The Cambrian Explosion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-07-2017, 12:00 PM
RE: The Cambrian Explosion
(05-07-2017 11:37 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  It's a subject I should find fascinating not frightening.
You find it frightening because you think if you don't believe in god and god exists then you are going to be sent to hell for eternal torture because you choose to not believe in a loving and just god?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
05-07-2017, 12:08 PM
(05-07-2017 12:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 11:37 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  It's a subject I should find fascinating not frightening.
You find it frightening because you think if you don't believe in god and god exists then you are going to be sent to hell for eternal torture because you choose to not believe in a loving and just god?
Insane as that sounds, yes.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
05-07-2017, 12:18 PM
(05-07-2017 12:08 PM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 12:00 PM)Stevil Wrote:  You find it frightening because you think if you don't believe in god and god exists then you are going to be sent to hell for eternal torture because you choose to not believe in a loving and just god?
Insane as that sounds, yes.
So you are sufficiently motivated to look for reasons to believe in god. Seems the authors wrote their threats well in the book.

Risk is with regards to
a) likelihood of occurrence
b) impact of occurrence

a X b

Since a) is so small (there is no evidence of hell or afterlife) they made b) incredibly large. What could be bigger than eternal torture.

But as you know it is inconsistent with the idea of a loving and just god.

Think of yourself being a parent. Would you torture your kids for not obeying you?
Do you demand them to believe what you tell them or do you teach them how to discover things for themselves?
If you demand blind obedience, does that make you a good parent or a bad one?
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
05-07-2017, 12:22 PM
(05-07-2017 12:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Think of yourself being a parent. Would you torture your kids for not obeying you?
Do you demand them to believe what you tell them or do you teach them how to discover things for themselves?

It's different if it's God doing it. He has *reasons* Tongue

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-07-2017, 12:54 PM
(05-07-2017 12:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's different if it's God doing it. He has *reasons* Tongue

Shouldn't that be "concussion" rather than "conclusion" in your signature file?

Huh
05-07-2017, 12:54 PM
(05-07-2017 12:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 12:18 PM)Stevil Wrote:  Think of yourself being a parent. Would you torture your kids for not obeying you?

It's different if it's God doing it. He has *reasons* Tongue
Our Father has reasons?

What happens once we hit puberty, entering adulthood and start thinking for ourselves? Any parent with ability to forward think would know this path leads to rebellious teens. No
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
05-07-2017, 12:59 PM
(05-07-2017 12:54 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 12:22 PM)morondog Wrote:  It's different if it's God doing it. He has *reasons* Tongue

Shouldn't that be "concussion" rather than "conclusion" in your signature file?

Huh

You have touched on one of the great mysteries Big Grin

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
05-07-2017, 01:22 PM
Seajay, reality doesn't believe in your god.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Gawdzilla's post
05-07-2017, 01:32 PM
No offense Seajay, but you seem pretty mentally weak. You keep denying it but your posting pattern suggest you deep down want to believe in a god very, very, very badly. The way you've reacted in this thread is almost laughable and beyond ridiculous. All the mountain of bullshit that makes up the religion you say you're trying to shake off and yet you can't seem to, but the slightest hint of not knowing something in the science realm and you're ready to throw out the baby with the bath water.

I don't know how many times this dance has to take place before you start to demonstrate you're actually "getting it". As was said, if you're looking for absolute answers, you're in some deep shit.
[+] 1 user Likes ResidentEvilFan's post
05-07-2017, 01:54 PM
(05-07-2017 01:32 PM)ResidentEvilFan Wrote:  No offense Seajay, but you seem pretty mentally weak. You keep denying it but your posting pattern suggest you deep down want to believe in a god very, very, very badly. The way you've reacted in this thread is almost laughable and beyond ridiculous. All the mountain of bullshit that makes up the religion you say you're trying to shake off and yet you can't seem to, but the slightest hint of not knowing something in the science realm and you're ready to throw out the baby with the bath water.
Give the guy a break, fear is often not rational but it exists all the same.
[+] 3 users Like Stevil's post