The Cambrian Explosion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2017, 03:11 AM
RE: The Cambrian Explosion
(06-07-2017 02:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 01:42 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  It's upsetting when people accuse me of being mentally weak or a closet apologetic, but I do understand where they are coming from. It is because they don't think I am I am genuine and/or they get frustrated.

All I can do is point them this topic:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-I-Believe

And posts #1, #2, and #56.

I come here to try and ruin my faith and that is why I ask questions about the veracity of the Bible and its claims. I do this because I have been so traumatised by my fear of hell that twice I almost signed myself into the local mental hospital. My wife and daughter were in tears at one point. I was barely coping and so I thought about what I could do, and the only way I could see out of this mess was to tear down my faith. Reason being, if my faith was destroyed, I would no longer be afraid of hell. There is no other reason for me doing what I am doing.

This is why I ask questions like 'Did Jesus Fail to Return' and ask about 'Critical Thinking Resources' amongst others. It's not to surreptitiously get you to believe Christianity, it is to ruin my faith.

I'm not being deceitful here, and I am not mentally weak. This is where I come for help in tearing down my faith. I'm not going to last 2 minutes if I posted the topics I have posted here, on a Christian website, and even if I did, the answers I'd get would be slanted toward strengthening my faith not eroding it.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, aside from the Ex-Christian website, I really do not have any other place to go.

If you have real problems then internet forum won't help you with them.

You need to seek help of professionals if you're really so scared of something called hell - it's not some backhanded insult but my sincere opinion.
I'm currently having therapy and have been since 2010

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
06-07-2017, 03:26 AM
Have you read up on other religions? Like seriously studied them, read their holy books as well? It may help to do so, and compare what you already "know" about your religion, so see how it is the same/different to other religions. It may even make you laugh at some of the dumb shit you read, and thus do the same about your own/former religion.

I just kinda feel like we're all going round in circles like you ask us a question, most of us present reams of evidence and your fall back is "but what about God though?" when your thought process should be "God does not exist, so it isn't a factor in my life".

I'm just not sure we can help you in the way you think we can. We can only say "this is the information we have, science doesn't have everything, but is working towards the pursuit of knowledge" and that religion is basically the polar opposite of that. Religion is control. Whether that's having you obey their commandments, in your case striking the legit "fear of god" into you, or anything else, it's about control.

You are your own person, with your own mind. Stand up and use it. Being an Atheist isn't about being in a club and talking about how good it is that there is no god or gods, it's about taking off the veil of religion and it's garbage, and just being a human being.

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 3 users Like OakTree500's post
06-07-2017, 03:46 AM
(06-07-2017 01:42 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I'm not being deceitful here, and I am not mentally weak.
Even if you had a "mental weakness", there is no shame in that.

(06-07-2017 01:42 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  This is where I come for help in tearing down my faith. I'm not going to last 2 minutes if I posted the topics I have posted here, on a Christian website, and even if I did, the answers I'd get would be slanted toward strengthening my faith not eroding it.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, aside from the Ex-Christian website, I really do not have any other place to go.
I've never been a Christian or a theist, but looking at some of the religious ideas, I am amazed that there aren't more people like you, people terrified about the idea of hell and torture and being watched and judged every second of the day and night, every thought inside your head.

It really is a terrifying belief.
And if it were true, you have no idea who goes to hell or for what reason. Completely at the whim of the god.

For religious people to be so relaxed about it they must compartmentalise or something, or just hold some strong belief that they are good and will go to heaven. Their beliefs become not of a god whom can make judgement of its own, but of a god that is to their own liking and obviously one that likes them personally and agrees with their own actions and decisions. This is probably what makes them comfortable, having a belief in a god of their own making.

Our friend SeaJay hasn't constructed a god of his own making. His belief is probably of a god which is independant of himself, something all powerful and judgemental and of a mind which SeaJay has no control of and probably little understanding of.

I personally think SeaJay's belief in a god is more "real" than that of other believers and so SeaJay is terrified. I think this is a very understandable position.

SeaJay is wise enough to have many many doubts, but that fear of eternal torture just keeps him thinking, "But what if I'm wrong, what if God does exist and I have sinned by not believing, not worshipping".

Well, I think SeaJay either needs to start believing and worship, or just go and blaspheme god and be done with it. Get rid of the what iff's.
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
06-07-2017, 03:59 AM
(06-07-2017 03:11 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 02:04 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If you have real problems then internet forum won't help you with them.

You need to seek help of professionals if you're really so scared of something called hell - it's not some backhanded insult but my sincere opinion.
I'm currently having therapy and have been since 2010

If therapy doesn't help then I doubt that internet forum will.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-07-2017, 04:01 AM
(06-07-2017 03:11 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I'm currently having therapy and have been since 2010

Hug

Heart

Not at work
[+] 1 user Likes Peebothuhul's post
06-07-2017, 04:09 AM
Let's not be all negative yo. The man kicked off an interesting discussion. I learned a lot Smile By all means carry on SeaJay. I look forward to your next fear-of-hell-fueled spelunking into science Smile

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
06-07-2017, 04:46 AM
While it may not help too much (agree with Szuchow here), it cant hurt, and even a little help is good news.
From an outsiders view however who was never ocncerned with religion and its (possible) horrible consequences it sounds all really extremely bizarre i have to say.

But while SeaJays efforts seem to be stupid and flawed and sometimes very face-palmish, i give him credit for tryint as hard as he can to get rid of his burden, to get back a *normal* and sane relationship with reality. unlike with all the idiots who join this forum on a weekly basis just to stroke their ego, witness or whatever (the fuck) they think they are doing here, i appreciate his efforts much and dont see this as a complete waste of time. Its a hard job tho to read some of his thoughts.

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
06-07-2017, 05:59 AM
(06-07-2017 04:46 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Its a hard job tho to read some of his thoughts.
You should try it from behind my eyeballs one day Big Grin

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
06-07-2017, 06:25 AM
(06-07-2017 05:59 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 04:46 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Its a hard job tho to read some of his thoughts.
You should try it from behind my eyeballs one day Big Grin

Thanks, but no, thanks Big Grin

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
06-07-2017, 06:37 AM
Is this a home schooling site? Do we have to educate every fucking creotard individually, knowing that 99% of them aren't here for that?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user