye Wrote:  I don't know whether Jesus walked on water or not. It seems a useful metaphor to me about doing the impossible. I'm just being honest. But I do know that there is deep wisdom and meaning in the scriptures. Frankly speaking, mind blowing. I also know that no one can uncover it's secrets without a pure heart. Therefore it was designed to repel the proud. I've never seen any other writings do that. It is definitely remarkable that the Old Testament scriptures say they exist to foretell of the coming of the Christ and the New Testament and that this prophecy came to pass just as foretold.

Sometimes people say to me, do you think the bible is without error. I respond by saying that I don't even understand it all to be able to say. I think it is wrong to call it the Word of God since that can be misleading. People then use it to say this is what God wants be cause the bible says so. It happens on this forum all the time. The bible its self does not speak of the Word being anything but Spirit in the purest sense. I see the Word in countless movies, books, songs, paintings, etc...Therefore I would say the bible is a testimony to the Word and even according to it's own description, that is why the Word says." Go look in your precious scriptures in where you think you have eternal life, for they all testify to me."

If you don't believe all of the Wholly Babble, as Jesus says you should, then what is the problem? Doncha know hypocritical Christians only pretend to accept it literally but say they do so publicly because it's Christianly de rigueur to do so? The few who do accept it all as true are manifestly mentally disturbed.

It appears you think there may be a God up there like the vengeful, spiteful, sadistic little prick the Christians say they idolise and love, who desperately needs human love to boost his abysmal self-esteem. Consequently you are too frightened to ditch the obvious Hebrew bullshit entirely because it just might be all true and Big JewLie will get you on De Judgemen Day.

Ever thought of simply mentally acknowledging there may be a fair dinkum “all powerful” “God” up there who is that great he doesn't need anything we puny humans have? Especially our scabby-gutted grovelling and arse licking obeisance. The kind of God who is so beneficent he/she even accepts agnostics and atheists as more than worthy of one of his many mansions. If you do I'm sure a real God would surely pick up your thoughts and mark you down as “saved” - along with all the respectable, decent people (spit!) and the disreputable sinners.

The only problem with this kinda religion is you don't get to be a terrestrial God-in-waiting and to feel superior to and to imperiously lord it over the non-believers down here on Big JewLie's behalf. Nor do you get the unquestioning, utterly unmerited, simulated respect of mere mortals just because you are a “Christian.” Of course you could still accept this kinda God internally but still claim to be a Christian and thus retain all of the previously mentioned benefits. Wink

Yes I like your post.

But someone should give you the memo....all Aussies are to be seen and not heard. Wink

J/K Carry on.
[+] 1 user Likes Hobbitgirl's post
08-12-2013, 07:18 PM
(08-12-2013 07:10 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  But someone should give you the memo....all Aussies are to be seen and not heard. Wink

Well then say bye to Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Miranda Otto, Barry Humphries, David Wenham, John Noble, Stephen Ure and Mark Ferguson. So pretty much The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as you know it. Tongue

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
08-12-2013, 07:21 PM
(08-12-2013 06:35 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 06:19 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I just read the Red Letters. The rest is just bullshit commentary from the peanut gallery. The "Don't be a dick" part I think I grok.

So you're cherry picking, which is what this entire discussion is about.....? How do you know the red words aren't commentary from the peanut gallery, and not what he actually said? You don't get it both ways.

Yeah. I been doing this a while now. ... Ain't that fuckin' hard. Tongue

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
08-12-2013, 07:21 PM
(08-12-2013 07:18 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 07:10 PM)Hobbitgirl Wrote:  But someone should give you the memo....all Aussies are to be seen and not heard. Wink

Well then say bye to Cate Blanchett, Hugo Weaving, Miranda Otto, Barry Humphries, David Wenham, John Noble, Stephen Ure and Mark Ferguson. So pretty much The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings as you know it. Tongue

We can dub. They did it with Mad Max. Tongue
08-12-2013, 08:39 PM
(08-12-2013 07:18 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  

You forgot Chips Rafferty and Errol Flynn! Angry
08-12-2013, 08:58 PM
(08-12-2013 12:45 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  As bad as some things are in the OT, there are still positive qualities about it.

It wasn't until I stopped believing and looked into it more that I realized that I dislike the NT more than the Old.

The OT shows a god who is often capricious and vengeful to a frightening degree, but at the end of the day, the worst he would do is kill you. It wasn't until the NT that the concept of a distinct heaven and hell were created, and thus, the idea of eternal damnation. As much as I'd hate to get killed, I'd like being tortured for infinity years even less.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-12-2013, 09:59 PM
(08-12-2013 08:58 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(08-12-2013 12:45 PM)Fat Mac Wrote:  As bad as some things are in the OT, there are still positive qualities about it.

It wasn't until I stopped believing and looked into it more that I realized that I dislike the NT more than the Old.

The OT shows a god who is often capricious and vengeful to a frightening degree, but at the end of the day, the worst he would do is kill you. It wasn't until the NT that the concept of a distinct heaven and hell were created, and thus, the idea of eternal damnation. As much as I'd hate to get killed, I'd like being tortured for infinity years even less.

I hate that smarmy mendacious little maggot, Jesus, who ingratiatingly appeared as all sweetness, light, gentleness, and forgiveness to his fuck-witted followers when he was down on earth, but turns from meek and mild Jesus Jekyll to a monstrous Mister Hyde when he meets them again as the hanging judge on The Judgement Day.

The poor stupid bastards who thought he was the pinnacle of forgiveness and let "bygones be bygones, forever" on earth, find they are sentenced to be hideously tortured for all eternity for stuff as trivial and unjust as coveting their neighbour's horny wife - when she cock-teasingly parades around topless and with nothing but a virtual band-aid covering her tantalisingly pouting, fur less Fun Palace.

"What a fiend we have in Jesus!"
[+] 1 user Likes The Misanthrope's post