The Book Evolution's Achilles' Heels

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 07:21 AM
The Book Evolution's Achilles' Heels
Well I was given this book to read by a theist who has little science but he has taken on-board what is stated in the book, the problem with secular science!

Its from the Creation Book Publishers. Evolution's Achilles' Heels.
It has 9 Ph.D's who have contributed to the book. Now my problem is simple.
I can do the chem and some of the biology! That is my place of work shall we say!
However, the problem I have is showing this lad the true answers without getting to heavy on the science.

This book is well written if you have little science to fall back on!

It has Dr.David Catchpoole.Phd in Plant Physioloyy and Dr Mark Harwood who was part of the Australia's national satellite system. They are covering Ethics and Morality. Now I would have liked an ethicist and a philosopher to cover this but no we have a plant and radio man!

So, has anyone else come across this book and do you have simple reference I can use against it! I am working on the Radio metric dating but its a bit complicated! I am not a physicist!!

Any help would be appreciated! And if its made simple for a lad with only school science to help him!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

P.S.
I will be going in to blackout mode soon! A holiday without internet or any other digital distractions. So I may not get back to you as soon I would like!

Thanks again! K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-08-2014, 07:25 AM
RE: The Book Evolution's Achilles' Heels
Have you heard of Project Steve?

http://ncse.com/taking-action/project-steve

NCSE's "Project Steve" is a tongue-in-cheek parody of a long-standing creationist tradition of amassing lists of "scientists who doubt evolution" or "scientists who dissent from Darwinism."

Creationists draw up these lists to try to convince the public that evolution is somehow being rejected by scientists, that it is a "theory in crisis." Not everyone realizes that this claim is unfounded. NCSE has been asked numerous times to compile a list of thousands of scientists affirming the validity of the theory of evolution. Although we easily could have done so, we have resisted. We did not wish to mislead the public into thinking that scientific issues are decided by who has the longer list of scientists!

Project Steve pokes fun at this practice and, because "Steves" are only about 1% of scientists, it also makes the point that tens of thousands of scientists support evolution. And it honors the late Stephen Jay Gould, evolutionary biologist, NCSE supporter, and friend.

We'd like to think that after Project Steve, we'll have seen the last of bogus "scientists doubting evolution" lists, but it's probably too much to ask. We hope that when such lists are proposed, reporters and other citizens will ask, "How many Steves are on your list!?"

The statement:

Evolution is a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences, and the scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that all living things share a common ancestry. Although there are legitimate debates about the patterns and processes of evolution, there is no serious scientific doubt that evolution occurred or that natural selection is a major mechanism in its occurrence. It is scientifically inappropriate and pedagogically irresponsible for creationist pseudoscience, including but not limited to "intelligent design," to be introduced into the science curricula of our nation's public schools.

Current Steve Count as of August 15th, 2014?

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
20-08-2014, 02:24 AM
The statement:

Evolution is a vital, well-supported, unifying principle of the biological sciences, and the scientific evidence is overwhelmingly in favor of the idea that all living things share a common ancestry. Although there are legitimate debates about the patterns and processes of evolution, there is no serious scientific doubt that evolution occurred or that natural selection is a major mechanism in its occurrence. It is scientifically inappropriate and pedagogically irresponsible for creationist pseudoscience, including but not limited to "intelligent design," to be introduced into the science curricula of our nation's public schools.

Current Steve Count as of August 15th, 2014?
[/quote]

Thanks for that! I have found a statement used by the Creation .com and I intent to have it in my chat with this lad.

In there "statement of faith" (D) GENERAL 6. Facts are always subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information. By definition, therefore, no interpretation of facts in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record.

So no matter what I bring to the table now or in the days or years to come they have made up there mind to reject it out right with out looking at it!!

And it boggles my mind that they see this as a good thing!!

Thanks for your interest!

K:

Arguing with a zealot is only slightly easier than tunneling through a mountain with your forehead!
20-08-2014, 05:09 AM
(20-08-2014 02:24 AM)JONES Wrote:  (D) GENERAL 6. Facts are always The Bible is subject to interpretation by fallible people who do not possess all information. By definition, therefore, no interpretation of facts the Bible in any field, including history and chronology, can be valid if it contradicts the scriptural record Science.

Fixed...

Amazing how close they are to the truth, yet so far from it as well.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 2 users Like TheInquisition's post
20-08-2014, 05:24 AM (This post was last modified: 20-08-2014 06:01 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(19-08-2014 07:21 AM)JONES Wrote:  Well I was given this book to read by a theist who has little science but he has taken on-board what is stated in the book, the problem with secular science!

Its from the Creation Book Publishers. Evolution's Achilles' Heels.
It has 9 Ph.D's who have contributed to the book. Now my problem is simple.
I can do the chem and some of the biology! That is my place of work shall we say!
However, the problem I have is showing this lad the true answers without getting to heavy on the science.

This book is well written if you have little science to fall back on!

It has Dr.David Catchpoole.Phd in Plant Physioloyy and Dr Mark Harwood who was part of the Australia's national satellite system. They are covering Ethics and Morality. Now I would have liked an ethicist and a philosopher to cover this but no we have a plant and radio man!

So, has anyone else come across this book and do you have simple reference I can use against it! I am working on the Radio metric dating but its a bit complicated! I am not a physicist!!

Any help would be appreciated! And if its made simple for a lad with only school science to help him!

Thank you for taking the time to read this!

P.S.
I will be going in to blackout mode soon! A holiday without internet or any other digital distractions. So I may not get back to you as soon I would like!

Thanks again! K:

Mark Harwood ? Hahaha. His PhD is in what ? He's not qualified to say anything about Evolution. UNLESS the degree is actually in Genetics or a closely related field in Biology, the PhD cannot be used as support of anything. Doing so is an example of the fallacy known by the fancy Latin name, "Argumentum ad Vericundiam", or the "argument from authority", (ie a field in which they are NOT an authority). It's a frequent trick of theists. http://philosophy.lander.edu/logic/authority.html
EVERY major academic center in the entire world teaches Evolution. Every one. Period. There is no evidence against it. Finding a few nut-jobs who are on the fringe,refutes nothing.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 5 users Like Bucky Ball's post
14-09-2014, 09:33 AM
Thanks Buckley
I find your post script more helpful. Thanks for your input
K:.

14-09-2014, 10:28 AM
For a basic idea of how evolution works, tell the lad about ring species. One population of a single species with half traveling southeast of a mountain range and the other half moving southwest. Each generation can mate with previous generations within their populations on either side of the mountain range. After several hundred generations or less the two populations meet at the southern end of the mountain range to find that the southeastern population could not mate with the southwestern population. They had become separate species.

This is well documented and shows in a simplified method how evolution works

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
[+] 3 users Like Rahn127's post