The Bible - not 100% literal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 07:09 PM
RE: The Bible - not 100% literal
(04-01-2012 06:43 PM)mysticjbyrd Wrote:  If I wanted to read a fantasy book, then I would prefer Star Wars to be honest. And by read the book, I mean pop in the DVD....who in the heck has the time to read a book anymore?

Temporary derail.... necessary.... EVERYONE SHOULD MAKE THE TIME TO READ.

Books are great and make for excellent brain exorcize. Your mind will thank you. Studies have actually shown that Alzheimer's can be combated by simply exorcizing your brain. Plus your imagination will become reborn.

Watch the DVD... for shame.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like lucradis's post
04-01-2012, 07:37 PM

That's the Holy Fuckin Bible son!

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
[+] 3 users Like Seasbury's post
04-01-2012, 07:48 PM
(04-01-2012 02:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Okay. Explain my conversion from agnosticism. Explain why I completely changed my belief system instantly by no choice of my own.

Oh yes, how could anyone ever explain that?

How about "Your brain started messing with you"? After all, our brains tend to fuck up quite frequently. Isn't it rather arrogant of you to think yours can't? You are asking him to provide an explanation, but without all the facts it's not possible to arrive at a single one. However, you still did.

Really, you are an illustration of what bugs me most about religious people; the lack of imagination and curiosity. You invariably arrive at the conclusion that there is a god, regardless of there being other explanations. So, you had what could have been a serious psychotic episode, and you dismissed that explanation even though it's a fair bet you lacked the knowledge required to rationally do so.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Elcarch's post
04-01-2012, 09:03 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 09:08 PM by GirlyMan.)
(04-01-2012 07:48 PM)Elcarch Wrote:  
(04-01-2012 02:57 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Okay. Explain my conversion from agnosticism. Explain why I completely changed my belief system instantly by no choice of my own.

How about "Your brain started messing with you"? ...

Yup. Brain fart. ... I get 'em all the time, but they usually pass quickly enough. ... KingsChosen might be brain-constipated, there are laxatives for that.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
04-01-2012, 09:39 PM
(04-01-2012 07:48 PM)Elcarch Wrote:  

How about "Your brain started messing with you"? After all, our brains tend to fuck up quite frequently. Isn't it rather arrogant of you to think yours can't? You are asking him to provide an explanation, but without all the facts it's not possible to arrive at a single one. However, you still did.

Really, you are an illustration of what bugs me most about religious people; the lack of imagination and curiosity. You invariably arrive at the conclusion that there is a god, regardless of there being other explanations. So, you had what could have been a serious psychotic episode, and you dismissed that explanation even though it's a fair bet you lacked the knowledge required to rationally do so.

It was a tongue-in-cheek statement based on the collective assertion that people "know" what I think.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
05-01-2012, 12:08 AM
See these Christians on these other forums; come back here where there's KC?

I can understand KC. I had a personal experience with god. And you would not believe the shit your mind can pull on you; tell you whut! And KC's got people, that makes a big difference.

And the Bible; it's not supposed to be anything other than a vector. Of course, people ain't even supposed to have the words of the prophets; and now it's idolatry. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
05-01-2012, 09:30 AM
KC, what aif Houseofcantor had a personal experience with Gwyinnie?
would that justify if he claimed that gwynie had contacted his soul?
or would that just be a testament to the strength of his magic weed?

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 1 user Likes Jackrabbit's post
05-01-2012, 01:47 PM

(31-12-2011 03:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  ****This is an explanation as to why I, a Christian, do not believe in a 100% literal Bible****

The Bible is not meant to be read 100% literally. Yep, I said it. There are many factors that have to be considered when reading and interpreting the Bible: context, audience, translation, history, symbolism, metaphors, numerology, poetic language, story language.

But, you have to either believe literally or not. You can't pick and choose.

Not so fast there, scooter. First, we need to talk about the concept of "inspired".

But, if the Bible is inspired by God then it should not have any fallacies.

Dang it, son, sit down!

With it being inspired it is also inerrant.

But, that means the Bible is errant then because there is inspired text that contradicts known science.

Listen here, not gonna tell you again... be quiet.

Let me explain:

1) Inspired - words from God via text conveyed as lessons, commandments, stories, literal history, or visions
2) Inerrant - the inspired text is without error in regards to the context of the inspired text

So, what does this mean? Well, it means that there are certain parts in the Bible that aren't conveyed as literal, tangible facts. God teaches us with inspired text; which means the types of teachings He uses varies.

Bullsh...

*BAM*

What? Oh, he'll be fine. It's just a flesh wound.

But, it's true. God uses different means of teaching. Did Jesus teach 100% literally? No, he taught in parables and metaphors, right? Why? Because it was a way to convey His message to His audience so that they could easily understand what He was saying. Was His teaching errant? Or not inspired? No, of course not, according to Christians. So then, if Jesus, who is God, teaches this way, then why is it so hard to accept that YHWH, who is God, taught any differently?

Uhhhhhhhhghhhhghhh.......

*BAMBAMBAM*

Okay, yeah, he's dead.

Look at the Genesis creation story, though. What is this? Without going into too much detail (this is a whole new topic), the creation story was cosmology; something that was easily understood at the time. This story was inspired. It was conveyed in a way the people of the time could understand. It was so that they could understand God's plan and God's covenant with humanity and how God set the universe in motion.

Does this make it inerrant or not inspired? No! It's a story; a parable of such that holds no scientific value because it is not science.

Look at Revelation. Is this to be taken literally? No. This is prophetic language, symbolism, and numerology. In the same vein as parables and stories, these cannot be taken literally because they aren't suppose to be taken literally; just like Jesus' parables weren't considered literal facts. They are there to teach; to help us understand.

This does not affect the divine inspiration or infallibility of the Bible. It just puts it into perspective.

This all sounds modern new agy and kewl, but it presupposes that the words and parables jesus spoke were spoken by jesus.

KC might want to give 'The Jesus Siminars' a lookie. Some of the brightest minds and uber bible geeks have spent years on this very subject. There are many others outside of TJS that have written extensivly on authorship of the gosples and NT, but TJS is a great start.

I think dr. robert price stated once that they actually only attribute 10% of the words in red to the man himself.

The 1st mistake is assuming Jesus even said those words and parables.

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
05-01-2012, 01:54 PM (This post was last modified: 05-01-2012 01:59 PM by scientician.)
(05-01-2012 01:47 PM)Denicio Wrote:  This all sounds modern new agy and kewl, but it presupposes that the words and parables jesus spoke were spoken by jesus.

KC might want to give 'The Jesus Siminars' a lookie. Some of the brightest minds and uber bible geeks have spent years on this very subject. There are many others outside of TJS that have written extensivly on authorship of the gosples and NT, but TJS is a great start.

I think dr. robert price stated once that they actually only attribute 10% of the words in red to the man himself.

The 1st mistake is assuming Jesus even said those words and parables.

D

Or assuming Jesus even existed! I'm really a fan of the Jesus myth theory although it makes believers rage.

[Image: funny-date-girl-guy-true-story-meme.jpg]
05-01-2012, 02:10 PM
I don't think it much matters if the bible was "meant," by every single author, to be 100% figurative.

What those figure lessons teach are not good--in fact, many of them are absolute evil.

Even if every word was meant to be some kind of lesson, it still is supposed to teach some pretty nasty crap like Ultimate Obedience to Authority, Fear of that Authority, hatred of sex and nature, and out-and-out racism. You can't "it's not literal" that away.
[+] 1 user Likes Hellbound Alleee's post