The Case for Christ on Egor's Blather

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
31-01-2012, 02:26 PM

The Case for Christ on Egor's Blather
I saw this circle jerking Ego did around this book. Yes, thousands of atheists have read this book, first and formost. Its quite the joke. He did not go outside of his Christian apologetics to get answers, which is quite biased.. i might add.

Here is Ego's Endorsement of the book:

Any atheist who has not read this book or has not seen the video (which I prefer) is not an honest person. They're not honest in their disbelief, and they're not open-minded to the facts that are out there to be known about Christ and Christianity.

When I went to the Christian bookstore, I have to admit, I had to hold my nose. There were so many political causes represented there (Like: Buy a Bible for a Soldier and Support the Troops!), so many self-serving books and horridly thoughtless products (Elvis sings the Gospel!) that I was actually a little pissy at the teller who rang up my Zondervan Study Bible, NASB Version. Sad, I know.

But I picked up this video by Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ, and I had never seen it before or read the book, and it blew me away. It’s truly the case for Christ, not that He needed one, but it really can change your perspective. If you haven’t seen it, you aren’t being honest with yourself about your atheism. Just like the pro-child murderers who won’t watch The Silent Scream.

Now, if he really wants to be fair, then he must then read (as objectivly as his mind can muster) Dr Robert Price's book called "The Case Against the Case for Christ".

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Chris...1578840058

There are virtually no peers to the esteemed Dr Robert Price. An amazing pedigree of Theologian. And expert in all things christ & new testament.

Your strobel 'earned' (ahem) his Honorary Doctorate degree? How about a genius that HAS earned his two doctorate degrees. Price had NOTHING given to him, he earned his degrees. Strobel is a book peddler at best for a VERY easy market.

SMACKDOWN!!!
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like Denicio's post
31-01-2012, 02:56 PM
RE: The Case for Christ on Egor's Blather
Those who haven't seen/read Strobel aren't intellectually honest? LOL Anyone who thinks Strobel is that good aren't intellectually capable.

I've read the serious apologetics and philosophy of religion works by the likes of Alvin Plantinga, William Lane Craig, Richard Swinburne, etc. I've read believing theologians like Paul Tillich and Cornelius Van Til. I've studied the literature on the historical bible by much more intelligent people than Strobel, like Price and Schweitzer. And I'm not an "intellectually honest" atheist?

What intellectual narcissism.

"There is no such thing as philosophy-free science; there is only science whose philosophical baggage is taken on board without examination."
-Daniel Dennett
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Valdyr's post
31-01-2012, 02:58 PM
I want to say a thousand things right now but I will try and keep it short:

Quote:Any atheist who has not read this book or has not seen the video (which I prefer) is not an honest person. They're not honest in their disbelief, and they're not open-minded to the facts that are out there to be known about Christ and Christianity.
Stupid assumption! You can't just say that everyone of a certain set of mind must have read certain books because otherwise they aren't honest.
There are tons of books with the same topics. I can read whatever I want. If I want to build a proper opinion I will have to read more, but that does not mean that certain books have to be on the reading list.

Quote:When I went to the Christian bookstore, I have to admit, I had to hold my nose. There were so many political causes represented there (Like: Buy a Bible for a Soldier and Support the Troops!), so many self-serving books and horridly thoughtless products (Elvis sings the Gospel!) that I was actually a little pissy at the teller who rang up my Zondervan Study Bible, NASB Version. Sad, I know.
I was in a christian bookshop last year to buy a bible. I hated it! I wanted a simple friggin' bible and it was difficult find one. I wanted one that has pages that will not break easily when I read that book a few times and keep looking up stuff, and I want the color of the marker I am using to be visible only on the side I am using it on. Impossibile to find a bible like that. (Yes, I am reading with marker and postits in my bible). And the woman that adviced me had no clue how to rate wether a bible is a good one or not (assuming there are better ones) I took the one she had only bad words for, an amplified bible.

