The Bible is a metaphor?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-08-2012, 09:14 AM
RE: The Bible is a metaphor?
(03-08-2012 09:11 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 09:09 AM)Chas Wrote:  The point is that I did not understand because you were not clear.
Now you know what I meant.

Actually, no, I don't. I think you don't know what illiterate means. It means unable to read.
What I think you mean is an unsophisticated or ignorant listener. But if you do, then say so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2012, 09:19 AM
(03-08-2012 09:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 09:11 AM)Vosur Wrote:  Now you know what I meant.

Actually, no, I don't. I think you don't know what illiterate means. It means unable to read.
What I think you mean is an unsophisticated or ignorant listener. But if you do, then say so.
Thanks, but I'm familiar with the definition of "illiterate". You can't make a profound judgement about a book if you can't read it's content and therefore have to rely on others to read it to you thruthfully, which means without any bias, interpretation, or misirepresentations. This has not been garantueed in the history of religion. Religious authorities have been twisting the facts around to support their agenda.

An illiterate listener, someone who has to rely on someone reading the contents of a book to him because he can't do it himself, someone like that cannot judge whether or not a passage in the Bible is a metaphor if he doesn't know the actual passage.
Find all posts by this user
03-08-2012, 01:32 PM
(03-08-2012 09:19 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 09:14 AM)Chas Wrote:  Actually, no, I don't. I think you don't know what illiterate means. It means unable to read.
Thanks, but I'm familiar with the definition of "illiterate". You can't make a profound judgement about a book if you can't read it's content and therefore have to rely on others to read it to you thruthfully, which means without any bias, interpretation, or misirepresentations. This has not been garantueed in the history of religion. Religious authorities have been twisting the facts around to support their agenda.

An illiterate listener, someone who has to rely on someone reading the contents of a book to him because he can't do it himself, someone like that cannot judge whether or not a passage in the Bible is a metaphor if he doesn't know the actual passage.

Your conclusion does not follow. You are assuming facts not in evidence.

03-08-2012, 01:35 PM (This post was last modified: 03-08-2012 01:38 PM by Vosur.)
(03-08-2012 01:32 PM)Chas Wrote:  Your conclusion does not follow. You are assuming facts not in evidence.
Care to elaborate?

[+] 3 users Like Vosur's post
03-08-2012, 02:05 PM
Here is what you said:
(03-08-2012 01:35 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Isn't it weird that they claim that the stories are metaphors, when 2000 years ago, the vast majority of the population was illiterate? Why would they have extensive knowledge about figures of speech when they are unable to read?

That is what I disagree with.

Being able or unable to read doesn't have any effect on whether or not one understands metaphor in general, or whether one understands something in particular to be metaphorical.

People who cannot read and write can still have a deep understanding of metaphor.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-08-2012, 02:10 PM
(03-08-2012 02:05 PM)Chas Wrote:  Here is what you said:
(03-08-2012 01:35 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Isn't it weird that they claim that the stories are metaphors, when 2000 years ago, the vast majority of the population was illiterate? Why would they have extensive knowledge about figures of speech when they are unable to read?

That is what I disagree with.

Being able or unable to read doesn't have any effect on whether or not one understands metaphor in general, or whether one understands something in particular to be metaphorical.

People who cannot read and write can still have a deep understanding of metaphor.
The fuck? I agreed to this in my very first reply to you. Don't tell me we've been wasting our time arguing over semantics the entire time. Angry
03-08-2012, 02:17 PM
The fuck? seems to be the new phrase around here. All the cool kids are sayin' it.

The fuck?
03-08-2012, 02:24 PM
(03-08-2012 02:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Of course not, but that doesn't adress the problem at all. How would they be able to tell the difference between a metaphor and a literal part without being able to read the scripture?

Not at all. I disagreed with your answer quoted above.

If the reading is accurate, it doesn't matter that they are illiterate. But you continued to assume that the reading wasn't going to be accurate.

03-08-2012, 02:26 PM
(03-08-2012 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 02:10 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Of course not, but that doesn't adress the problem at all. How would they be able to tell the difference between a metaphor and a literal part without being able to read the scripture?

Not at all. I disagreed with your answer quoted above.

If the reading is accurate, it doesn't matter that they are illiterate. But you continued to assume that the reading wasn't going to be accurate.

The fact though, Chas is the Bible Is SOOOOOOOO vague that bias is inevitable.

When the preacher would read about Jesus's parables, he would need to explain in further details what is being said, in which case, he would interpret shit based on his own beliefs.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
03-08-2012, 02:35 PM
(03-08-2012 02:26 PM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(03-08-2012 02:24 PM)Chas Wrote:  Not at all. I disagreed with your answer quoted above.

The fact though, Chas is the Bible Is SOOOOOOOO vague that bias is inevitable.

When the preacher would read about Jesus's parables, he would need to explain in further details what is being said, in which case, he would interpret shit based on his own beliefs.

And he can and will do that regardless of whether the sheep can read.

If the preacher reads the parable accurately or the sheep read it themselves, the following interpretation has the same effect.