The Bible's Proof (from a fundamentalist site)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
07-05-2015, 12:46 PM
RE: The Bible's Proof (from a fundamentalist site)
(06-05-2015 08:31 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  Where are these predictions about Israel being restored in 1948? Are you referring to verses in Ezekiel and Isaiah? You sure you're not referring to writings that were predictions made during the Babylonian Exile? Also, bear in mind that bible predictions in general are worded vaguely enough that you could assign a number of historical events to fulfill prophesy.

Consider this passage: Matt 24:3-8

Quote:The Beginning of Calamities. 3 As he was sitting on the Mount of Olives,[c] the disciples approached him privately and said, “Tell us, when will this happen, and what sign will there be of your coming, and of the end of the age?” 4 [d]Jesus said to them in reply, “See that no one deceives you. 5 For many will come in my name, saying, ‘I am the Messiah,’ and they will deceive many. 6 You will hear of wars[e] and reports of wars; see that you are not alarmed, for these things must happen, but it will not yet be the end. 7 Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom; there will be famines and earthquakes from place to place. 8 [f]All these are the beginning of the labor pains.

A prediction of when the Son of Man is to return to judge the world. What criteria shows that the end of the age is approaching? There will be wars, famines and earthquakes. These clues have been going on from the fall of the Roman Empire all the way through today. There have been numerous, I repeat, numerous times where people throughout history thought the end times were coming based on earthquakes, famines and wars. How does this inspire faith? The more of the bible you read, the more you can see how the predictions look more like fortune teller tricks and outright spin. It actually destroys faith when you see this and then see how books of the bible were written years after the events occurred and the prophecies written within them after the outcomes were already known. In particular, when you see that books like Isaiah had 3 separate writers, it shakes the faith in the bible all the more.

I would never say all Bible prophecies have been fulfilled--yet. If they had, you and I would be in Heaven or Hell rather than talking on an online forum.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
07-05-2015, 05:05 PM
(06-05-2015 08:28 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  1. Is that the language I use when I conduct myself on this forum? Can you show me some respect, please?

You haven't even come close to deserving a show of respect. It would be as disingenuous for me to offer it as it is for you to ask for it.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-05-2015, 05:35 PM
(07-05-2015 12:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 08:31 PM)Plan 9 from OS Wrote:  Where are these predictions about Israel being restored in 1948? Are you referring to verses in Ezekiel and Isaiah? You sure you're not referring to writings that were predictions made during the Babylonian Exile? Also, bear in mind that bible predictions in general are worded vaguely enough that you could assign a number of historical events to fulfill prophesy.

Consider this passage: Matt 24:3-8

A prediction of when the Son of Man is to return to judge the world. What criteria shows that the end of the age is approaching? There will be wars, famines and earthquakes. These clues have been going on from the fall of the Roman Empire all the way through today. There have been numerous, I repeat, numerous times where people throughout history thought the end times were coming based on earthquakes, famines and wars. How does this inspire faith? The more of the bible you read, the more you can see how the predictions look more like fortune teller tricks and outright spin. It actually destroys faith when you see this and then see how books of the bible were written years after the events occurred and the prophecies written within them after the outcomes were already known. In particular, when you see that books like Isaiah had 3 separate writers, it shakes the faith in the bible all the more.

I would never say all Bible prophecies have been fulfilled--yet. If they had, you and I would be in Heaven or Hell rather than talking on an online forum.

And somehow your all powerful god totally forgot to fulfill the prophecy of a safe, secure Israel.

Leviticus 26:3

"you shall eat your bread to the full, and live securely in your land. 6 And I will grant peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and no one shall make you afraid; I will remove dangerous animals from the land, and no sword shall go through your land."

"live securely in your land"?? That's pretty funny.

I notice there's still the highly dangerous Israeli Mole Viper crawling around.

[Image: 2354924255_82feb05b15.jpg]

And lets not forget this deadly snake, the regular Israeli Viper.

[Image: 4624673881_015a91e3a8_b.jpg]

I like how you find all the prophecy hits but don't count the misses.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
07-05-2015, 05:45 PM
(07-05-2015 12:45 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm aware of the intervention, particularly with British and American Zionists and those supporting them, but THEY weren't aware that the prophecy fell upon May 15, 1948 until after...

I just wanted to pick on this particular point. You say that there was a prophecy that Israel would be reestablished on May 15 1948. To me that means you have a clear, unambiguous statement in the Bible or elsewhere that could not have been interpreted as a different occasion. Then you say that people working with knowledge of the prophecy (Zionists) were actively working to fulfil the prophecy, but they didn't know the date. So were the specifics in the prophecy and plain for the Zionists to see and work towards, or were they absent from the prophecy such that the Zionists did not see and did not work towards them?

