The Bible - not 100% literal

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2012, 03:17 PM
RE: The Bible - not 100% literal
(03-01-2012 04:47 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 10:53 AM)morondog Wrote:  If he wrote it that way 'cos people back then couldn't understand science, why didn't he just teach people science? 'Cos chapter 1 of any science textbook is a whole lot more useful than chapter 1 of Genesis. And with millions of years of evolution, I rate my ancestors were at least as intelligent as me - given the basic principles they would have understood no prob. Not gonna fly as an argument, sorry Tongue

Intelligence and knowledge aren't the same thing - as intelligence is relative. As knowledge is increased the standard of intelligence changes. Because there was no science as we know it at that time, God needed to convey His message in a way that the people of the time could understand. Again, the point of it wasn't to be scientifically correct. It was so that God could convey His message to people in a way that they understood.

You're not getting me. I am 27 years of age. I've done a bit of maths and sciency shit along the way, can calculate a planetary orbit if pushed. God had 1500 odd years to write Genesis chapter 1 and didn't see fit to say "Hey check it out, you silly jokers think the Sun goes round the Earth 'cos that's what it looks like but really Earth goes round the Sun (for a given value of "goes round"). " Instead there's this steaming pile of horseshit about making things in 7 days and making the lights in the sky. God had *plenty* of time to set up a lil' schoolroom - it would take only *one* generation - say 27 years, coincidentally my age allow me to point out - to teach a few good guys to understand science to a basic level and write a helluva more accurate handbook that would be way more convincing of whatever random message I'm supposed to get.

Quote:Another example:

You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you don't have the knowledge of the Russian language there is no way to effectively and efficiently communicate with a Russian speaking audience.

So another translation of my post above: God coulda taught these guys Russian in no time flat.

Your statement is that Genesis is written like some idiot's dream because that's all the poor sods from the time would have understood.

My statement is that I think I've excreted some rather smelly doubt all over your statement Smile
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-01-2012, 03:23 PM

(05-01-2012 02:10 PM)Hellbound Alleee Wrote:  I don't think it much matters if the bible was "meant," by every single author, to be 100% figurative.

What those figure lessons teach are not good--in fact, many of them are absolute evil.

Even if every word was meant to be some kind of lesson, it still is supposed to teach some pretty nasty crap like Ultimate Obedience to Authority, Fear of that Authority, hatred of sex and nature, and out-and-out racism. You can't "it's not literal" that away.

I LOVE the moral lesson we are taught in Genesis about Abraham and his Wife.

So now when i go into foreign cities i lie to people and introduce my wife as my sister so I wont get killed (plus she gets a bit of 'strange' nookie), plus i might get a bunch of free stuff too when they find out she is my wife and kick me out of town. Its a win win for me!

The moral lesson if it were real or a parable is still the same.....which is "If asked, deny marriage and call her sis".

Just ROCK SOLID morals man....as good as it gets! Great stuff! We should enshrine such moral code in every city building and have every kid repeat this at the beginning of each school day. THAT will build a great nation!

D
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Denicio's post
05-01-2012, 03:43 PM
(05-01-2012 03:23 PM)Denicio Wrote:  Just ROCK SOLID morals man....as good as it gets! Great stuff! We should enshrine such moral code in every city building and have every kid repeat this at the beginning of each school day. THAT will build a great nation!

ROFL Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
05-01-2012, 04:53 PM
I got the entitlement of Lucifer outta that dang book. You guys are just doing it wrong. And then there's Christians, who have the patent on doing shit wrong. The Bible is merely a tool; a lens. The permanence of the word links a Living God to a Living I. The whole moral code reduces to Fear God and keep his commandments. Start at the beginning; thou shalt have no god before me. But before things get confusing, let's modernize the terminology with an equivalence. God = Love. Combine like terms and solve:

I/love fear/love

See why I keep YHWH around? Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user