Quote:But I picked up this video by Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ, and I had never seen it before or read the book, and it blew me away. It’s truly the case for Christ, not that He needed one, but it really can change your perspective. If you haven’t seen it, you aren’t being honest with yourself about your atheism. Just like the pro-child murderers who won’t watch The Silent Scream.
First of all, you can't make a case for someone who might have never existed in the first place.
Second I saw The Silend Scream a few years ago. I am still pro choice. What now? "look at it screaming" fuck that, it's not screaming, it's not even sure that what he shows is really the mouth...
wikipedia Wrote:.....Richard Berkowitz, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Mount Sinai Medical Center, described the film as "factually misleading and unfair". John Hobbins of the Yale School of Medicine called the film's use of special effects deceptive, a form of "technical flimflam." He pointed out that the film of the ultrasound is initially run at slow speed, but that it is sped up when surgical instruments are introduced to give the impression that "the fetus is thrashing about in alarm." Hobbins questioned the titular "scream", noting that "the fetus spends lots of time with its mouth open", that the "scream" may have been a yawn, and also that "mouth" identified on the blurry ultrasound in the film may in fact have been the space between the fetal chin and chest.

Fetal development experts argued that, contrary to Nathanson's assertion in the film, a fetus cannot perceive danger or make purposeful movements.....The size of the ultrasound image and of the fetus model used was also misleading, appearing to show a fetus the size of a full-term baby, while in actuality a twelve-week-old fetus is under two inches long.

And to close this: I don't like when people just put uneducated and ignorant statements in the room... but we know that from out EgoR don't we

cheers

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
31-01-2012, 09:58 PM
I attended a Strobel presentation "live" and listened to him intently for 45 minutes spell out in detail his "case for christ".

Long story short - I'm still an atheist.

...but he sure sold a lot of books that day. Dodgy

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
[+] 1 user Likes Thomas's post
31-01-2012, 11:10 PM
Read one of his books once - think it was this one. Lame. But he gets a lot of mileage out of the fact that he doesn't think atheists are bad people, just poor misguided fools searching for the truth.
01-02-2012, 01:00 AM

(31-01-2012 02:26 PM)Denicio Wrote:  I saw this circle jerking Ego did around this book. Yes, thousands of atheists have read this book, first and formost. Its quite the joke. He did not go outside of his Christian apologetics to get answers, which is quite biased.. i might add.

Here is Ego's Endorsement of the book:

Any atheist who has not read this book or has not seen the video (which I prefer) is not an honest person. They're not honest in their disbelief, and they're not open-minded to the facts that are out there to be known about Christ and Christianity.

When I went to the Christian bookstore, I have to admit, I had to hold my nose. There were so many political causes represented there (Like: Buy a Bible for a Soldier and Support the Troops!), so many self-serving books and horridly thoughtless products (Elvis sings the Gospel!) that I was actually a little pissy at the teller who rang up my Zondervan Study Bible, NASB Version. Sad, I know.

But I picked up this video by Lee Strobel, The Case for Christ, and I had never seen it before or read the book, and it blew me away. It’s truly the case for Christ, not that He needed one, but it really can change your perspective. If you haven’t seen it, you aren’t being honest with yourself about your atheism. Just like the pro-child murderers who won’t watch The Silent Scream.

Now, if he really wants to be fair, then he must then read (as objectivly as his mind can muster) Dr Robert Price's book called "The Case Against the Case for Christ".

http://www.amazon.com/Case-Against-Chris...1578840058

There are virtually no peers to the esteemed Dr Robert Price. An amazing pedigree of Theologian. And expert in all things christ & new testament.

Your strobel 'earned' (ahem) his Honorary Doctorate degree? How about a genius that HAS earned his two doctorate degrees. Price had NOTHING given to him, he earned his degrees. Strobel is a book peddler at best for a VERY easy market.

SMACKDOWN!!!

You're matching degrees? Lee Strobel is a journalist, or was. Other than his employer, who the hell cares what degree he has?

And I'm not reading your book suggestion, because as you can see on my blog I'm currently reading another atheist book. I assure you, I read more atheist authors than I do theist authors.

Smackdown? Moi? You actually believe you've smacked me down in a an original post you made which is all about me? Oooookay. Just make sure you get my name really big in the title so people will read it. Wink
(31-01-2012 02:58 PM)Leela Wrote:  I was in a christian bookshop last year to buy a bible. I hated it! I wanted a simple friggin' bible and it was difficult find one. I wanted one that has pages that will not break easily when I read that book a few times and keep looking up stuff, and I want the color of the marker I am using to be visible only on the side I am using it on. Impossibile to find a bible like that. (Yes, I am reading with marker and postits in my bible). And the woman that adviced me had no clue how to rate wether a bible is a good one or not (assuming there are better ones) I took the one she had only bad words for, an amplified bible.

Why in the world would you put so much energy into studying the Bible? Just to shoot it down? Seriously, what are you hoping to find. The Bible is meaningless to those who have no communication with God. The Bible is for believers, not atheists.
Having said that, I’ve come to the conclusion there is no “best” version of the Bible. I have three that I use: the New American Standard, the New International Version, and the King James Version.

But in all honesty, I don’t read the Bible that much. I practically know the Gospels by heart, and they’re the only books I tend to trouble myself with these days. To me, the Old Testament is background info, and the letters of the New Testament are early Christian opinion. The Gospels are the real miracles in the Bible. They shouldn’t even exist.

Quote:First of all, you can't make a case for someone who might have never existed in the first place.

I used to worry about arguing that point, but I don’t anymore because it’s moot. I wasn’t alive back then; I only know about Jesus from the Gospels. But in reading the Gospels I have been transformed into the image of Christ, just as God wanted for all of us. And that’s all that matters.

Quote:Second I saw The Silend Scream a few years ago. I am still pro choice.

Well, of course. You’re an atheist. What do you care about the slaughter of defenseless human beings? Probably don’t care about animal rights either, right? After all, it’s all chaotic natural selection anyway, right? With a suction hose in your hand, you’re just one more element that’s evolving the human animal. Have I got a pretty clear picture of you here?

Quote:.....Richard Berkowitz, professor of obstetrics and gynecology at Mount Sinai Medical Center, described the film as "factually misleading and unfair". John Hobbins of the Yale School of Medicine called the film's use of special effects deceptive, a form of "technical flimflam." He pointed out that the film of the ultrasound is initially run at slow speed, but that it is sped up when surgical instruments are introduced to give the impression that "the fetus is thrashing about in alarm." Hobbins questioned the titular "scream", noting that "the fetus spends lots of time with its mouth open", that the "scream" may have been a yawn, and also that "mouth" identified on the blurry ultrasound in the film may in fact have been the space between the fetal chin and chest.

Fetal development experts argued that, contrary to Nathanson's assertion in the film, a fetus cannot perceive danger or make purposeful movements.....The size of the ultrasound image and of the fetus model used was also misleading, appearing to show a fetus the size of a full-term baby, while in actuality a twelve-week-old fetus is under two inches long.

Allow me to put this as delicately as I can: You believe whatever you need to believe in order to get yourself through the night. You go ahead and find whatever abortionist opinions you want to find in order to support what you want to see.

You’re a typical atheist with a rotted moral foundation. You don’t even know child murder when you see it.
Quote this message in a reply
01-02-2012, 02:40 AM
(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  Why in the world would you put so much energy into studying the Bible? Just to shoot it down? Seriously, what are you hoping to find. The Bible is meaningless to those who have no communication with God. The Bible is for believers, not atheists.
Having said that, I’ve come to the conclusion there is no “best” version of the Bible. I have three that I use: the New American Standard, the New International Version, and the King James Version.
I don't put as much energy in it as it sounds. But I think knowing the stuff that people try to preach me comes in handy from stopping them to do so. The good thing is, while I read that stuff I am not cherry picking like the church and all preachers and priests do. So while they only know there cherry picked verses and stories I know the rest, too. Can't rate that negative.

