The Burden of Proof

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2015, 06:33 AM
The Burden of Proof
[Image: b309817b9804fcb67bdcaf1a846ee41b.jpg]

I'm still waiting on this "abundant and compelling" evidence. Drinking Beverage my coffee is getting cold

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2015, 06:36 AM
RE: The Burden of Proof
(20-10-2015 05:50 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Theists hide behind the claim that their God can't be disproved, but they make claims about the nature of the universe which can be shown to be false.

I don't hide behind that. In fact when affirming that god exist in and argument with someone disputing that, the burden of proof in on me.

And as much as TheBeardedGuy thinks I shifted the burden of proof on to him, it's not really true, TheBeardedGuy in essence aims to always be in the role of the disputing party, the one that doesn't have a burden of proof.

He wants to play a particular game in which I'm in the role of the affirming party, and he's in the role of the disputing party, but it's just not an interesting game to play for me.

I like the game in which both sides have competing affirming claims, and both sides get to dispute each other's competing claims. A game in which both sides have a burden of proof. But that's not the game TBD is interested in.

We both have two separate games going on in the schoolyard, he doesn't want to participate in my game, and I don't want to participate in his.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-10-2015, 06:37 AM
The Burden of Proof
(21-10-2015 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(20-10-2015 05:50 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Theists hide behind the claim that their God can't be disproved, but they make claims about the nature of the universe which can be shown to be false.

I don't hide behind that. In fact when affirming that god exist in and argument with someone disputing that, the burden of proof in on me.

And as much as TheBeardedGuy thinks I shifted the burden of proof on to him, it's not really true, TheBeardedGuy in essence aims to always be in the role of the disputing party, the one that doesn't have a burden of proof.

He wants to play a particular game in which I'm in the role of the affirming party, and he's in the role of the disputing party, but it's just not an interesting game to play for me.

I like the game in which both sides have competing affirming claims, and both sides get to dispute each other's competing claims. A game in which both sides have a burden of proof. But that's not the game TBD is interested in.

We both have two separate games going on in the schoolyard, he doesn't want to participate in my game, and I don't want to participate in his.

More blatant dishonesty.

Still waiting.

-Rick
21-10-2015, 06:38 AM
(21-10-2015 06:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  More blatant dishonesty.

Still waiting.

It's not true that you want to be in the role of the disputing party, while I'm in the role of the affirming party?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
21-10-2015, 06:40 AM
The Burden of Proof
(21-10-2015 06:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 06:37 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  More blatant dishonesty.

Still waiting.

It's not true that you want to be in the role of the disputing party, while I'm in the role of the affirming party?

More red herring

Still waiting

-Rick
21-10-2015, 06:48 AM
(21-10-2015 06:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 06:38 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's not true that you want to be in the role of the disputing party, while I'm in the role of the affirming party?

More red herring

Still waiting

Waiting for me to play a game in which I play the role of the affirming party, while you play the role of the disputing party?

You'll be waiting a very long time, because it's not gonna happen.

I only participate in the game in which there are two competing affirming parties, disputing each other's claims. You don't want to play this game, and I don't want to play yours.

21-10-2015, 06:50 AM
(21-10-2015 06:48 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 06:40 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  More red herring

Still waiting

Waiting for me to play a game in which I play the role of the affirming party, while you play the role of the disputing party?

You'll be waiting a very long time, because it's not gonna happen.

I only participate in the game in which there are two competing affirming parties, disputing each other's claims. You don't want to play this game, and I don't want to play yours.

And there you have it folks, more lying from generic theist #2,097,864.

Step 1) Make bullshit claim
Step 2) Bullshit while being called out on claim
Step 3) ???
Step 4) Walk away like you're victorious

Fucking pigeon chess Drinking Beverage

And you don't even have the common decency to admit you were wrong and lying. Like I said, typical dishonest theist.

-Rick
21-10-2015, 06:51 AM
(21-10-2015 06:36 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

Is theism falsifiable then?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 1 user Likes true scotsman's post
21-10-2015, 06:56 AM
(21-10-2015 06:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you don't even have the common decency to admit you were wrong and lying. Like I said, typical dishonest theist.

When it comes to the burden of proof, it appears we agree on that, that it falls on the affirming part, not on the disputing party.

Where we disagree, and what you've done a poor job of supporting, is that claims like Harry Potter is fictional are not affirmative claims.

In fact you argument in regards to a fictional Harry Potter claim, is that there can be no evidence in support of it, which doesn't particularly negate it from being an affirmative claim.

21-10-2015, 06:59 AM
(21-10-2015 06:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(21-10-2015 06:50 AM)TheBeardedDude Wrote:  And you don't even have the common decency to admit you were wrong and lying. Like I said, typical dishonest theist.

When it comes to the burden of proof, it appears we agree on that, that it falls on the affirming part, not on the disputing party.

Where we disagree, and what you've done a poor job of supporting, is that claims like Harry Potter is fictional are not affirmative claims.

In fact you argument in regards to a fictional Harry Potter claim, is that there can be no evidence in support of it, which doesn't particularly negate it from being an affirmative claim.

"When it comes to the burden of proof, it appears we agree on that, that it falls on the affirming part, not on the disputing party."

Is this an admission that your claim of there being "abundant and compelling evidence" showing Harry Potter is fictional is flat out bullshit?

"Where we disagree, and what you've done a poor job of supporting, is that claims like Harry Potter is fictional are not affirmative claims."

And yet, you claimed to be able to provide evidence of fictionality. I believe you called the evidence "abundant and compelling." Consider

"In fact you argument in regards to a fictional Harry Potter claim, is that there can be no evidence in support of it, which doesn't particularly negate it from being an affirmative claim."

More straw man. I am still waiting on you to either 1) deliver the evidence of fictionality you claim is "abundant and compelling" or 2) admit you are full of shit Drinking Beverage I'll wait.

-Rick