The Book Of Mormon

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2012, 08:42 PM
The Book Of Mormon
I have got to see this musical!

Andrew Rannell performs 'I Believe' during the Tony Awards

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
23-05-2012, 08:44 PM
RE: The Book Of Mormon
I would plan an NY trip just to see this. Wish it was on the road.

Your beliefs do not make you a better person, your behavior does.
23-05-2012, 09:00 PM (This post was last modified: 24-05-2012 05:50 AM by Bucky Ball.)
(23-05-2012 08:44 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I would plan an NY trip just to see this. Wish it was on the road.

I would like to see it in Salt Lake. Weeping

Actually, while I'm thinking of this, since many of these threads end up with visitors/guests from the web,
I may as well add my academic two cents re why this cult is non-christian.

The question of making the judgement about whether or not a group stands inside or outside the Judeo-Christian tradition is not so much about whether they accept this or that, or believe this or that, however nutty it is, as it is about the PROCESS involved. Judeo-Christianities DEVELOPED from long and complex culturally based process, always associated with communities of worshipers, which were the ultimate arbiters, (by inclusion, or not, into their liturgical celebrations), of the texts which they accepted as the authentic experiences of those communities, (and those that were found wanting were considered "heretical" and simply not used in the celebrations), (and thus were left out, eventually, from their canon), and NEVER from one guy who found some "oh so conveniently", (when asked to produce them "I can't find them") gold tablets in his back yard. The problem with the group in question, is that it was concocted by one totally uneducated man, and not an organic evolution from a community. The PROCESS is flawed, and in no way even remotely resembles the way any other mainline version of Xtianity was formed, and thus has to be judged to be "unbiblical" and "unchristian" in a simply historical sense. For one man, in his cultural (and educational) vacuum, to stand up and make up things and declare them as authentic is not consistent with the known and accepted Judeo-Christian community's validation process, and it's one of the reasons he got so far off the mark. He seemed to be unaware of this actual process, even though some of the centers of biblical form and literary criticism, (especially in Austria-Germany (ie Tubingen University)) HAD begun to be aware of the historical, (archeologically validated) processes, at that time, (and eventually at Harvard and Yale and Princeton, and I'm sure other places I don't know about), by the time Smith was doing his thing. So saying it's "unchristian" isn't really bigotry, or intollerance. It's just correct, historically.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

24-05-2012, 12:40 AM
I'd love to see it too - I hear the tunes are quite catchy. Shy

I adore Trey Parker and Matt Stone. I've never gotten that Team America theme song out of my head:

"America; Fuck Yeah!" Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
24-05-2012, 01:00 AM
The BOM National Tour begins in August. Here's the U.S. schedule:

http://www.bookofmormonbroadway.com/tour_page.php

I'm planning to see it in Los Angeles with a bunch of friends. Tickets go on pre-sale May 30; we're going to jump on it, since the show is likely to sell out quickly.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
24-05-2012, 01:30 AM
You lucky bastards. You lucky, lucky bastards. I can only wish for that show to come somewhere near me...

Sad

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
24-05-2012, 02:29 AM
OMG....I hope someday it will have international tour to Taiwan...
There r so many mormon cultists in Taiwan.

Life is too important to be taken seriously.
- Oscar Wilde
08-06-2013, 01:00 AM
No way in hell the powers that be will allow this in salt lake ! Lmao
08-06-2013, 05:36 AM
(23-05-2012 08:44 PM)Debzilla Wrote:  I would plan an NY trip just to see this. Wish it was on the road.

It is. It's supposed to be in Cincinnati in early 2014. I'm already making plans to go see it.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2013, 11:16 AM
Friends of ours were taking a cruise somewhere can't recall, but their trip included a two night stay in NYC where they could see a broadway show. Guess they hemmed and hawed about wt they wanted to see. All the "good" musicals were taken. So they went to see that.

Did I mention they were Mormon?

Or more accurately they walked in Mormons and walked out deconverted from their faith...

They're not atheists...yet...

[Image: mrhanky.jpg]

Wind's in the east, a mist coming in
Like something is brewing and about to begin
Can't put my finger on what lies in store
but I feel what's to happen has happened before...

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post