The Bible is TRULY God's Word!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 03:23 PM
The Bible is TRULY God's Word!!
How do I respond to people who make the following claim:

"Even though it [The Bible] is really sixty-six individual books, written on three continents, in three different languages, over a period of approximately 1500 years, by more than 40 authors who came from many walks of life, the Bible remains one unified book from beginning to end..."

I am SO SICK of hearing this whenever a Bible believer is asked how they know the Bible is God's word!! How do you all respond?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 03:31 PM
RE: The Bible is TRULY God's Word!!
Like this

[Image: 708-too-much-bullshit-its-time-to-go.png]

Or I begin talking about how great the show "My Secret Identity" was.

[Image: logo.jpg]

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Unless you're like me (slightly cuckoo), don't bother getting into those conversations or just respond with "Sorry, I believe differently than you. Dude, have you played Skyrim?"

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 5 users Like kingschosen's post
04-01-2012, 03:39 PM
And then the conversation changes completely because I started off as a nord warrior specializing in sneak, two-handed weapons and smithing but I recently made an argonian mage that is pretty sweet too.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
04-01-2012, 03:44 PM
Literalists are a big target. Just let them talk about their bible and they will invariably say something stupid to get you started. The possibilities are limitless. Bible origins, contradictions, stupid laws, the flood, things that never happened, the creation story, the language of choice, the faulty replication, imperfect translations, the faulty process of book selection, lack of independent accounts, other equally miraculous and older "holy" books, the fact that their god has more flaws than you do etc etc etc.

Claiming that the bible is an unitary document will be the least of their problems. If you make any progress at all with the rest of your arguments, they will let this one go really fast and they will start claiming that the Old Testament is not that important, it no longer applies for modern people and a lot of it is really metaphoric.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 1 user Likes Malleus's post
04-01-2012, 04:23 PM
Yeah, I know that those kind of "debates" are annoying, but if you know how to play your cards right, you can corner literalists in their own game, of course if you are willing to enter to a debate with them. I would suggest that you check out Skeptic's Annotated Bibble In case you are not familiar with the bible, In my case I'm well versed in biblical knowledge because I was a christian for 8+ years before becoming an atheist.

But anyway, I prefer debating with a "philosopher" over a literalist any day, literalists can be VERY boring because of the insane amount of circular logic they use.

My position on biblical debates with literalists is:
[Image: yao-ming-meme.jpg]

I like to debate about facts and things that can be proved anyway. Or do like kingschosen does, change the topic with a non-sequitur unless you want to start a pointless "debate" that eventually will become a battle between your boredom and their wish to convert you.

"The tendency to turn human judgments into divine commands makes religion one of the most dangerous forces in the world.”
-Georgia Harkness.

"La fe es patrimonio de los pendejos. (Faith is patrimony of the dumbfucks)."
-Diego Rivera
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes MasterRottweiler's post
04-01-2012, 04:59 PM
Quote:I am SO SICK of hearing this whenever a Bible believer is asked how they know the Bible is God's word!! How do you all respond?

You don't respond. Not worth your time. They have no evidence, they just believe.
And wait for the really "good" arguments they bring :
"How can you have the bible without god"
"The bible is the oldest book written"
"The bible is the word , the world began with it"
...etc
My advice , grab a beer and stare at the sky - it makes no sense , but it's more productive Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes gaglamesh731's post
04-01-2012, 05:07 PM
Honestly, I respond, "Then he's a moron."
04-01-2012, 05:13 PM
I disagree. Many of us lived a long deluded religious life before we embraced reason.

You may never debate religion out of a person, but you may just plant enough seeds and let their mind do the rest. Most people don't even realize that their views can possibly be challenged. Finding out that there are different views out there is the first step. I know people who gave up religion while trying to prove their atheist friends wrong. They started doing homework and realized that their position is shit.

Getting people to start thinking is a good purpose to stay there and debate as long as they are willing to take even if you never get the satisfaction of an obvious success. It's useful to you too. You get to see your own flaws and weaknesses.

Oh, no Hallucinations 4:11 says the 'gilded sheep should be stewed in rat blood' but Morons 5:16 contradicts it. (Chas)

I would never shake a baby unless the recipe requires it.
[+] 2 users Like Malleus's post
04-01-2012, 05:21 PM
(04-01-2012 04:59 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  My advice , grab a beer and stare at the sky - it makes no sense , but it's more productive Big Grin

mmm...
[Image: HOMER-beer.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel