The Cambrian Explosion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 04:22 AM
RE: The Cambrian Explosion
Scientists do not know how the Cambrian Explosion played out and that worries me, yet scientists not knowing how the big bang started doesn't worry me. That's weird and I can't explain it.

@ Oaktree500 - If anything it's about me wanting to believe the Cambrian Explosion can be sufficiently explained by science. I've been feeling really positive these last six weeks but right now I feel pretty low.

@ Morondog - Thanks for the reply

@ Gawdzilla - I might be grasping at straws but it's not how you think. I am trying to cling to the idea that the Cambrian Explosion is not a supernatural initiated event.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2017, 04:25 AM
(05-07-2017 04:22 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  @ Gawdzilla - I might be grasping at straws but it's not how you think. I am trying to cling to the idea that the Cambrian Explosion is not a supernatural initiated event.

There is no evidence whatsoever for Cambrian Explosion being supernatural initiated event. Also supernatural is just nonsense word.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
05-07-2017, 04:30 AM
(05-07-2017 04:22 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Scientists do not know how the Cambrian Explosion played out and that worries me, yet scientists not knowing how the big bang started doesn't worry me. That's weird and I can't explain it.

@ Oaktree500 - If anything it's about me wanting to believe the Cambrian Explosion can be sufficiently explained by science. I've been feeling really positive these last six weeks but right now I feel pretty low.

@ Morondog - Thanks for the reply

@ Gawdzilla - I might be grasping at straws but it's not how you think. I am trying to cling to the idea that the Cambrian Explosion is not a supernatural initiated event.
Yeah, right.

First off, there has never been a supernatural event, so relax.

Second, the "explosion" took hundreds of thousands of years. The new species didn't POOF into existence. Spend a few years freezing your butt off on the Burgess Shale, you'll see wonders.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
05-07-2017, 04:35 AM
Hello SeaJay! Big Grin

Thumbsup

I must admit to being a tad lost as to your concerns.

From my layman's knowledge there have been multiple extinctions....followed by the survivng life branching out to fill the ecological niches/environments left empty. Consider

I'm pretty sure, and those more knowledgeable than myself can hopefully name it/put my point right, that the ectinction event that took out the Triolobites was pretty hefty as well. Taking out something like 90% odd of EVERYTHING.

Basically, from failing memory, had things been even a little more severe then this ball of rock would have been wiped clean of life.

Consider

Cheers

Not at work
[+] 2 users Like Peebothuhul's post
05-07-2017, 04:40 AM
IF the Cambrian "Explosion" had been "guided by the hand of God" we'd still have to understand why 500,000,000+ years went by before humans appeared on the scene, and why it took a dino-killer to allow mammals a place in the sun.

Imaginary friends are lousy time managers?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
05-07-2017, 04:40 AM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2017 04:51 AM by OakTree500.)
(05-07-2017 04:22 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Scientists do not know how the Cambrian Explosion played out and that worries me, yet scientists not knowing how the big bang started doesn't worry me. That's weird and I can't explain it.

You don't have to believe it, it happened.

I'm not really sure why you're getting wrapped up in this so much. We have the evidence to show it definitely was a thing that went down in the annals of history, there just isn't a unified/world recognized understanding of WHY. And even then there are some pretty good ideas around regarding that, although we may never be able to recreate the circumstances surrounding this, so there is a large chance we'll never 100% know, however using the information we have we can postulate accordingly. Very few things are ever simple "this happened so something else happens", it's normally combinations of several very complex things, and thus we have trouble pinpointing the exact moment.

In this case, sudden increases of oxygen/possible solar radiation/general radiation on the earth are all factors to be looked into, plus the possible evolutionary changes in the organisms at the time as well, I think as already mentioned. We've said it before, but why is genesis your go to? Why not any other religious text or idea of how the world came to be? You don't seem to be ignoring scientific work and saying "well I still think it could be the milk of a goddess' tit that created our solar system".

Seriously, just calm the F down, and THINK about what you are saying and why you are saying it. Who gives a fuck what religion says happened? It's all bullshit mate. Science is not something to be believed in or have faith in, it's a process in which we find out answers to questions that mankind as a whole have.

All answers we currently have to stuff like the big bang/evolution all started off much like this issue with the Explosion. All started with various different hypothesis and remained just "an idea" until it was tested and proven to give the same results by multiple scientists from around the world, giving it the Theory status and now being widely accepted as fact. Even then something could pop up and change the way we think we know how these things work, but that is science for you.

What you're saying is: "I have my good book, which was written by people about a god that doesn't and has never existed, which also has 0 basis of anything being true about it, is constantly contradicting itself, full of brutal murder stories which then get justified by saying it was some gods will. All of which is never explained in anyway about who/what it is other than a massive bastard who is just cruel all round....and I'd rather take that over the logical thought process of my fellow human beings".

Garbage mate.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
05-07-2017, 04:43 AM
(05-07-2017 01:55 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  Any suggestions?

With the advent of predation, coevolution kicked into high gear.
[+] 1 user Likes Thoreauvian's post
05-07-2017, 04:49 AM
(05-07-2017 04:35 AM)Peebothuhul Wrote:  Not at work

I have more faith in the cambrian explosion than actually in this statement of yours.
No offense... Tongue

@sea Jay:
what if we find out that the Cambrian Explosion didn thappen at all? We were wrong. Like with flat earth, like with most other things that we tried to figure out?

So.fucking.what?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
05-07-2017, 04:52 AM

Oh, you arent stupid, you can explain it, we all can. You just dont like the conclusion. If neither the big bang nor the cambrian explosion is the problem who (or what) might it be then?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
05-07-2017, 05:14 AM
(05-07-2017 04:22 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I am trying to cling to the idea that the Cambrian Explosion is not a supernatural initiated event.

Don't. Don't cling to ideas. It's dumb. If you think it could be supernatural, explore that idea. Trying to believe something is what religious people do, so I can understand why you might instinctively do it, but you don't have to protect your beliefs from challenges. If a belief doesn't stand up to challenge then it's not worth much.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post