The Blasphemy Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2015, 03:54 PM
RE: The Blasphemy Thread
First, there is little opportunity to apply the Baal incident, which I did not eyewitness personally, to me. Better would be looking at Bible prophecy IMO. Second, I literally cannot provide "falsifiable" evidence to people who are die hard skeptics NOR CAN ANYONE FOR ANY GIVEN FACT. If you want to tell me the moon is made of green cheese you need the reality check-in and not me. Third and most importantly, Jesus emphasized that if YOU seek YOU will find. Not EVERYONE will find or non-seekers will receive.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-01-2015, 04:10 PM
^Congratulations: This is the third time I've heard "you need to be sincere in your search for Christ and you'll just dismiss any evidence I submit because you're a big skeptical poopy face" today.

(12-01-2015 12:49 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Elijah and the Apologist of Baal

Quote:“He is not one of our number,” said one of the prophets of Baal. “He is what is called an apologist,” and he did make a dismissive wanking motion as he rolled his eyes.

That is amazing and I am now following that blog.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
12-01-2015, 04:12 PM
(12-01-2015 04:10 PM)Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue Wrote:  ^Congratulations: This is the third time I've heard "you need to be sincere in your search for Christ and you'll just dismiss any evidence I submit because you're a big skeptical poopy face" today.

(12-01-2015 12:49 PM)TheInquisition Wrote:  Elijah and the Apologist of Baal

Quote:“He is not one of our number,” said one of the prophets of Baal. “He is what is called an apologist,” and he did make a dismissive wanking motion as he rolled his eyes.

That is amazing and I am now following that blog.

I lol'ed, I think Q was there. Laugh out load

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
12-01-2015, 04:13 PM
[Image: IMG_58942485748146_zpsn2trecyg.jpeg]
12-01-2015, 04:40 PM
(12-01-2015 03:54 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  First, there is little opportunity to apply the Baal incident, which I did not eyewitness personally, to me. Better would be looking at Bible prophecy IMO. Second, I literally cannot provide "falsifiable" evidence to people who are die hard skeptics NOR CAN ANYONE FOR ANY GIVEN FACT. If you want to tell me the moon is made of green cheese you need the reality check-in and not me. Third and most importantly, Jesus emphasized that if YOU seek YOU will find. Not EVERYONE will find or non-seekers will receive.

What is the difference in me claiming the moon is made of cheese and your claim that you know god's will, or that I will find something you cannot prove exists?

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
12-01-2015, 04:58 PM
Re: The Blasphemy Thread
There is no falsifiable evidence of your god, or of any gods. If there were, we wouldn't be atheists. You can't say skeptics would 100% ignore evidence. That's why it's "skeptic" and not "believer."

You can't just assume there's evidence and then say, it's there but you won't see it. Doesn't work that way.
13-01-2015, 10:50 AM
I hear what you all are saying and tried to find a better analogy today. Let's call this one the follow-up to Pascal's wager. Pascal's wager of "If Jesus is real you gain eternal life by trusting Him, if not, you gain some earthly benefit" is half the story. The other half is that the objective rewards are obtained only by those who take them for themselves...

...Your friend says, "Costco is offering free pizza samples today at all their stores." You either go to the store or don't based on the level of trust you place in your friend. Is your friend reliable? It is likely there is really free pizza. Unreliable? He may be telling a fib. In this case, the reward is based on your choice. Here's the point, the pizza is there or isn't there, regardless of how much you trust or distrust this friend. It is possible that the pizza exists even if this is the friend you just found out is the father of your wife's baby and really isn't your friend!

Clockwork is right, you can't just assume there's evidence and say it exists but you can't see it. It is THERE, but you have to go THERE to get it, just like the pizza. There is no alternative. If YOU seek YOU will find, if YOU knock it shall be opened unto YOU.

