The Bullshit of Barrel Bombs

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 07:17 AM
The Bullshit of Barrel Bombs
Everytime I hear someone in the media going batshit about somebody -- who always turns out to be an enemy of the "good guys" --- dropping "Barrel Bombs" on someone -- I have to wonder ----

Why are they making such a distinction about the bomb's construction???

When you get killed by a bomb that was knocked together in the motor pool parking lot -- do you feel cheated??? Are you pissed that you didn't get killed by a "real bomb" that was made in a ordinance mass production station?? Does your death feel cheapened by being killed by a $200 bomb rather than a $10,000 bomb??

And don't try justifying this nonsense by saying "But barrel bombs are UNGUIDED!!!"....

Yeah??? So fucking what???? 99% of all bombs dropped are unguided.. They've usually got drogue fines on them, just to improve the performance of the bomb's penetration and/or altimeter detonation. The bomb still falls, where ever it falls. It's not a precision instrument.

No -- the real reason they want to vilify this method of destruction --- is it's being done by "the other guy"......

It's just more Orwellian doublespeak - to make you feel good about how YOUR country wages war.....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-10-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: The Bullshit of Barrel Bombs
To the best of my knowledge, barrel bombs are being used by Syrian government forces in the civil war.

The only outrage I have heard about barrel bombs is the way they are used. Assad's troops fly over population centers and drop them indiscriminately.

It's one thing to have collateral damage. For example when a smart bomb destroys a targeted building and nearby buildings are also destroyed. In this case you are aiming at a specific target of military value. Attempts are made to minimize civilian casualties but they will often be unavoidable.

It's entirely different to fly helicopters over cities and drop bombs on civilians. On civilians of your own country. That's beyond fucked up.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-10-2016, 08:01 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2016 09:23 AM by Gloucester.)
I will agree with FBH, the fact that these are used mainly by helicopters on civilian targets is the main point.

They got the catchy name early on to explain exactly what they are, explosives in beer barrels, the media love catchy names so it stuck.

Otherwise yes, shit is shit regardless of who is throwing it or its shade of browm.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
[+] 1 user Likes Gloucester's post
26-10-2016, 08:20 AM
(26-10-2016 07:51 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  To the best of my knowledge, barrel bombs are being used by Syrian government forces in the civil war.

The only outrage I have heard about barrel bombs is the way they are used. Assad's troops fly over population centers and drop them indiscriminately.

It's one thing to have collateral damage. For example when a smart bomb destroys a targeted building and nearby buildings are also destroyed. In this case you are aiming at a specific target of military value. Attempts are made to minimize civilian casualties but they will often be unavoidable.

It's entirely different to fly helicopters over cities and drop bombs on civilians. On civilians of your own country. That's beyond fucked up.

I guess you never heard of Dresden????

And why is it different when being dropped from a helicopter???

It's not... It's all just killing people...

We just want to pretend that we do it the "right" way....

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
26-10-2016, 08:26 AM
(26-10-2016 08:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 07:51 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  To the best of my knowledge, barrel bombs are being used by Syrian government forces in the civil war.

I guess you never heard of Dresden????

And why is it different when being dropped from a helicopter???

It's not... It's all just killing people...

We just want to pretend that we do it the "right" way....

"It's not lying, it's just bullshit."
--one of the Blues Brothers

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
26-10-2016, 08:58 AM
(26-10-2016 08:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I guess you never heard of Dresden????

Actually I have. If you would read my post, I noted that Assad is bombing HIS OWN FUCKING PEOPLE.
(Catch it that time?)

Dresden was a questionable wartime action that I do not agree with. Note the key point that DRESDEN WAS BOMBED BY THE ENEMY.
The US and Allied forces firebombed an Axis (i.e. enemy) city.

Personally, I would have used the bombings on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, but Dresden works I suppose.

(26-10-2016 08:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  And why is it different when being dropped from a helicopter???

It's called accurately stating the facts. The bastard in question is using bombs made from barrels and dropping them from helicopters.

If you like, I could make shit up but I'd rather state the facts.

You tell me why it matters what delivery system is used. Nobody is bitching about the helicopters. They're bitching about the dead civilians.

(26-10-2016 08:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  We just want to pretend that we do it the "right" way....

I am not a fan of our drone operations, specifically because of the civilian death toll.

Us:
The US uses an Apache HELICOPTER to fire a missile at an ISIS building. The missile takes out the target and a nearby building killing civilians.

Them:
Assad's forces use a Hind HELICOPTER to drop barrel bombs across the city of Aleppo. The city is controlled by rebels, but no effort is made to target military forces. Instead the bombs are dropped in civilian areas.

Yeah, I do see a difference.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
26-10-2016, 09:30 AM
I could add that, for the West at least, the new fashion trend in warfare is to minimise civilian casualties.

The Assad regime has proven that it has no such compunction in trying to reduce the rebel side. Very much like Daesh and other Muslim forces, no such thing as "collateral damage", all are guilty for simply not being on Assad's side. No neutrals allowed.

Russia just wants a foothold in the Med, they will do whatever it takes.

Tomorrow is precious, don't ruin it by fouling up today.
26-10-2016, 11:40 AM
[Image: Barrel_Bombing_Infographic.jpg]

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
26-10-2016, 02:39 PM
My understanding of the matter is that barrel bombs are not simply explosives packed into a barrel. That would be one thing.

The construction typically involves a smaller amount of explosives and a large volume of scrap metal destined to become high-velocity shrapnel. They are built to be anti-personelle weapons, then they are dropped on civilian targets and then 20 minutes later the same bastards fly back in and drop another one in Assad's signature "double tap" to kill as many rescuers as possible.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
26-10-2016, 04:00 PM
(26-10-2016 08:58 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(26-10-2016 08:20 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I guess you never heard of Dresden????

Actually I have. If you would read my post, I noted that Assad is bombing HIS OWN FUCKING PEOPLE.
(Catch it that time?)

Dresden was a legitimate military target. Too bad for the civilians.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user