The Book of Life (God's Big Book of Names)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-01-2013, 10:02 AM
RE: The Book of Life (God's Big Book of Names)
(17-01-2013 08:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I just said most Christians don't believe in a literal book.
How do you know what most Christians do or don't believe? Consider

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
17-01-2013, 10:20 AM
(17-01-2013 10:02 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(17-01-2013 08:56 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I just said most Christians don't believe in a literal book.
How do you know what most Christians do or don't believe? Consider
Because I live among the most fundamental Christians and they don't believe that.

But, you're right. That's a generalization that I can't support.

I should clarify it as "most Christians that I'm around".

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
17-01-2013, 10:55 AM
(17-01-2013 10:20 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  Because I live among the most fundamental Christians and they don't believe that.

But, you're right. That's a generalization that I can't support.

I should clarify it as "most Christians that I'm around".
Aye, that's much better. That way you reduce the number of people you are talking about by over two billion.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
18-01-2013, 11:10 AM
I guess the "book of life" isn't quite as ridiculous as Jack Chick's giant movie screen.
http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0001/0001_01.asp

After everyone is dead everything you ever did is going to be replayed on a giant screen in front of everyone who ever lived. After only the first million years of that boring film festival, even the saved would feel like they were in hell. After a trillion years of that, being thrown into the lake of fire would be a relief.
[+] 1 user Likes FlyingPizzaMonster's post
19-01-2013, 08:54 AM
Whether or not it's an actual book, the end result is the same: according to christians, you're going to heaven or you're on the elevator down for eternal burning. This is a belief common to all Christian denominations that I know of. Book or not, hell is a scare tactic and telling children that if they don't swallow the unseen and unprovable bs, they're gonna burn forever with no parole is just wrong no matter how you slice it.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 2 users Like cjs's post
19-01-2013, 09:24 AM
I guess my mind never wandered around to this question because, to a guy named "Supernova", it's not likely to be a problem in any case.

I like the thought, Buddy Christ. It's an interesting one to ponder. If we take it as metaphor, as KingsChosen suggested, then why bother mentioning it at all? An omniscient God does not need to "take notes" to remind himself later about who did what and when. The suggestion that he would just makes God look less-than-omniscient. It could have just as easily been said that God recalls one's actions and destination from memory.

This is one of the main problems with defining everything that doesn't make sense as "metaphor"; one must consider whether such a metaphor is useful or practical. There are many, many fundamentalists who have been led to believe that it's a literal "book" of life because it isn't spoken of in parable or marked as a metaphor in any manner, but instead left to be believed as literal until understood that it can't be. How does one separate the literal from the metaphor? I'm sure you've heard it before, KC, but you moderates who make things into metaphor only do this with passages that are impossible or illogical... that is, you come to the conclusion first and then fit the facts to it.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
19-01-2013, 10:47 AM
(19-01-2013 08:54 AM)cjs Wrote:  Whether or not it's an actual book, the end result is the same: according to christians, you're going to heaven or you're on the elevator down for eternal burning. This is a belief common to all Christian denominations that I know of. Book or not, hell is a scare tactic and telling children that if they don't swallow the unseen and unprovable bs, they're gonna burn forever with no parole is just wrong no matter how you slice it.
"scare tactic" is an interesting way to put it. Fear is healthy and rational, it warns of imminent danger. Hell is something to be feared but it comes with a way it can be avoided. It's far preferable than the cold emptiness of Atheist beliefs.

Check out my YouTube channel for more videos and information Smile

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQ5PX9Y...1uwXxWwQ6w
19-01-2013, 11:12 AM
(19-01-2013 10:47 AM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  
(19-01-2013 08:54 AM)cjs Wrote:  Whether or not it's an actual book, the end result is the same: according to christians, you're going to heaven or you're on the elevator down for eternal burning. This is a belief common to all Christian denominations that I know of. Book or not, hell is a scare tactic and telling children that if they don't swallow the unseen and unprovable bs, they're gonna burn forever with no parole is just wrong no matter how you slice it.
"scare tactic" is an interesting way to put it. Fear is healthy and rational, it warns of imminent danger. Hell is something to be feared but it comes with a way it can be avoided. It's far preferable than the cold emptiness of Atheist beliefs.

You're assuming hell is real. I do not agree.

You may find the hell deal better than atheist beliefs or lack thereof, but I'd rather have no belief than the idea of eternal burn with no chance of parole for not toeing the christian line. You're free to believe in unprovable nonsense, but your a priori assumption that hell is real is illogical and the burden of any proof is not on the atheist. You also assume that atheism is cold emptiness. I'm glad you find eternal torture for people who can't believe what you do preferable to the "cold emptiness of atheist belief" but I do not (I disagree that atheism is cold and empty also, a matter of opinion). You advocate eternal torture for nonbelievers, even if they lived good lives. Sounds pretty evil and sick to me.
[+] 3 users Like cjs's post
19-01-2013, 11:25 AM
(19-01-2013 10:47 AM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  

Ahh, fear. Evolutions ingrained trouble radar.

It's true, I cannot argue, fear is a completely rational and healthy emotion and reaction. But there comes a point when fear is not necessary. If one fears a fairy tale, they are not being rational or healthy, and that is exactly what the fear of hell is, my friend; Fear of a fairy tale.

Suffice to say, hell is not something to be feared, but mocked, good sir. We'll be dead, all our neurological activity ceased, we cannot feel pain any more, there are no receptors to do so with, no neurotransmitters moving around either.

What's the worst Hell can do? Scorch my not-skin?

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
19-01-2013, 01:23 PM
(19-01-2013 10:47 AM)AtheismExposed Wrote:  "scare tactic" is an interesting way to put it. Fear is healthy and rational, it warns of imminent danger. Hell is something to be feared but it comes with a way it can be avoided. It's far preferable than the cold emptiness of Atheist beliefs.

Fear of non-existent dangers is not "healthy and rational", but rather fits the definition of paranoia. Why do I claim it's non-existent? I'm skeptical of unproven things, and hell is unproven (just as the Muslim idea of hell is)... and the fact that a holy book describes it as real doesn't make it true (just as the Qur'an doesn't prove that the existence of their version of hell).

Secondly, perhaps you ought to listen to atheists on the idea of "the cold emptiness" of our beliefs. We're probably a bit more "expert" on it than you are, since it doesn't sound as though you hold those beliefs. But even if we granted this cold emptiness as true, it's not relevant -- it would simply make belief in God preferable, not true. Some of us would rather believe the truth than comforting lies. I could, after all, convince myself that I'm world-famous and wealthy, but even though such a lie would make me happy, it's not preferable to the truth.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Starcrash's post