The Cambrian Explosion

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-07-2017, 06:51 AM
RE: The Cambrian Explosion
(06-07-2017 03:59 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 03:11 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  I'm currently having therapy and have been since 2010

If therapy doesn't help then I doubt that internet forum will.
The people on these forums have helped me loads. They have forced me to see things from a non-Christian perspective and it's been very helpful.

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.” ~ Oscar Wilde
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes SeaJay's post
06-07-2017, 07:32 AM
(06-07-2017 01:42 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  It's upsetting when people accuse me of being mentally weak or a closet apologetic, but I do understand where they are coming from. It is because they don't think I am I am genuine and/or they get frustrated.

All I can do is point them this topic:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...-I-Believe

And posts #1, #2, and #56.

I come here to try and ruin my faith and that is why I ask questions about the veracity of the Bible and its claims. I do this because I have been so traumatised by my fear of hell that twice I almost signed myself into the local mental hospital. My wife and daughter were in tears at one point. I was barely coping and so I thought about what I could do, and the only way I could see out of this mess was to tear down my faith. Reason being, if my faith was destroyed, I would no longer be afraid of hell. There is no other reason for me doing what I am doing.

This is why I ask questions like 'Did Jesus Fail to Return' and ask about 'Critical Thinking Resources' amongst others. It's not to surreptitiously get you to believe Christianity, it is to ruin my faith.

I'm not being deceitful here, and I am not mentally weak. This is where I come for help in tearing down my faith. I'm not going to last 2 minutes if I posted the topics I have posted here, on a Christian website, and even if I did, the answers I'd get would be slanted toward strengthening my faith not eroding it.

At the risk of sounding overly dramatic, aside from the Ex-Christian website, I really do not have any other place to go.

"It's upsetting when people accuse me of being mentally weak or a closet apologetic, but I do understand where they are coming from. It is because they don't think I am I am genuine and/or they get frustrated. "

Experience has taught us that people are often disingenuous when it comes to debate/conversation on religion. Whether or not that deceit is intentional or not isn't really relevant. I suspect most people think they are engaging in an honest and open-minded debate, but are often blind to their close-mindedness. Don't know about you, only time will tell.

It took me 3 solid years of questioning my religion to get all the way to non-religious atheist. I went: Southern Baptist -> Christian -> Spiritual but "not religious*" -> Deist and/or Pantheist (?) -> Atheist

*I didn't accept any mainstream religion and had instead sort of constructed my own
(?) not terms I used at the time to describe myself but ones I now recognize as having applied

The fear of hell and judgement and eternal damnation were a constant in that process. Have that preached at you long enough and it starts to have serious ramifications. And when it comes to asking questions and looking for answers, the scales aren't balanced between religion (in this case, Christian) and science. On the one hand, science offers evidence to back up its claims and will freely say "I don't know" when confronted with a question to which there is no answer, and science doesn't threaten you if you don't accept the evidence or conclusions. Religion on the other hand tells you to have faith, not look for evidence, and to stop asking questions if it is causing you to have a crisis of faith. And on top of this, religion threatens punishment for not accepting its answers/conclusions.

So for the average person, one of these is probably going to consistently be much more difficult to shake free of. Fear is a bitch.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 2 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-07-2017, 08:11 AM
(06-07-2017 06:51 AM)SeaJay Wrote:  
(06-07-2017 03:59 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  If therapy doesn't help then I doubt that internet forum will.
The people on these forums have helped me loads. They have forced me to see things from a non-Christian perspective and it's been very helpful.

If you say so.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-07-2017, 08:58 AM
(05-07-2017 09:22 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  There is NO, and I repeat NO evidence what so ever for a global flood happening, EVER.

What about the dinosaur fossils? Some of them have been found to contain soft tissue, which would be impossible if they were millions of years old.

The information in ancient libraries came from real minds of real people. The far more complex information in cells came from the far more intelligent mind of God.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
06-07-2017, 09:04 AM
(06-07-2017 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  What about the dinosaur fossils? Some of them have been found to contain soft tissue, which would be impossible if they were millions of years old.

Oh, for fuck's sake.

[Image: facepalm-gif-49.gif]

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
06-07-2017, 09:05 AM
(06-07-2017 08:58 AM)theophilus Wrote:  
(05-07-2017 09:22 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  There is NO, and I repeat NO evidence what so ever for a global flood happening, EVER.

What about the dinosaur fossils? Some of them have been found to contain soft tissue, which would be impossible if they were millions of years old.

Proving once again that creationists don't even try to understand the science that they fucking butcher.

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
[+] 3 users Like TheBeardedDude's post
06-07-2017, 09:14 AM

But if you're a creationist, surely dinosaurs didn't exist? Or were they on the boat with Noah, when that flood didn't happen?

Having problems with your computer? Visit the Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
06-07-2017, 09:38 AM

No, they haven't. Material was mis-identified.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Gawdzilla's post
06-07-2017, 09:49 AM

Someone has been watching Buddy Davis' Creation Adventure Team again.
06-07-2017, 11:32 AM

Facepalm

[Image: devil.1200.png]

[Image: tmp.png]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post