• 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-01-2012, 01:15 PM

RE: The Bible - not 100% literal
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Denicio's post
04-01-2012, 02:00 PM
KC
God is a mafia boss, and breaks your leg unless you pay the protection money, unless you follow jesus and the dogma.
if that god exists which i hardly think he does, thats not a god id worship that is the definition of a dictator. an immoral dictator
that is unjust and unfit to judge and claims to be moral and he has a lot to answer to. and that slave mentally that goes 'god owns us hes free to do with us as he wills including infinite torture' makes me sick, i might create a child with a woman but that doesnt give me free right or moral justification to put him on a torturing rack and put cigarettes out in his eye balls just because i made him.
ur only a christian out of fear from an invisible abusive, incompetent, sky daddy that picks favourites.
You are worsihping sadomasochistic pervert, a blood thirsty, irrational and unjust bully and what disturbs me is that you know that and agree to it and justify it.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2012, 02:29 PM
(03-01-2012 01:19 PM)Denicio Wrote:  This is the next EVOLUTION in Christianity. Its gotten away from what god said, cuz its terribly immoral and cruel, and turned into some "Hare' Krishna feel goodery around the campfire" cult , at best. I have a buddy doing this same dance. I was touched by Jesus.....and i cant explain it..but the book...well i just don't read it. Well, i was touched by Roger Waters in Houston when he performed the WALL and i wept and was changed. So what does that make me?

Whoa, hold up now. I'm not doing that dance at all. It's not just you, D, but it's plenty of people here condemning "my" beliefs that aren't even mine. I have not done any gymnastics. My theology is consistent. No one yet has made an actual assertion about my theology that doesn't line up.

I do read the Bible. If I come across something that doesn't line up with my theology, I research it. As I stated earlier, this has led me to change my theology drastically.

Quote:The new chrisitans are quick to bark out about morals and what is right, but have NOTHING to base it on..other than their OWN evolved sense of what is right and wrong...and blame 'JC & The Sunshine band' for morals.

I'm assuming you're talking about others here.

Quote:I've been reading the bible again recently looking for moral code. I found genesis to be a huge eye opener for me (now that i am reading with my veil lifted from years of indoctrination). Morals and Ethics seem astonishingly absent from the very beginning. HUNDREDS of years go by before any real substance of morals even appear.

I base God's moral code on God, who is sovereign. Our moral code is given to us by Jesus.

Quote:If JC makes you safe and feel secure for what ever emptiness life has dealt you, than that rocks. Even better, if it keeps people from drinking and driving (as many of my Xtian pals have done) then great. If you require some 'feeling' to keep your ass in line, so be it.......but not all of us were short changed on the 'personal responsibility' end of the food chain. I am SO looking forward to spring and all the knocks on the doors it brings...as i feel i am gonna start showing folks EXACTLY whats in the good book....

Not really sure of the relevance here, but okay.

Quote:which, i am sure, will turn them into what KC has become...a Christian that buys 50% of the supposed Christian story.

And here we go again... so, tell me, since you seem to know me better than me. What do I believe? Because, apparently, I haven't made myself crystal clear in all the other topics.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-01-2012, 02:41 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 02:59 PM by scientician.)
(04-01-2012 02:29 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Whoa, hold up now. I'm not doing that dance at all. It's not just you, D, but it's plenty of people here condemning "my" beliefs that aren't even mine. I have not done any gymnastics. My theology is consistent. No one yet has made an actual assertion about my theology that doesn't line up.

You said that the Bible is the inspired word of God and was in a form that the people could understand at the time, right? Why, oh why is God silent now? How come we don't have a new Bible? Why do you have to understand everything in the context of this and translation that? We shouldn't have to think like the people of that time because we are in this time. Like Seth has said many times if God were out there, don't you think he'd leave us with something better than a confusing Bronze age book and his son's face on toast? Why do you even need to spend hours explaining how you can rationally decide which parts are literal and which aren't?
04-01-2012, 02:57 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 03:07 PM by kingschosen.)
(03-01-2012 01:47 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  Thing abour religion is that it keeps retreating.
Fun fact: the Adam and Eve stroy was plagerised from the polytheistic babylonian Creation story also adam and eve when the isrealites were conquered by the babelonians.

Addressed this earlier with Mr. Woof.

Quote:Religion is what is wrong with the world KC, its inconsistent, apoligists keep dancing and its whole purpose is to erect divisive barriers between societies. God is like the local mob boss who causes a ruckus and makes you pay protection money. "thats a pretty nice soul you have there, wouldnt want anything bad to happen to it, tell you what you believe that my son is the lord and saviour and follow his rules and were okay, okay buddy boy?"

You are more than entitled to that opinion, and that's fine. That's now how I view God, though.

Quote:SO WHAT if you dont believe in god? you burn in hell for eternity, why? because u didnt accept JC, does that make me a bad person? uhmmm...
The bible and the quraan are self contradictory, inconsistent, immoral, full of fairytales and myth.

Calvinist... etc...

