The Bible is TRULY God's Word!!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 08:35 PM
RE: The Bible is TRULY God's Word!!
Yea, I agree with Malleus. I do want to engage someone in conversation. I like to start with reason to help them see their error and to find my flaws that I still need to work through. But, it is pretty easy to tell when the conversation departs from reason. It seems that whenever I try to have a logical discussion with some religious people, they end up telling me that the Holy Spirit is going to have to reveal the truth to me and that they will pray for me. That pretty much ends the conversation because it's no longer about reason and logic. You can't really argue with the Holy Spirit's "revelation". Or, sometimes they will say faith is a gift and I need that gift from God. At any rate, I would still like to know the answer to my original post if there are any ideas out there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 01:32 PM

(04-01-2012 08:35 PM)Chris Wrote:  Yea, I agree with Malleus. I do want to engage someone in conversation. I like to start with reason to help them see their error and to find my flaws that I still need to work through. But, it is pretty easy to tell when the conversation departs from reason. It seems that whenever I try to have a logical discussion with some religious people, they end up telling me that the Holy Spirit is going to have to reveal the truth to me and that they will pray for me. That pretty much ends the conversation because it's no longer about reason and logic. You can't really argue with the Holy Spirit's "revelation". Or, sometimes they will say faith is a gift and I need that gift from God. At any rate, I would still like to know the answer to my original post if there are any ideas out there.

Holy Spirit "Revelation" .....yeah thats something like a Document thats been Redacted by the CIA.

When a Christian reads Genesis, they see about 10 good words and the rest is all blacked out....cuz the HS is revealing himself to them.

I am taking a new approach in 2012. I am challenging ANYONE that wants to debate the good book and its roadmap to a moral life to read the book of genesis with me and STOP me when they start seeing MORAL behavior.

Then maybe touch on a few of JC's greatest hits like Hating Mom & Dad n stuff.

If they are gonna lift the bible to some moral high ground, i want them to show me the morality that bleeds from its pages (supposedly). When they go 'apologetic' on me, thats when i look them in the eye and simply state that you are lying to yourself and others. When you cant agree on what 'words mean' then i am truly arguing with an idiot...and i tell them as much (as nice as i can).

D
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 01:45 PM
Well I ask them if they know how the Bible was put together? If they say no, then I tell them several facts.

How the Order of Nicea to establish what was cannon the bible not by God but by what was fitting to the power of the Churches.

That numerous translations have lead to massive changes over time in interpretation and understanding of some of the basic concepts.

Or how Moses's is supposedly the author of the Torah despite parts of it including his funeral and events after his death.

Or how there is considered two written accounts of genesis because they were at separate times one is noted as Yahweh and the other EL because how they refereed to God.

If they don't care and say it's all inspired by God so details like translation errors somehow are all God's will... then I'll just tell them you believe what you want but without evidence convincing others is folly.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2012, 01:52 PM

(05-01-2012 01:45 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  Well I ask them if they know how the Bible was put together? If they say no, then I tell them several facts.

How the Order of Nicea to establish what was cannon the bible not by God but by what was fitting to the power of the Churches.

That numerous translations have lead to massive changes over time in interpretation and understanding of some of the basic concepts.

Or how Moses's is supposedly the author of the Torah despite parts of it including his funeral and events after his death.

Or how there is considered two written accounts of genesis because they were at separate times one is noted as Yahweh and the other EL because how they refereed to God.

If they don't care and say it's all inspired by God so details like translation errors somehow are all God's will... then I'll just tell them you believe what you want but without evidence convincing others is folly.

I like your approach, but here in the bible belt the OT is old news and rarely considered. SO when its brought up, stuff about Moses and others...they quickly jump to the NT and start yammering on about how gods ultimate sacrifice (suicide) is the most beautiful thing....blah blah blah....typical cult jargon.
For the most part Christians have a 'personal experience' and then spend their research in the areas of the bible that the Sunday school agenda tells them to. They dare not venture into other dangerous terrirory..not without an apologist!
I know as i have been there...done that. Funny, i keep having those 'personal experiences' just like the day i was saved...but they are at really good movies and concerts.

D
Quote this message in a reply