The Blasphemy Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-01-2015, 11:01 AM
RE: The Blasphemy Thread
(09-01-2015 10:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Respectfully asked, to all,

If you've never heard the call how would you know you've never heard one? What sort of call/sign were you expecting?

If your god can't call in a way that I recognize then I'd say that it's a pretty pathetic deity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like unfogged's post
09-01-2015, 11:14 AM
An omniscient god shouldn't have to ask for my digits, he should just know. Would it be considered a long distance call or local?

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
09-01-2015, 11:37 AM (This post was last modified: 09-01-2015 11:44 AM by Clockwork.)
Re: The Blasphemy Thread
As has been said, I don't know what it would take, but an omniscient god would know.

Plus, what unfogged said.

And Q, how do you have not missed the correct call of Allah, Shiva, Hotei, Marduk, Mithra, or other deity/deities?
09-01-2015, 12:27 PM
Well, that's what I get for asking a sincere question. So I'll add this--the call is always contextual inside our moral fibre. When I was called, I realized I would have to change my lifestyle, so I resisted the call. Several more came. I gave in.

As for an omniscient God providing for you, perhaps I am fitting your bill. That is, I was sent to TTA to call you. Call back or raise but don't fold!

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-01-2015, 12:50 PM
(09-01-2015 12:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  When I was called, I realized I would have to change my lifestyle, so I resisted the call. Several more came. I gave in.

That has nothing to do with being called, it has to do with you.

One does not have to change one's lifestyle for faith to ring true. But hey, go right ahead and keep shooting your imaginary friend in the face ... it's not my circus...

Nothing is more disappointing than someone professing to have faith, who then proceeds to demonstrate no understanding of it's mechanics. Drinking Beverage ween.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
09-01-2015, 01:31 PM
(09-01-2015 12:27 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Well, that's what I get for asking a sincere question.

You got sincere answers.

Quote:So I'll add this--the call is always contextual inside our moral fibre. When I was called, I realized I would have to change my lifestyle, so I resisted the call. Several more came. I gave in.

I have not resisted any call. I have never heard or felt anything that could even remotely be considered a call. If your god exists and tried to call then it didn't get through and, as I said before, that speaks only to its lack of competence.

Quote:As for an omniscient God providing for you, perhaps I am fitting your bill. That is, I was sent to TTA to call you. Call back or raise but don't fold!

Now THAT is funny. You have offered nothing except bald assertions and what I consider to be incredibly immoral beliefs. If you are the call then your god is truly not worthy of being called a deity.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
09-01-2015, 01:49 PM
(09-01-2015 10:41 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Respectfully asked, to all,

If you've never heard the call how would you know you've never heard one? What sort of call/sign were you expecting?

Yeah, felt the Holy Spirit and all that, I realized it was BS. I saw other people that were called to do whatever, I kept score when they invoked "god's call" as a rationale.

I realized they were failing as much or more when they invoked the god excuse as a rationale for their behavior.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-01-2015, 02:04 PM
Then I'll turn it over to you. Without being flippant or silly, can you honestly describe what you are expecting in a "call"?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-01-2015, 02:12 PM
(09-01-2015 02:04 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then I'll turn it over to you. Without being flippant or silly, can you honestly describe what you are expecting in a "call"?

Something falsifiable that has evidence behind it.

So feelings, urges, soft voices from within are not in that realm, if god wanted me to give to poor people then I should receive the numbers to win the lottery- and then win it.

Then he better be good about follow up with details on who, how much etc. You know, actual communication, not subjective feelings or intuition.

In short, stop pretending to be the Invisible Man.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
09-01-2015, 03:08 PM
(09-01-2015 02:12 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  
(09-01-2015 02:04 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Then I'll turn it over to you. Without being flippant or silly, can you honestly describe what you are expecting in a "call"?

Something falsifiable that has evidence behind it.

So feelings, urges, soft voices from within are not in that realm, if god wanted me to give to poor people then I should receive the numbers to win the lottery- and then win it.

Then he better be good about follow up with details on who, how much etc. You know, actual communication, not subjective feelings or intuition.

In short, stop pretending to be the Invisible Man.

Do you know what the issue is with some of what you wrote? That the Bible states plainly that God is mostly veiled to us due to our sin. You can no more say to God "I need the results of 5th race at Belmont, win, place and show, please..." then you can tell your boss "I'll only follow your literal, timely, explicit instructions, given when I ask for them only" and expect to remain employed.

However, I can tell you this. If you are really seeking, you will really find.