The Big Think Creationism debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-03-2013, 10:59 AM
The Big Think Creationism debate

Watching this right now. The US needs programming like this. But we have 'Dancing with the Stars' instead Dodgy

My favorite quote thus far is from James O'Brein around 10:05 when he says
"If a child turns up at school and receives bullying for believing a lie, the blame lies with the person who has told them the lies."

I like that. Parents (I am one now, so I don't feel as hypocritical by criticizing parents) want to believe that A) their children will always revere them as a preeminent scholar on all things and that B) their "truths" can trump reality and that ridiculous ideas shouldn't be criticized because some people wholly believe them.

Evolve

Smartass
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/James_Beard2
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
25-03-2013, 12:59 AM
RE: The Big Think Creationism debate
I'm new to this forum. Hi everybody.... I do think it is strange how one can feel that the earth is about 6000 years old when scientific data clearly says otherwise.
25-03-2013, 07:23 AM
Re: The Big Think Creationism debate
I have a father-in-law who remains convinced that he (as a young earth creationist) knows enough science to argue with me (geologist/paleontologist) about geology, evolution, and fossils. The arrogant ignorance is quite astounding indeed.
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
25-03-2013, 11:54 AM
I too wish that the mindless jackoffs that develop programming could put shows like that on TV in the US. But nooooo, we get The Bible and other shows on NatGeo and the History Channel, ffs.
[+] 1 user Likes devilsadvoc8's post
25-03-2013, 01:16 PM
We definitely have some shit programming in the U.S.; it's mostly become some reality crap where cameras follow average schmoes around in their trainwreck lives. The Science Channel seems to be the only one still trying to keep the viewers' I.Q.s above double digits. I do appreciate that Big Bang, old Earth, and Evolution are all treated as absolute fact.

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRcmPL4codsbtiJhpFav3r...-w_49ttW6a]
[+] 2 users Like Jeffasaurus's post
30-03-2013, 08:33 AM
(25-03-2013 12:59 AM)Zombie Killer Wrote:  I'm new to this forum. Hi everybody.... I do think it is strange how one can feel that the earth is about 6000 years old when scientific data clearly says otherwise.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

Fundamentalist Christians think that the scientists are biased, in much the same way that we view scientists who attempt to reckon a young Earth to be biased. It's based on this idea that "whoever is not with us is against us", the rallying cry of victimization. One of the main problems with convincing them to "see the evidence for themselves" is that it's not something that the typical person can understand or accept.

I personally like to demonstrate the universe's old age with the commonly accepted notion that many visible stars are millions of light years away, suggesting that their light took millions of years to get here. Obviously a theist will not accept this (cognitive dissonance at work) and will probably argue that we can't be certain that light always remained the same speed or will argue that the distance of these stars has been miscalculated (though anyone with an understanding of trigonometry can do the calculations himself)... but once they presume this uncertainty, that makes the claims of those who have "calculated" a young Earth equally uncertain since they've also had to necessarily induce past patterns as constant.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
07-04-2013, 05:58 PM
And people constantly wonder why we are illiterate nowadays. I'm a 17 year old senior in high school, and I consider my self a lot more intellectual than the other students at my school. I got a 32 on my ACT. Second highest in the school, friends constantly ask me how I got such a high score and I reply with: "I watch TV shows that actually better myself, and instead of reading tweets or Facebook status' I read books or news articles" TV is just awful to watch these days. Growing up in this generation is difficult for me. Something like this on TV every once and a while would open up the minds of my peers. I'm on Facebook every once and a while, just to see what everyone's been eating and their daily habits... Dodgy but I'll always post a good video from Richard Dawkins, or Lawrence Krauss just in the hope that someone will watch it, and hopefully get them to learn something.

“My Nation expects me to be physically harder and mentally stronger than my enemies. If knocked down, I will get back up, every time. I will draw on every remaining ounce of strength to protect my teammates and to accomplish our mission. I am never out of the fight.” - Marcus Luttrell
[+] 2 users Like Misenhelter's post
08-04-2013, 01:54 AM
I don't believe "think" and "creationism" belong in the same sentence together.

Manifest Insanity @ Amazon
[+] 2 users Like Diogenes of Mayberry's post
14-08-2013, 02:13 PM
(25-03-2013 07:23 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  I have a father-in-law who remains convinced that he (as a young earth creationist) knows enough science to argue with me (geologist/paleontologist) about geology, evolution, and fossils. The arrogant ignorance is quite astounding indeed.

Once you start with the answer (god did it), you really have nowhere else to go...so no amount of scientific fact/evidence will ever suffice...this is, of course, the antithesis of science, where we start with an hypothesis and (hopefully) generate evidence in support of the hypothesis...thus ideas/hypotheses will live and die on the quality and quantity of the supporting evidence...this is anathema to creationists

Born into and died in a Catholic family. Resurrected an atheist at the age of 7. My Blog; My Email
[+] 3 users Like foxholeatheist's post
19-08-2013, 11:33 PM
At least in the US, the constitution prevents these lot from invading the classroom. The new free schools in England are out of the national curriculum, and can basically teach whatever they want.

Grindon Hall free school has a "Creation Policy" stating...

"We believe that God, as sovereign Lord of the universe, is capable of creating the world in a few 24-hour days… We will teach creation as a scientific theory and we will always affirm very clearly our position as Christians, ie that Christians believe that God's creation of the world is not just a theory but a fact with eternal consequences for our planet and for every person who has ever lived on it. We will affirm that to believe in God's creation of the world is an entirely respectable position scientifically and rationally."

And all of this is paid for with our taxes...

The stars are matter, we are matter... but it doesn't matter. - Captain Beefheart