Quote:Faith, belief without evidence A.K.A guillibility, God reveals himself to those who believe, so do aliens, bigfoot, nessie, gwynnie, mohamed, zeus, krishna, boogie man, santa, and the list goes on and on my friend. It's the brains reaction when you adopt a belief you attribute everything to it, from the scary sounds you hear in your bedroom at night to miracles, visions, revelations, alien abduction dreams, Near death experiences etc.

Okay. Explain my conversion from agnosticism. Explain why I completely changed my belief system instantly by no choice of my own.

Quote:Many muslims both reliatives and random people on tv say that mohammed has revealed himself to them as the one true prophet in dreams and meditation or eppiphanies, It is delusion by definition, like a mirage in the desert (i see my share of them here in egypt) u are convinced its water but its just sand playing light tricks, its not water, nor sand demons nor Djins. Sometimes reality is just reality and you have to move on.
sometimes sand is just sand.

My reality says differently.
(03-01-2012 04:41 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  assuming witches are real and not as made up as god himself.
and what happened to thou shalt not kill, and should anybody be put to death/burned at the stake for an unprovable crime?
how can you prove someones a witch?
and.. you personally KC, would you kill a witch?

Jewish laws to prevent corruption of the Messianic line.

No. Those were commands for the Jews.
Doc Hoc is actually making some good points. Thanks Big Grin

(03-01-2012 05:25 PM)Jackrabbit Wrote:  do u think well burn for eternity for being heathen blasphemers KC?
or do u think its not literal that atheists will go to hell for the sole crime of not believing?

Calvinist... etc...
@Erxomai

It basically boils down to me having faith that the Bible is the inspired word. I'm not going to apologize for it or try and jump hurdles... it is what it is.

You see it as you have explain - created by power-hungry mongers that wanted to use religion as a political tool. Yes, I can understand the history behind it and understand 100% of your reasoning. I just can't agree with it.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
04-01-2012, 03:12 PM

Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Denicio's post
04-01-2012, 03:15 PM
@KOC
My main issue with believing or using the bible as some type of moral barometer or set of parables is that it is no more valid than any other collection of mythological stories. If the point of it is to provide some sort of set of moral guidelines through a set of stories and parables that may or may not be true, then I can used the Greek mythologies or Disney movies in the same way. Interpreting that book in such a way as to rid it of the obviously immoral portions (such as slavery) but keep the other moral portions means that neither the book, the stories nor the author are the decider of morals, the interpreter is. If this is the case, then the bible is no more valid than any other collection of myths and fairytales and I would contend that no morals actually come from ANY book or set of laws. They come from the individuals that are alive and are either naturally ingrained in us (like not killing one another but still killing animals) or they come from our society as a whole.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
04-01-2012, 03:35 PM (This post was last modified: 04-01-2012 03:38 PM by Mr Woof.)
(31-12-2011 09:03 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(31-12-2011 03:06 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  The Bible is not meant to be read 100% literally. Yep, I said it. There are many factors that have to be considered when reading and interpreting the Bible: context, audience, translation, history, symbolism, metaphors, numerology, poetic language, story language.

I have to go back to this...

You've made a value judgement because you don't like the stuff that's in it. But the Bible itself does not purport to be a book that YOU get to decide what is literal and what it not. Once you have to start rationalizing and explaining the book, you have diminished the Almighty by taking over for God to explain who he REALLY is because he's not the god we see in the bible and he didn't mean to say what's written, but if you do enough mental masturbation, you'll figure it out.

As to Revelation, just saying it's a whack book doesn't get you off the hook for the fact that it is there and to the original readers it meant something real and palatable as diatribe against the Roman Empire. The fact that people have twisted it over the centuries to "prove" their own agenda shows how unreliable this jumble of writings is, and if it's unreliable, why would a "reliable" god choose to use it to communicate? I'd think a truly loving being would want people to understand what he really means instead of every person who reads it having their own opinion.

No, I'm not really going to let you off the hook for saying the Bible is not meant to be read 100% literally, because I can find plenty of Christians who would 100% disagree with you. Of course, it's going to be hard to find them because I've just blocked about 50 of them from my FB this morning. Big Grin
So you're going to have to come up with a more convincing argument than just, "Look at how whacky some of the stuff is so obviously it's not meant to be 100% literal, just the stuff I decide that the Holy Spirit has told me to believe."

Well done Erxomai.

Yes ,we have the ultimate fudies who take the good book seriously, even perhaps to the point of stoning wayward children at the city gates. We also have the so called Progressive Christians, such as Spong and Cupid who demolish practically eveything and still claim some sort of allegiance.
The progs tend to give a veneer of respectability to some aspects of life that should be judged purely at secular levels. By partially bringing in their 'kind of god' notions they only succeed in futher muddying the waters.

In the case of K.C does any of this really matter, as his god is relegated to the role of experimental researcher. Cool
04-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Yeah I just want to say thanks Kings, for not taking the bible as a literal guide to life. You're much more likeable this way.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like lucradis's post
04-01-2012, 06:43 PM
If I wanted to read a fantasy book, then I would prefer Star Wars to be honest. And by read the book, I mean pop in the DVD....who in the heck has the time to read a book anymore?