The Blues Thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-12-2013, 07:44 PM (This post was last modified: 24-12-2013 07:49 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
RE: The Blues Thread
(16-10-2013 11:46 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  

Best Tab Benoit (With the Radiators) -- "Sittin On Top of the World", N'Awlins Funked-Up version:

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
24-12-2013, 07:51 PM
...and this isn't the best version of this song, but my buddy Jerry Beach wrote the song "I'll Play The Blues For You", which Albert King made famous. Here's Jerry hosting a jam at a festival, playing that song. Will try to see if I can find or upload my favorite live version of it, it's killer.

[+] 1 user Likes Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-12-2013, 12:05 AM
Robben Ford

Bad Sign

Insane guitar work

Righteous Hammond organ backing

Yum

[+] 2 users Like Taqiyya Mockingbird's post
25-12-2013, 11:40 PM (This post was last modified: 25-12-2013 11:51 PM by Taqiyya Mockingbird.)
OK, so here's more. It's a little more jazz-ish than your usual blues piece, but this little gem is fucking brilliant, so you get to wade through it Tongue

Jimmy Honeycutt and Jerry Beach (see "I'll Play the Blues for You" above) used to own the Stage 618 Club in Shreveport La together, and played in the house band there. They also had legendary jam nights there. Think Blues jam night, but with a full-up band with piano, organ, and full horn section. And a band capable of playing ANYTHING, including jazz and New Orleans Funk. WOW.

Jimmy played sax too, and his signature song was "Harlem Nocturne", which he played on the soprano sax (which I call the "baby sax" -- the curved soprano, which sounds and plays a helluva lot better than a straight soprano, which is known in Jazz circles as the "fish horn").

Jimmy's version here, which IIRC I was present in the club to hear when this was recorded live, is the best you will hear anywhere from anyone, bar none.

Jimmy passed away a little over a year ago.

That's Jerry Beach on the guitar, and Hassel Teekel (who now plays with Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn fame, among others) on the Hammond organ. Mike Parks on bass.

12-01-2014, 05:32 PM
Taq, I've got some wading to do. Seems you've been throwing down some shit that I've missed.

Here's a little ditty I ran across today. I said goddamn that old white dude can fuck up a guitar!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
12-01-2014, 05:36 PM
(25-12-2013 11:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  OK, so here's more. It's a little more jazz-ish than your usual blues piece, but this little gem is fucking brilliant, so you get to wade through it Tongue

Jimmy Honeycutt and Jerry Beach (see "I'll Play the Blues for You" above) used to own the Stage 618 Club in Shreveport La together, and played in the house band there. They also had legendary jam nights there. Think Blues jam night, but with a full-up band with piano, organ, and full horn section. And a band capable of playing ANYTHING, including jazz and New Orleans Funk. WOW.

Jimmy played sax too, and his signature song was "Harlem Nocturne", which he played on the soprano sax (which I call the "baby sax" -- the curved soprano, which sounds and plays a helluva lot better than a straight soprano, which is known in Jazz circles as the "fish horn").

Jimmy's version here, which IIRC I was present in the club to hear when this was recorded live, is the best you will hear anywhere from anyone, bar none.

That's Jerry Beach on the guitar, and Hassel Teekel (who now plays with Kix Brooks of Brooks and Dunn fame, among others) on the Hammond organ. Mike Parks on bass.

Says vid is private, won't play. Got another link?

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-01-2014, 04:52 PM
(12-01-2014 05:36 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(25-12-2013 11:40 PM)Taqiyya Mockingbird Wrote:  OK, so here's more. It's a little more jazz-ish than your usual blues piece, but this little gem is fucking brilliant, so you get to wade through it Tongue

Says vid is private, won't play. Got another link?

Hmmm... try it again now?

13-01-2014, 04:56 PM
(19-10-2013 11:06 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  More deadman white boy blues.

Here's another one back atcha!

13-01-2014, 05:00 PM
----which reminds me --

Gregg Allman playing a great solo acoustic version of Come and Go Blues, during a break in taping a show with Dickie.

26-03-2014, 02:19 PM
If you haven't heard already, Wilko Johnson, original guitarist of Dr Feelgood has been diagnosed with terminal cancer and has probably only a few months to live. He's not having any treatment.

But, he's taken the news well and immediately got out on the road for a farewell tour.

Now he's recorded a final album with The Who's Roger Daltrey, called 'Going Back Home'... Its out now in the UK and possibly in the US (if not, it soon will be).

Its classic British Rhythm and Blues at its best, and well worth getting.

Here is one track...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Sam's post