The Box

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-06-2011, 11:15 AM
RE: The Box
(05-06-2011 10:00 PM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 07:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I thought this thread was going to be about the Matheson short story. Which is excellent by the way and is nothing like the movie. And to the question I thought you were going to ask... I would push the button, wouldn't be able to help myself.
To the question you actually asked. I only enjoy stories like the one in which you told in the same way I enjoy red riding hood and three pigs. Fables that attempt to give me a lesson but fail, only to be remembered as a poorly written tale meant o sway the votes of children. Entertaining like Die Hard only not nearly as bad ass.Cool

Could you please link the story ... you made me curios.

I can't find a link for it online other than the wikipedia page unfortunately, however I have the collection of short stories it's in if you want to come by and borrow itSad

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-06-2011, 12:14 PM (This post was last modified: 06-06-2011 12:17 PM by Thammuz.)
Heard a similar story during the wedding of my sister-in-law... in church:
It goes something along these lines:

A couple wanted to get married. The priest agreed, did the entire ceremony, blabla.
Then he gave the young couple a beautiful, precious box, but told them to never open it, EVER!

They built their home, got children, were happy and all. The box remained hidden in the attic and neither one of them opened it. But after 10 years, they were really curious. They couldn't hold it out any longer and decided to open it. When they opened it a turtle dove flew out and escaped through the window. It was their bond of happiness that got away. Never again in their relationship would they be happy again, because they wanted to find out the source of their happiness...

Now, is this just stupid or do I miss some really deep point here? I forgot my bullshit protector at home that day, so I'm not quite sure Tongue

In case you're wondering, they look like this

[Image: bsp2.jpg]

"Infinitus est numerus stultorum." (The number of fools is infinite)
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Thammuz's post
09-06-2011, 06:11 AM
(06-06-2011 11:15 AM)lucradis Wrote:  
(04-06-2011 07:51 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I thought this thread was going to be about the Matheson short story. Which is excellent by the way and is nothing like the movie. And to the question I thought you were going to ask... I would push the button, wouldn't be able to help myself.
To the question you actually asked. I only enjoy stories like the one in which you told in the same way I enjoy red riding hood and three pigs. Fables that attempt to give me a lesson but fail, only to be remembered as a poorly written tale meant o sway the votes of children. Entertaining like Die Hard only not nearly as bad ass.Cool

I can't find a link for it online other than the wikipedia page unfortunately, however I have the collection of short stories it's in if you want to come by and borrow itSad
Uhm - if you live in the Us that would be a hell of a trip from EU just to borrow a book Big Grin

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
09-06-2011, 10:23 AM
(09-06-2011 06:11 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  

Uhm - if you live in the Us that would be a hell of a trip from EU just to borrow a book Big Grin

Well it's your lucky day then isn't it, because I don't live in the US, no I live in Canada so come on over.Shy

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-06-2011, 12:25 PM
(09-06-2011 10:23 AM)lucradis Wrote:  
(09-06-2011 06:11 AM)gaglamesh731 Wrote:  

Well it's your lucky day then isn't it, because I don't live in the US, no I live in Canada so come on over.Shy

LOL - same length of a trip. I think it's like a 10 hour flight. Maybe one day when I feel up to it. Lots of you cannucks are atheists - you must have better schools Wink

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin