The Bible and Science: The Ultimate Power Couple

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-02-2016, 08:10 AM
The Bible and Science: The Ultimate Power Couple
A physicist argues that the Bible supports science. Why? Because........ Bible. Although he claims to have found 10 "fundamental truths" supported by both the book and science, he offers only one example:

"Chief among the ten truths that comprise the astonishing concurrence between science and the Bible is this one: Truth – absolute, objective truth – exists. In today’s post-modern world, this is no trivial consensus. It is huge, placing science and the Bible squarely against pop relativism.

An illustration of science’s belief in absolute truth is simple: if you and I jump from a tall building, we will both fall at roughly the same rate – 32 feet per second per second. There’s not one gravitational truth for you and another for me. There is only one law governing the behavior of gravity throughout the universe, it being a cornerstone of 21st-century physics.

Likewise, according to the Bible, there is not one god for you and another for me. There is only one God in the universe, he being the one described in Scripture.

Whether you believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God or merely a collection of myths and fables is irrelevant to this discussion. The point is, when it comes to arguing for the existence of absolute truth, science and the Bible are not at odds. They are on the very same side."

Power Couple

Facepalm

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Thinkerbelle's post
14-02-2016, 08:17 AM
RE: The Bible and Science: The Ultimate Power Couple
Holy Babble supports whatever person saying this think it should support.

I don't see how Bible deserve to be put on such pedestal. It's just another book with bloodthirsty and primitive main character. There is nothing special in this boring, idiotic and contradictory fable.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
14-02-2016, 08:21 AM
(14-02-2016 08:10 AM)Thinkerbelle Wrote:  A physicist argues that the Bible supports science. Why? Because........ Bible. Although he claims to have found 10 "fundamental truths" supported by both the book and science, he offers only one example:

"Chief among the ten truths that comprise the astonishing concurrence between science and the Bible is this one: Truth – absolute, objective truth – exists. In today’s post-modern world, this is no trivial consensus. It is huge, placing science and the Bible squarely against pop relativism.

An illustration of science’s belief in absolute truth is simple: if you and I jump from a tall building, we will both fall at roughly the same rate – 32 feet per second per second. There’s not one gravitational truth for you and another for me. There is only one law governing the behavior of gravity throughout the universe, it being a cornerstone of 21st-century physics.

Likewise, according to the Bible, there is not one god for you and another for me. There is only one God in the universe, he being the one described in Scripture.

Whether you believe the Bible to be the inspired word of God or merely a collection of myths and fables is irrelevant to this discussion. The point is, when it comes to arguing for the existence of absolute truth, science and the Bible are not at odds. They are on the very same side."

Power Couple

Facepalm

How is it that you find that there is only one God? Even when that self same God is supposedly talking he admits that there is competition. "Have no other Gods before me." Does not sound like it is being said by one who thinks there He is the only God around.
14-02-2016, 08:22 AM
They are not my otp

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
14-02-2016, 08:35 AM
*sigh*

Red flags went up when I saw the word "objective truth" and they weren't assuaged by the rest of that.

While I agree with his premise that the laws of physics seem to apply to everyone in the same way, I don't know how he calls this "objective truth." What is truth? How is he using that definition? Because the idea that there is "one god for everyone" certainly doesn't fit that definition in the same way the laws of physics seem to.
14-02-2016, 09:58 AM
That is one weak-ass analogy. It certainly shouldn't be convincing anybody but those who already believe but need reinforcement of that book from a (wow!) scientist.
14-02-2016, 10:56 AM
It is revealing that religion always tries to validate itself with science but the reverse never happens. And the occasions religion still validates itself with religion are fast diminishing. Science long ago usurped religion's imprimatur.

I wish this point were more highlighted on the debate stages: that both sides are using science, not religion, to make their arguments. Science CAN validate itself; it's the only discipline that can.
[+] 2 users Like Airportkid's post
15-02-2016, 06:30 AM
It doesn't take long to find the massive mistakes he makes in his reasoning, these three gems are in this video, in his own words:

Beauty is more than skin deep.

Scientists believe in things they can't see.

Science teaches a single truth.

So I think he fancies himself as a Deepak Chopra type, more interested in selling books, promoting his website, etc. than actual science.

It's pretty much the career path that so-called scientists take when they become a laughing stock in their field.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 6 users Like TheInquisition's post