Poll: Have you read the Bible?
Yes, I have read the entire Bible.
Yes, but not all of it.
No, I have never read the Bible.
[Show Results]

The Biblical Narrative

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-09-2010, 12:30 AM (This post was last modified: 09-09-2010 01:52 AM by ebilekittae.)
The Biblical Narrative
I noticed that reading the Bible has come up quite often here and I was just curious as to how many of us have actually read it. Personally I've never read it the whole way through. I read the whole of the New Testament twice (some individual books within it over five times) and I got to about halfway through Psalms in the OT before I quit.

I found it very interesting that my parents and family attributed my apostasy on the lack of study of the Bible while many people here attribute Christians' faith due to lack of study of the Bible. Tongue Not to say I disagree with that--the atrocities page on this website even (not counting all the other problems within it) are definitely hard to ignore.

"It does feel like something to be wrong; it feels like being right." -Kathryn Schulz
I am 100% certain that I am wrong about something I am certain about right now. Because even if everything I stand for turns out to be completely true, I was still wrong about being wrong.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 12:54 AM
RE: The Biblical Narrative
I remember reading Revelations twice, back to back, because I was trying to verify Billy Graham's teachings (or should I say bull shit). I read it the second time much slower and more thoroughly because I could not find any verification at all in the first reading. The second reading made me realize that Billy Graham just made it all up. Reading a weekly column called "My Answer by Billy Graham" around that time resulted in my learning the he was nothing more than a bold faces liar.

I have read other parts of the bible but I didn't keep track of how much I read or which parts they were.
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2010, 01:43 AM

I read the whole bible many, many years ago ... more as a test of my endurance than a particular interest in the contents. I certainly am not familiar enough literally to be able to quote chapter and verse.
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2010, 07:08 AM
Read the whole thing, but it's been a looooong time, and it was a Catholic Youth Bible (Annotated). There's quite the difference between that version and the standard King James.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
09-09-2010, 07:40 AM
I've read parts of it, but can't say overall how much. I actually keep meaning to read the whole thing, if I can. I tried once when I was much younger and a believer but I just got bored halfway through Genesis. If I had continued and paid attention, I might have started doubting things earlier than I did.

Our brains deceive us on a regular basis, so we have to find ways to fight back.
09-09-2010, 11:37 AM
Revelations is a TRIP! Like, whoever wrote it must've eaten some rye bread that had ergot fungus on it, or at least some mushrooms! Trippy!