The Blasphemy Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-12-2014, 01:55 PM
Re: The Blasphemy Thread
I did ask a clergyman about the Unforgivable Sin. Here's what he told me: it's when you know the Truth and have turned your back on it through decision or laxity.

That is, you were a True Christian and have knowingly not kept the faith.

Of course, each denomination says it's the real one, so I have no clue how any deity can hold anyone accountable.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-12-2014, 02:43 PM
RE: The Blasphemy Thread
(04-12-2014 01:55 PM)Clockwork Wrote:  I did ask a clergyman about the Unforgivable Sin. Here's what he told me: it's when you know the Truth and have turned your back on it through decision or laxity.

I was always taught it was apostasy, too. Nope. The Bible says blasphemy.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-12-2014, 02:57 PM
(04-12-2014 12:04 PM)WhiskeyDebates Wrote:  
(04-12-2014 12:01 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Not one of these admittedly offensive and obnoxious "proposals" falls under the definition of blaspheming the Spirit. There has been no blaspheming the Spirit in this thread, although at other TTA threads, it sure seems so...

Also, Jesus Christ said:

"Therefore I say to you, any sin and blasphemy shall be forgiven people... Whoever speaks a word against the Son of Man, it shall be forgiven him..." - Matthew 12:31-32

You are all forgiven for what was posted on this thread. God loves you. Jesus Christ died for you, and for me. He died for our sin, He rose so that trusting Him we receive eternal life.

Your god dies not exist, you are living a lie, and when you are done wasting your life and you pass into nothingness the world won't notice and you will be forgotten.

And you know it too.

Whiskey, you are 100% correct. I have been living a lie and repent. I denounce all I formerly believed and am today an atheist. Thank you! I'm unsure if it was the logic and reasoning of your argument, the kind spirit in which it was presented, or the existential hope you offered me when you pointed out that without God, we will both pass into nothingness, utterly forgotten, that won me to the rightness of your cause, but thank you. Today, I can hold my head high to say, "I used to be a Christian, but then I realized I have no hope and will rot underground. I'm free, happy and satisfied! Hallelujah!"

Wait! Scratch that last. Change Hallelujah to Awesome.

Thanks again for caring enough to engage me respectfully in artful arguments about truth and the nature of reality.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like The Q Continuum's post
04-12-2014, 02:59 PM
All,

I hope you enjoyed reading my reply to Whiskey as much I enjoyed writing it. I didn't wish to sound insincere or sarcastic, but the Q insisted!

Regardless, none of you have blasphemed yet on this thread. I don't want to say "Keep trying," and certainly don't want you to incur the awful consequences if you do blaspheme, but... can I at least say godspeed?

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
[+] 1 user Likes The Q Continuum's post
04-12-2014, 03:06 PM
(04-12-2014 12:01 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Not one of these admittedly offensive and obnoxious "proposals" falls under the definition of blaspheming the Spirit.
Whose definition is that? Yours? It certainly isn't the Bible's definition because it has none. I've done some research on this and professional Christian scholars can't seem to agree with each other on what exactly this "unforgivable sin" constitutes. Do you claim to know better than them? Consider

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 4 users Like Vosur's post
04-12-2014, 03:09 PM
I've heard it said that since 1) Jesus will forgive any sin for which you ask forgiveness, and 2) the unforgivable sin is blasphemy against the holy spook, then blasphemy must be the sin for which you refuse to ask forgiveness. I guess that means everything I do is blasphemy.

Celebrate Reason ● Think For Yourself
www.theHeathensGuide.com
[Image: heathens-guide.png]
[+] 1 user Likes JonDarbyXIII's post
04-12-2014, 03:29 PM
(04-12-2014 02:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  All,

I hope you enjoyed reading my reply to Whiskey as much I enjoyed writing it. I didn't wish to sound insincere or sarcastic, but the Q insisted!

Regardless, none of you have blasphemed yet on this thread. I don't want to say "Keep trying," and certainly don't want you to incur the awful consequences if you do blaspheme, but... can I at least say godspeed?

Define blasphemy then. (Vosur has already stated the problem but I do wanna know.)

Also: Wouldn't godspeed be redonkulously slow? If god is everywhere, in everything and has no orientable mass then god can't move.

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
04-12-2014, 03:37 PM
(04-12-2014 02:59 PM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  ...
but the Q insisted!

Regardless, none of you have blasphemed yet on this thread.

Interesting. Consider

@DonaldTrump, Patriotism is not honoring your flag no matter what your country/leader does. It's doing whatever it takes to make your country the best it can be as long as its not violent.
04-12-2014, 03:41 PM
Here's a spirit I find very nearly holy:

[Image: balvenie-double-wood.jpg]
[+] 4 users Like Mr. Boston's post
04-12-2014, 03:47 PM
[Image: WA_blasphemy.jpg]

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 14 users Like Nurse's post