The Book of Genesis is a practical joke?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2012, 05:27 PM
The Book of Genesis is a practical joke?
No, I don't have any historical evidence for this to back it up and it does make several assumptions.

1) There is a real God
2) This same real God inspired someone to put pen to papyrus and write down the tale if Genesis.

Assuming those two statements are true, and that's a BIG if, why would this same God inspire a work that has absolutely no empirical evidence to back it up?

Answer: Assholes like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

Seriously, it makes sense. Think about it. If I'm God and I have some malleable tool on the hook like those two, why not have a little fun with them? After all, they're already gullible enough to demand that someone be stoned for eating shellfish, why not string 'em along a little? I'll tell 'em I made the universe in six earth days, then rested on the seventh - that's why we have a week. They still believe it? Ok, next I made humans, either both together or made woman from the man's rib - I really haven't decided yet - from a pile of dirt, kind of like a 6 year old playing in a sandbox. They're still here? Well next, a talking snake duped the woman into eating fruit from an enchanted tree, which made them evil and realized they were nude and ashamed. This also caused them to die, but it took over 900 years to accomplish this - Anyway I threw them out of my private garden for this and made the woman menstrate as punishment. At this point Robertson and Falwell have GOT to realize I'm fucking with them!

THEY'RE STILL BELIEVEING THIS PILE OF CRAP, THESE SCHMUCKS????

Allllrighty then, so next humans became more and more wicked, so I decided to wipe them out with a flood, but don't worry, there was one 500 year old man and family that found favor with me, so I told him he could save himself with a 500ft long floating zoo and put all 10,000,000,000 species of land animals on it, seal them in and flood the world. They survive and carry on the human race. If the fundies believe that, I'll then tell them that people speak different languages because a group of Mesopotamians built a giant tower to heaven and angered me with their arrogance.

Come to think of it, you could view the ENTIRE Bible as a practical joke!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-03-2012, 08:47 PM (This post was last modified: 31-03-2012 01:18 PM by Bucky Ball.)
RE: The Book of Genesis is a practical joke?
(30-03-2012 05:27 PM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  No, I don't have any historical evidence for this to back it up and it does make several assumptions.

1) There is a real God
2) This same real God inspired someone to put pen to papyrus and write down the tale if Genesis.

Assuming those two statements are true, and that's a BIG if, why would this same God inspire a work that has absolutely no empirical evidence to back it up?

Answer: Assholes like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson.

Seriously, it makes sense. Think about it. If I'm God and I have some malleable tool on the hook like those two, why not have a little fun with them? After all, they're already gullible enough to demand that someone be stoned for eating shellfish, why not string 'em along a little? I'll tell 'em I made the universe in six earth days, then rested on the seventh - that's why we have a week. They still believe it? Ok, next I made humans, either both together or made woman from the man's rib - I really haven't decided yet - from a pile of dirt, kind of like a 6 year old playing in a sandbox. They're still here? Well next, a talking snake duped the woman into eating fruit from an enchanted tree, which made them evil and realized they were nude and ashamed. This also caused them to die, but it took over 900 years to accomplish this - Anyway I threw them out of my private garden for this and made the woman menstrate as punishment. At this point Robertson and Falwell have GOT to realize I'm fucking with them!

THEY'RE STILL BELIEVEING THIS PILE OF CRAP, THESE SCHMUCKS????

Allllrighty then, so next humans became more and more wicked, so I decided to wipe them out with a flood, but don't worry, there was one 500 year old man and family that found favor with me, so I told him he could save himself with a 500ft long floating zoo and put all 10,000,000,000 species of land animals on it, seal them in and flood the world. They survive and carry on the human race. If the fundies believe that, I'll then tell them that people speak different languages because a group of Mesopotamians built a giant tower to heaven and angered me with their arrogance.

Come to think of it, you could view the ENTIRE Bible as a practical joke!

Carlo, you're makin a few assumptions there that may not be the most accurate way to look at that question.

1. Here's a reference re : the Lord of hosts, also known as the god of the armies, (Yahweh Sabaoth) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MlnnWbkMlbg , is a little simplistic, as he never really explains what he's talking about in terms of the source documents, P, E, D, and Y, (and leaves out the K source..thought to be an unknown woman editor), even though the source documents are well known, and agreed upon.

2. As far as the "pen to paper" idea...first there were many sources, all oral for hundreds of years, then written, then edited, and re-edited, written, and re-written. In the Ancient Near East, there was no concept of "empirical evidence". That's a modern concept/idea. It never crossed their minds. The scientific method was unknown until relatively recently. One can't read ancient literature with a modern worldview, and expect to understand it. The closest we can come, (IMHO), is what we call "wisdom literature", or mythology, (in the non-pejorative sense). Actually, if you read it as ancient desert wisdom literature, it's not so bad. If you read it as science, it's totally ridiculous, (but it was never intended as that). For US to say it's bad cuz it's NOT scientifically accurate, is the same thing as Robertson/Fallwell saying it is . That completely misses the point. It was never intended as that. As for the talking snake thing goes .. the reason many people have that view of that myth, is because religionists have presented it in such childish terms. If you read the Jewish philosophers, (such as Martin Buber), you get a glimpse of a totally different level of the myth. Robertson and his cronies do themselves no favors, saying it was meant literally. They miss the point. It's a culturally based set of texts, and can't be taken out of their cultural context. Tongue

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist and Levitating yogi, CAAT-LY.
Yeah, for verily I say unto thee, and this we know : Jebus no likey that which doth tickle thee unto thy nether regions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply