The Big Bang, Irony, and Christian trolling..

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-06-2011, 08:03 PM
The Big Bang, Irony, and Christian trolling..
I got the most unintentionally funny email today. I thought I'd share since it is comedic gold and highlights the common misconceptions many creationists have regarding cosmology, abiogenesis, and evolution.

Quote:I can't believe how many uneducated and backward people still believe some God
created everything. For the unlearned let me summarize and please get this straight once and for all: Long,long ago there was a tiny, microscopic piece of energy, named "Irvin" floating thru a void, minding his own business, whistling
"Me And My Shadow." You may be asking "where did Irvin come from?"--That's easily answered. He always was.
Anyway, after an estimated 89.3 zillion years, Irvin started expanding. He grew bigger and bigger with no idea of why this was happening. He exercised, he went on diets but he kept getting bigger. Finally the inevitable happened. Yes, Irvin exploded. A large piece of Irvin created the universe. A much smaller piece created what we know as earth. An even smaller piece hit earth and created a slime hole. And out of this slime hole crawled your ancestors and Barney Frank. The rest of Irvin became McDonalds, Toys-Are-Us, Ho-Ho's,etc.---So now you can surely see what a far-out story and fantasy it is to believe God created everything. I'll bet Christians, for sure, really feel dumb when they read this.

Thing is... Christians SHOULD feel really dumb when they read this (if that's what sums up their understanding of the origin of the universe).

Christians, I'm not saying it's dumb if you don't know about the big bang. I'm saying it's dumb if you make these types of claims about the big bang without understanding any of the basics. Children can understand it better than this.

I am having a hard time deciding if he is serious and/or Christian because of the sarcasm in parts of what he has written. It's like reverse sarcasm.. When it backfires! lol

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-06-2011, 08:38 PM
RE: The Big Bang, Irony, and Christian trolling..
Poe..

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forego their use." - Galileo

"Every man is guilty of all the good he did not do." - Voltaire
20-06-2011, 09:19 PM
(20-06-2011 08:38 PM)daemonowner Wrote:  Poe..
Thing is - this was sent to the forum email address.. Why would a poe send something like that to an atheist forum. It's like shockofgod trolling the evolutionfairytale forum. It just doesn't make sense!

That's why I'm having trouble understanding this..

20-06-2011, 10:13 PM
It almost does sound sarcastic but it's worded in such a way as to remain unclassified. Weird and funny. Maybe off topic but it seems lately that the forum is being slowly taken over by the other side if you know what I mean. Unrelated, conspiracy? You decide! Duh duh dun

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
21-06-2011, 03:09 AM
(20-06-2011 10:13 PM)lucradis Wrote:  It almost does sound sarcastic but it's worded in such a way as to remain unclassified. Weird and funny. Maybe off topic but it seems lately that the forum is being slowly taken over by the other side if you know what I mean. Unrelated, conspiracy? You decide! Duh duh dun
I don't think so! Show me what you mean! Where are they taking over this forum?

As far as I know atheists heavily outweigh theists on this forum. I would gladly have lots of theists here. They are welcome to come if they are generally civil and don't spam the forum.

Ultimately it won't affect the forum since we have free speech here. I guess it would fire test the forum. We would have to find ways to deal with obnoxious people that are out to give the forum users a hard time. Other than that - it's all good!

21-06-2011, 07:34 AM
Oh I was only referring to Parture, but not in a genuinely serious way. I also would love to have theists here, especially if they were of the variety to welcome open conversation and debate. Sadly that doesn't seem to be what Parture is here for. Still I enjoy the e-mail, regardless of how it was intended.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
21-06-2011, 08:02 AM
I too encountered a creationist who claimed that evolution says that a cell was just created from nothing. Which is of course not even close to the truth.
Just like DeepThought said: The problem is not whether you know it or nor, the problem is when you criticize it without knowing it!

..."we can be truly free - not because we can rebel against the the tyranny of the selfish replicators but because we know that there is no one to rebel."
Susan Blackmore : The Meme Machine
22-06-2011, 09:06 PM
OK.. The guy replied to my email and seems like he's just a sarcastic jerk who claims to be Christian.

Dennis Smith Wrote:This is satire (the “thinking” atheist-haha)—And YES, I’m a Christian (Thank God) ---

So thankyou Dennis, not sure what you were trying to accomplish here but I doubt you got what you wanted. Tongue

23-06-2011, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 23-06-2011 12:30 AM by DeepThought.)
Ok, I know I shouldn't feed the trolls.. but sometimes I can't help myself.

Dennis Smith Wrote:Dear Thinking Atheist,
Wow, what an intellectual reply! I don’t believe I can top that.
Good luck.

PS: Isn’t “thinking atheist” actually an oxymoron? Yes, I do believe it is.

Then this amusing exchange happens:
[Image: attachment.php?aid=173]
Now I'm looking forward to welcoming this Dennis character to our forum.

I suppose I'll leave it to him to post his email or if he signs up people can email him through the profile page Smile

Ok Dennis, the ball in in your court.

I sent my reply:
Code:
OK...

That Google Nexus stuff sounds scary! What is that? a smart-phone?
Hint: This domain uses Google Apps for mail. I'm using a desktop right now, so I guess you outsmarted me again huh!

Lets see what you can do. I'm waiting in anticipation and ready to be disappointed.

Post here when you are ready :)
http://thethinkingatheist.com/forum/Thread-The-Big-Bang-Irony-and-Christian-trolling?pid=36597#pid36597

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

23-06-2011, 11:39 AM
By disabled does he mean mentally?
Deep, you should worry he seems really really tech savvy. Confused