Which is it? How do you get to have it both ways? How can a prophecy's truth be confirmed by information in the prophecy that was not available to those trying to bring it about but which was available after they brought it about?

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
07-05-2015, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-05-2015 05:16 AM by Bucky Ball.)
The democratic nation (ie NOT a Kingdom) of more than 1/2 non-Jews, is in NO WAY a "fulfillment" of any prophecy.

a. First of all, the role of a prophet was not to foretell future events,
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278
b. There is no way that any "prophet" in ancient Israel foresaw a DEMOCRATIC nation, with no messiah as it's leader.

It's simply ignorant fundamentalist bullshit.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
07-05-2015, 07:43 PM
I wonder if the bible prophesied that six million of his chosen people would be killed to bring about this "miracle"? Praise Jeebus I guess.

Q talks so nonchalantly about prophecies while ignoring the horrors that were not prophesied about. They're just Jews so I guess they don't count in Q's glory to Jeebus world.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
08-05-2015, 10:03 AM
(07-05-2015 05:35 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 12:46 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I would never say all Bible prophecies have been fulfilled--yet. If they had, you and I would be in Heaven or Hell rather than talking on an online forum.

And somehow your all powerful god totally forgot to fulfill the prophecy of a safe, secure Israel.

Leviticus 26:3

"you shall eat your bread to the full, and live securely in your land. 6 And I will grant peace in the land, and you shall lie down, and no one shall make you afraid; I will remove dangerous animals from the land, and no sword shall go through your land."

"live securely in your land"?? That's pretty funny.

I notice there's still the highly dangerous Israeli Mole Viper crawling around.

[Image: 2354924255_82feb05b15.jpg]

And lets not forget this deadly snake, the regular Israeli Viper.

[Image: 4624673881_015a91e3a8_b.jpg]

I like how you find all the prophecy hits but don't count the misses.

1) Thanks for admitting the hits.

2) We aren't in the millennium post-Armageddon, either. If I had a nickel for everyone who says, "Why isn't the prophecy fulfilled of beating swords to plowshares?!" before I tell them, "Because the earlier prophecy hasn't been fulfilled yet of beating the plowshares into swords!"

The Jewish people will assuredly live in contentment and safety once there has been a reckoning. "They will be the head of the nations and not the tail."

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
08-05-2015, 10:05 AM
(07-05-2015 05:45 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  
(07-05-2015 12:45 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm aware of the intervention, particularly with British and American Zionists and those supporting them, but THEY weren't aware that the prophecy fell upon May 15, 1948 until after...

I just wanted to pick on this particular point. You say that there was a prophecy that Israel would be reestablished on May 15 1948. To me that means you have a clear, unambiguous statement in the Bible or elsewhere that could not have been interpreted as a different occasion. Then you say that people working with knowledge of the prophecy (Zionists) were actively working to fulfil the prophecy, but they didn't know the date. So were the specifics in the prophecy and plain for the Zionists to see and work towards, or were they absent from the prophecy such that the Zionists did not see and did not work towards them?

Which is it? How do you get to have it both ways? How can a prophecy's truth be confirmed by information in the prophecy that was not available to those trying to bring it about but which was available after they brought it about?

Or this--that the pro-Israel persons and groups worked to bring about what became the UN Resolution enacted at Midnight on May 15, 1948 CE. After, some atheists scoffed at certain prophecies and when Christians looked--voilà!

08-05-2015, 10:06 AM
(07-05-2015 06:55 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  The democratic nation (ie NOT a Kingdom) of more than 1/2 non-Jews, is in NO WAY a "fulfillment" of any prophecy.

a. First of all, the role of a prophet was not to foretell future events,
http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid257278
b. There is no way that any "prophet" in ancient Israel foresaw a DEMOCRATIC nation, with no messiah as it's leader.

It's simply ignorant fundamentalist bullshit.

Help me remember. There was a prophecy that the dry bones of Israel would rise for a time without a spirit in them, and then the Spirit of God would enter them... Smile

08-05-2015, 10:09 AM
(07-05-2015 07:43 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  I wonder if the bible prophesied that six million of his chosen people would be killed to bring about this "miracle"? Praise Jeebus I guess.

Q talks so nonchalantly about prophecies while ignoring the horrors that were not prophesied about. They're just Jews so I guess they don't count in Q's glory to Jeebus world.

We shouldn't ignore the Shoah, no. For some, it made the new, redeemed Israel a sweeter and harder-fought-for haven. There's no need to minimize the Holocaust in my eyes.

The diaspora and the sufferings of the Jewish people were not only prophesied but parallel that of Jesus:

* Hated without a good reason / hated because they belong to God

* Takes the large brunt of anti-God rhetoric and hate

* Seen as lost or missing for an age and then returns/restored

* Etc.