Here's the kicker--the type of evidence God will provide to you will surely be adequate to meet your standards for falsifiability and etc. if you are seeking. It's a private party and everyone is invited but the pizza is only served at the party if you RSVP. Also, I know well that when some of you were deconverting or praying in your youth, you didn't know what the word "falsifiable" and etc. meant. You realize your standards of proof have likely increased, the longer you've been a skeptic. Okay, fine. God is powerful and able to prove Himself to anyone who WANTS to receive the proof.

My "out" is biblical--the Bible specifically addresses this notion that Jesus is for individuals who want Jesus and truth, exclusively. Are you willing to say to Jesus, "If you are real, and you will demonstrate yourself to me so I know it cannot be mere imagination or earthly reasoning, I will walk away from TTA..."?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
13-01-2015, 11:22 AM
Also, following up on blasphemy itself, Jesus was accused of being a blasphemer (Matt. 26:59–61; John 10:33,19:7) because He claimed divinity/One-ness with YHWH, not because He called God bad names...

13-01-2015, 11:31 AM
The Blasphemy Thread
A better version of what I said is this... Not Costco, but your friends say a store is giving free pizza samples. Then one friend says it's Costco, another says Sam's, another says S-Mart, another says World Market, etc.

Now the problem with that is which one is the right one? Suppose you've gone to these stores and they've never had free samples. (In real life they have, but let's pretend they haven't.)

Now you're stuck with you've never seen free samples, and even if you like pizza which one is the right one?
13-01-2015, 11:58 AM
(13-01-2015 10:50 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I hear what you all are saying and tried to find a better analogy today. Let's call this one the follow-up to Pascal's wager. Pascal's wager of "If Jesus is real you gain eternal life by trusting Him, if not, you gain some earthly benefit" is half the story. The other half is that the objective rewards are obtained only by those who take them for themselves...

...Your friend says, "Costco is offering free pizza samples today at all their stores." You either go to the store or don't based on the level of trust you place in your friend. Is your friend reliable? It is likely there is really free pizza. Unreliable? He may be telling a fib. In this case, the reward is based on your choice. Here's the point, the pizza is there or isn't there, regardless of how much you trust or distrust this friend. It is possible that the pizza exists even if this is the friend you just found out is the father of your wife's baby and really isn't your friend!

Clockwork is right, you can't just assume there's evidence and say it exists but you can't see it. It is THERE, but you have to go THERE to get it, just like the pizza. There is no alternative. If YOU seek YOU will find, if YOU knock it shall be opened unto YOU.

Here's the kicker--the type of evidence God will provide to you will surely be adequate to meet your standards for falsifiability and etc. if you are seeking. It's a private party and everyone is invited but the pizza is only served at the party if you RSVP. Also, I know well that when some of you were deconverting or praying in your youth, you didn't know what the word "falsifiable" and etc. meant. You realize your standards of proof have likely increased, the longer you've been a skeptic. Okay, fine. God is powerful and able to prove Himself to anyone who WANTS to receive the proof.

My "out" is biblical--the Bible specifically addresses this notion that Jesus is for individuals who want Jesus and truth, exclusively. Are you willing to say to Jesus, "If you are real, and you will demonstrate yourself to me so I know it cannot be mere imagination or earthly reasoning, I will walk away from TTA..."?

A few problems with this, this contradicts a notion of a loving god, he just sits there and hopes that you come to him while he plans to send you to eternal torment to a place that he made. No chance at redemption after you die, the judgement is eternal.

This contradicts an all-powerful god, all he does is sit there passively and say he loves you without doing anything. This was not the case with Thomas, he doubted, Jesus showed him physical evidence, not feels, not biased interpretation of an event, actual evidence. He made powerful demonstrations in Old Testament myth, but no more.

Your conditions for evidence are acquiescence, if you already believe, then you don't require evidence, this is circular. I notice apologetic arguments are invariably constructed as a means to dodge falsifiability. This lack of falsifiability is the currency of apologetics, lack of falsifiability is where Christianity gets hung on a cross.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 4 users Like TheInquisition's post