The Big Bang and Evolution are just theories

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2013, 06:44 PM
The Big Bang and Evolution are just theories
Somehow over our holiday dinner, the conversation stirred onto religion in school, my family firmly believes that prayer should be placed in school and if an atheist or a person of another religion doesn't like it, they can sit there quietly and suck it up. After all America is a Christian Nation, our founding fathers said so. The conversation then shifted to the Big Bang and Evolution, they insist that these are just theories and easily disproven by the Bible.

Not being a brainwashed fool, I could not stand for any of these arguments. Eventually by sticking to my guns I cleared the table. How can I come from this gene pool? I love my family and I know they are intelligent people, but how can intelligent people believe in something so stupid?

After having it insinuated that I tried to wreck dinner, I had to vent.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes WVAtheist's post
29-11-2013, 08:15 PM
RE: The Big Bang and Evolution are just theories
(29-11-2013 06:44 PM)WVAtheist Wrote:  Somehow over our holiday dinner, the conversation stirred onto religion in school, my family firmly believes that prayer should be placed in school and if an atheist or a person of another religion doesn't like it, they can sit there quietly and suck it up. After all America is a Christian Nation, our founding fathers said so. The conversation then shifted to the Big Bang and Evolution, they insist that these are just theories and easily disproven by the Bible.

Not being a brainwashed fool, I could not stand for any of these arguments. Eventually by sticking to my guns I cleared the table. How can I come from this gene pool? I love my family and I know they are intelligent people, but how can intelligent people believe in something so stupid?

Of course evolution and the Big Bang are just theories: If they were wrong; they wouldn't be.

Personally, I think you should get your father to read the Treaty of Tripoli, wherein, it is explicitly written by then-President John Adams: "... the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion..." It would be helpful to him and co to understand that the Government never set up the US to be Christian or any other religion.

As for how intelligent people could believe it? Indoctrination is an incredibly powerful mental poison and I assume that's what happened. However, it must be said; The biggest problem with arguing against intelligent people is that they are far better at rationalising beliefs than 'dumber' people.

I cam empathise, even though my family is nowhere near as bad as yours seems to be there have been rare moments (though not of religious nature, but entirely scientific) which have been incredibly agitating to me.

Good luck with your family.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
30-11-2013, 02:08 AM
(29-11-2013 06:44 PM)WVAtheist Wrote:  Somehow over our holiday dinner, the conversation stirred onto religion in school, my family firmly believes that prayer should be placed in school and if an atheist or a person of another religion doesn't like it, they can sit there quietly and suck it up. After all America is a Christian Nation, our founding fathers said so. The conversation then shifted to the Big Bang and Evolution, they insist that these are just theories and easily disproven by the Bible.

Well, as far as the whole 'Christian Nation' and 'Big Bang is a Lie' bollocks goes...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
30-11-2013, 05:02 PM
(29-11-2013 06:44 PM)WVAtheist Wrote:  After all America is a Christian Nation, our founding fathers said so.
A careful reading of the First Amendment reveals that the official religion of the United States is agnosticism.

Humans arrived on Earth on 22 October 4004 B.C. A few of us are still trying to repair the ship.
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
30-11-2013, 05:05 PM

I believe that the treaty of Tripoli signed by John Adams stated that "the Government of the United States of America is not, in any sense, founded on the Christian religion" (Article 7)

So there ya go, disproved your parents completely.
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
30-11-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh, FT already got that. Dodgy
[+] 1 user Likes The_Thinking_Theist's post
30-11-2013, 05:37 PM
Quote:my family firmly believes that prayer should be placed in school

Do they?

[Image: Indian-muslims-praying.jpg]

Really?

Somehow I think not.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 2 users Like Minimalist's post
30-11-2013, 06:37 PM
Quote:the·o·ry [thee-uh-ree, theer-ee]

—noun, plural the·o·ries.

1. a coherent group of tested general propositions, commonly regarded as correct, that can be used as principles of explanation and prediction for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity. Synonyms: principle, law, doctrine.

2. a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural and subject to experimentation, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact. Synonyms: idea, notion hypothesis, postulate. Antonyms: practice, verification, corroboration, substantiation.

3. Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.

4. the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.

5. a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles: conflicting theories of how children best learn to read.

6. contemplation or speculation: the theory that there is life on other planets.

7. guess or conjecture: My theory is that he never stops to think words have consequences.

Fundies prefer to play the "wrong definition" card, usually out of ignorance. Definition #1 covers it clearly.

Big bang and evolution are theories in the exact same way as heliocentrism and quantum theory. I'd bet they have no problem with the sun being the center of our solar system, or with all those little particles that make electronics work.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 1 user Likes Jeffasaurus's post
30-11-2013, 06:40 PM
(30-11-2013 05:06 PM)The_Thinking_Theist Wrote:  Oh, FT already got that. Dodgy

It's happened to me many times before; I just know to be quick with these things.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
01-12-2013, 08:16 AM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2013 08:34 AM by IndianAtheist.)
(29-11-2013 06:44 PM)WVAtheist Wrote:  Somehow over our holiday dinner, the conversation stirred onto religion in school, my family firmly believes that prayer should be placed in school and if an atheist or a person of another religion doesn't like it, they can sit there quietly and suck it up.
Oh really ? will they "Suck it up" when obama makes Islamic prayers compulsury for non-muslims ?

>After all America is a Christian Nation, our founding fathers said so.

Wait.. corret me if i'm wrong but isn't America a "Secular" democracy ?
>they insist that these are just theories and easily disproven by the Bible.
Too bad Bible is nothing more than scribblings of some stupid desert dwellers who knew less than i did in 5th grade.

There are no talking animals and the earth is more than a billion years old Big Grin and as far as evolution being a "Theory" goes keep in mind that gravity is also just a "Theory" and so is a "Germ" and yet you have perfect antibodies made on simple theories.

Taxonomy&biolgoy seriously would get overly convoluted if you take out evoultion you just have to accept it as fact or else you can't be a biologist or a palentoligist lol
Quote:but how can intelligent people believe in something so stupid?
because they WANT to.. not that they particularly care if that makes snese or not.