The Big "G" is Dying?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-09-2016, 12:46 AM
The Big "G" is Dying?
I've noticed in some of our Aussie media that the upper case "G" is being dumped in favour of the lower case, as per:

"They were trying to get people on other flights, but because we needed to get there in time for the 3.20pm game, we just got online and booked another flight. Thank god for Virgin."
Melbourne AGE

This prompts me to ask why it is that Christians persist in using the "big G" when they write the word. As far as I know, the word "god" is not a proper noun, and therefore shouldn't be capitalised. Or is this yet another example of a presumptuous christian? (See what I did there?)

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
10-09-2016, 01:16 AM
RE: The Big "G" is Dying?
It's an encouraging step in the right direction.

I'll be even happier when they start saying, "... Thank the gods for Virgin." Because then we'll know that another sect's preferred deity has been relegated to the dustbin of time.

The capital 'G' (as in your signature, I note) does denote a proper noun as the name of their god is God in the same way that the Greeks had their Zeus. But it's just marketing / brand promotion... in the same way that the church managed to get their brand onto stuff like marriage and funerals.

Smile

[+] 4 users Like DLJ's post
10-09-2016, 01:37 AM
Ubiquity has it's advantages, I suppose.

Interesting - until presumptuous christians came along - the name of god was "unutterable". You're just supposed to think it.
The Dead Sea scrolls have it wrtten in a very different way which distinguishes it from other gods. It is very recognizable in the written form. Again, you're only to think it. Really drums it into the brain.

For many, such reverence still seems compulsory - even our dear Aliza omits a letter in her spellings.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-09-2016, 01:52 AM
(10-09-2016 01:37 AM)kim Wrote:  The Dead Sea scrolls have it wrtten in a very different way which distinguishes it from other gods. It is very recognizable in the written form.

The tetragrammaton? Isn't that the 'YHWH' malarkey?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
10-09-2016, 02:02 AM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2016 02:10 AM by kim.)
(10-09-2016 01:52 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(10-09-2016 01:37 AM)kim Wrote:  The Dead Sea scrolls have it wrtten in a very different way which distinguishes it from other gods. It is very recognizable in the written form.

The tetragrammaton? Isn't that the 'YHWH' malarkey?

If you can trust anyone ... he better have this guy's accent...

Yea - the backward, E F E and footed L - highlighted in this guy's video.
Pretty interesting. I love that he called it a "logo" - that's pretty much what it is! Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
10-09-2016, 02:28 PM
I think they do it out of a sign of reverence, oblivious to how pompous it is.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
[+] 1 user Likes The Organic Chemist's post
10-09-2016, 03:12 PM
Nah. The big "G" is fine.

[Image: All-seeing-eye.gif]

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
10-09-2016, 04:33 PM
(10-09-2016 01:37 AM)kim Wrote:  For many, such reverence still seems compulsory - even our dear Aliza omits a letter in her spellings.

Yep... I've seen this letter omission on multiple posts on different forums, usually as "G_d". Why is it that some Christians are wary of even typing the name of their god? Are they—literally—fearful of "offending" it?

Instead, shouldn't they be loudly proclaiming its name everywhere, for all to see (and glorify)?

And as for Zeus— the sky and thunder god in ancient Greek religion—I accept the upper case Z because that obviously is a proper name. But, his children, Ares, Hebe, and Hephaestus were also gods. He was respected as an all-father who was chief of the gods and assigned the others to their roles, "Even the gods who are not his natural children address him as Father, and all the gods rise in his presence."

So, it's more than presumptuous of Christians to claim any god as their very own, unique, and superior god.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
10-09-2016, 05:29 PM
It's a proper name to my retard relatives. "There's only one GOD!"

"Yeah, and he's in the Avengers!"
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
10-09-2016, 05:55 PM
Until god is proven to exist as an actual being and not just in someone's imagination I'm not capitalizing the "g" in god.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 3 users Like dancefortwo's post