The Bible is a metaphor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 08:47 AM
RE: The Bible is a metaphor?
(03-08-2012 08:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  "Religious authorities have been exploiting the illiteracy of people to twist around the actual contents of the scripture all throughout history."

You are conflating reading with interpreting.Drinking Beverage
Everything you read out loud is based on interpretation, especially a book as vague as the Bible. When Christians nowadays are cherry-picking this much, imagine how much they did it back then. Furthermore, you can willfully misread parts of the Bible to support your own agenda. To give you an example:

Actual passage:
"And I say to you, love thy neighbour as you do yourself."

The passage that is read out loud:
"And I say to you, despise the non-believers for they do not believe in the Lord"
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2012, 08:48 AM
(03-08-2012 08:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:43 AM)Chas Wrote:  You are conflating reading with interpreting.Drinking Beverage
Everything you read out loud is based on interpretation, especially a book as vague as the Bible. When Christians nowadays are cherry-picking this much, imagine how much they did it back then. Furthermore you can willfully misread parts of the Bible to support your own agenda. To give you an example:

Actual passage:

"And I say to you, despise the non-believers for they do not believe in the Lord"

You prove my point.
You are talking about interpretation, not reading out loud.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-08-2012, 08:49 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 08:53 AM by Vosur.)
(03-08-2012 08:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:47 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Everything you read out loud is based on interpretation, especially a book as vague as the Bible. When Christians nowadays are cherry-picking this much, imagine how much they did it back then. Furthermore you can willfully misread parts of the Bible to support your own agenda. To give you an example:

Actual passage:

What? If I read something to you, how is that interpretation?
We're still not talking about people nowadays, we're talking about illiterate people hundreds/thousands of years ago. Also, why are you cherry-picking which arguments you respond to that much?
03-08-2012, 08:52 AM
(03-08-2012 08:49 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  What? If I read something to you, how is that interpretation?
We're still not talking about people nowadays, we're talking about illiterate people hundreds/thousands of years ago. Also, why are you cherry-picking which arguments you respond to that much?

I'm not cherry-picking anything. You are saying 'reading out loud' and meaning something entirely different.

There is no difference between the words being read aloud to you or reading them yourself. You are talking about someone interpreting, not reading.

03-08-2012, 08:55 AM
(03-08-2012 08:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not cherry-picking anything. You are saying 'reading out loud' and meaning something entirely different.

There is no difference between the words being read aloud to you or reading them yourself. You are talking about someone interpreting, not reading.
Didn't I already mention that what is being read out loud is based upon the reader? You still fail to show how an illiterate reader is able to tell the difference between a metaphor and a literal part if his judgement is based on a possibly biased/false/altered version of the actual text.
03-08-2012, 08:59 AM
(03-08-2012 08:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:52 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'm not cherry-picking anything. You are saying 'reading out loud' and meaning something entirely different.

Didn't I already mention that what is being read out loud is based upon the reader? You still fail to show how an illiterate reader is able to tell the difference between a metaphor and a literal part if his judgement is based on a possibly biased/false/altered version of the actual text.

What is an illiterate reader?

03-08-2012, 09:00 AM
(03-08-2012 08:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:55 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Didn't I already mention that what is being read out loud is based upon the reader? You still fail to show how an illiterate reader is able to tell the difference between a metaphor and a literal part if his judgement is based on a possibly biased/false/altered version of the actual text.
What is an illiterate reader?
Why the nit-picking? You know exactly what I meant: an illiterate listener
03-08-2012, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 09:13 AM by fstratzero.)
Anyways.....

The magic of the bible is that a metaphorical interpretation of verses, stories, or the nature of god can be used to justify anything.

How to argue against that, you could use examples like the Tao Ching or other texts that are used to justify everything, and make predictions.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
03-08-2012, 09:09 AM
(03-08-2012 09:00 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 08:59 AM)Chas Wrote:  What is an illiterate reader?
Why the nit-picking? You know exactly what I meant: an illiterate listener

The point is that I did not understand because you were not clear.

In fact, I don't think you mean 'illiterate listener'. You mean something else.

03-08-2012, 09:11 AM
(03-08-2012 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 09:00 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Why the nit-picking? You know exactly what I meant: an illiterate listener
The point is that I did not understand because you were not clear.
Now you know what I meant.