The Big Bang never happened ?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-01-2013, 02:30 AM
RE: The Big Bang never happened ?
(13-01-2013 11:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks for the link. Will read more tomorrow (bedtime now).

I confess I'm not a fan of the Big Bang theory... the rapid expansion bit has always struck me as special pleading.

I like the Big Ripple Theory.
I want to hear why you think the theory of rapid expansion preceding the big bang is special pleading. That isn't a sarcastic or dismissive request, I genuinely would like to hear your opinion.

There are things we don't know, and there are things which I believe we can't know due to the limits of our physical universe so at some point the best we can do is look the the results and make an educated guess as to the catalyst. In my opinion it's as good as any other theory, if not better...don't know shit about the 'Big Ripple' theory, I may read up on it some time.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2013, 09:01 AM
(15-01-2013 02:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(13-01-2013 11:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Thanks for the link. Will read more tomorrow (bedtime now).

I confess I'm not a fan of the Big Bang theory... the rapid expansion bit has always struck me as special pleading.

I like the Big Ripple Theory.
I want to hear why you think the theory of rapid expansion preceding the big bang is special pleading....

Obviously, I'm no expert so I fully expect to be wrong (if I had the intelligence to understand the explanation) but when people say it's ok to travel faster than light at the rapid expansion, I go WTF? Since when was the speed of light not a constant?

It seems like special pleading to me.

(15-01-2013 02:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
don't know shit about the 'Big Ripple' theory, I may read up on it some time.

You can't read about it cos I made it up.

See here http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-is-Space?
post #6 for my thoughts (which are not really up to being called a theory) and then the link within that post for a bit more explanation.

I just thought 'Big Ripple Theory' had a ring to it.

Smile

15-01-2013, 09:08 AM
You know what I'd like to see (well, not really see, but it's fascinating to read about)? The Big Crunch.
[Image: 256px-Big_crunch.png]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
15-01-2013, 09:44 AM
(15-01-2013 09:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 02:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  I want to hear why you think the theory of rapid expansion preceding the big bang is special pleading....

Obviously, I'm no expert so I fully expect to be wrong (if I had the intelligence to understand the explanation) but when people say it's ok to travel faster than light at the rapid expansion, I go WTF? Since when was the speed of light not a constant?

(15-01-2013 02:30 AM)Dark Light Wrote:  ...
don't know shit about the 'Big Ripple' theory, I may read up on it some time.

post #6 for my thoughts (which are not really up to being called a theory) and then the link within that post for a bit more explanation.

Smile

If you are referring to the Inflationary Epoch, then there is some real physics behind it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2013, 10:25 AM
(15-01-2013 09:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 09:01 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Obviously, I'm no expert so I fully expect to be wrong (if I had the intelligence to understand the explanation) but when people say it's ok to travel faster than light at the rapid expansion, I go WTF? Since when was the speed of light not a constant?

Smile

If you are referring to the Inflationary Epoch, then there is some real physics behind it.

Pure speculation.

Tongue

15-01-2013, 03:18 PM
(15-01-2013 10:25 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 09:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  If you are referring to the Inflationary Epoch, then there is some real physics behind it.

Pure speculation.

Tongue

If you've ever witnessed crystallization in a super-saturated solution, you would understand the concept.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  [split] Gravity waves from the Big Bang hjzin 15 331 21-03-2014 03:38 PM
Last Post: DLJ
  Psychics tested in a controlled environment, and guess what happened?! Hughsie 2 491 31-10-2012 01:04 AM
Last Post: Dark Light
  Roswell, New Mexico -What really happened? Grassy Knoll 5 906 05-02-2012 06:08 PM
Last Post: Grassy Knoll