(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  But in all honesty, I don’t read the Bible that much. I practically know the Gospels by heart, and they’re the only books I tend to trouble myself with these days. To me, the Old Testament is background info, and the letters of the New Testament are early Christian opinion. The Gospels are the real miracles in the Bible. They shouldn’t even exist.
+
(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  I used to worry about arguing that point, but I don’t anymore because it’s moot. I wasn’t alive back then; I only know about Jesus from the Gospels. But in reading the Gospels I have been transformed into the image of Christ, just as God wanted for all of us. And that’s all that matters.
So you base your life and moral system on something/someone you agree on not knowing wether it is true or not.
Resting my case - nothing to argue about that.

(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  Well, of course. You’re an atheist. What do you care about the slaughter of defenseless human beings? Probably don’t care about animal rights either, right? After all, it’s all chaotic natural selection anyway, right? With a suction hose in your hand, you’re just one more element that’s evolving the human animal. Have I got a pretty clear picture of you here?
Obviously you do not "have a pretty clear picture of me here" Wink
You see, all that counts for you is your opinion, all that counts for me is what people have to say who actually have a clue. And when a doctor tells me that certain details are not correct the way they are shown on TV I rather go for that.
I know the pictures there are ugly but that thing is not a baby yet. A baby is a fully functioning body that can survive without livesupport outside the mothers womb. A fetus is something that can survive outside the mother's womb with life support or at least has a functioning circulation, which an 12 week old bunch of cells that are starting to form something that will be a person at some point, does not have.

(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  Allow me to put this as delicately as I can: You believe whatever you need to believe in order to get yourself through the night. You go ahead and find whatever abortionist opinions you want to find in order to support what you want to see.

You’re a typical atheist with a rotted moral foundation. You don’t even know child murder when you see it.
And again you show off your ignorance, sir.
I do not believe anything. I research and get a lot of information, I read and listen to different opinions before I make up my mind. And presented new evidence I am able to change my mind.
At least my moral is based on what is good for people and the community. And not what a magical being in the sky paints as good and evil, because based on that I should run around a slaughter people and animals and even my own kids. That sounds totally moral. But yeah you said, sorry for the mistake, that you are a "jesus guy" - well he was for slavery so should you as a moral person who follows Jesus' teachings.

Have a nice life, man.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Leela's post
01-02-2012, 02:42 AM
Hi Egor Smile Mind answering a few questions to understand your stances?

1) Who is Jesus to you?
2) What, in your opinion, is the Bible?
3) How do you define life? Why?
4) At what stage of an embryo's development do you assign it the status of a human being?

Just for clarification purposes, thank you Big Grin

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
01-02-2012, 04:07 AM
(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  You're matching degrees? Lee Strobel is a journalist, or was. Other than his employer, who the hell cares what degree he has?
Degrees are important. Sorry to break it to you.
(01-02-2012 01:00 AM)Egor Wrote:  Why in the world would you put so much energy into studying the Bible? Just to shoot it down? Seriously, what are you hoping to find. The Bible is meaningless to those who have no communication with God. The Bible is for believers, not atheists.

That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard from a theist. You are contradicting yourself and every theist out there by saying that the bible can only be understood by believers. Then what the hell is it for? If you need to believe before you can read the bible, what was the point of god "dictating" this book to the masses to begin with?

"But the point is, find somebody to love. Everything else is overrated." - HouseofCantor
[+] 2 users Like Smooshmonster's post
01-02-2012, 06:58 AM (This post was last modified: 01-02-2012 07:09 AM by Jackrabbit.)
The bible is a part of the culture and so is the quran, that's why i also have a quran and read it with a marker.
And it's also good to try and read the cases against you're position. That's why we read holy books probably
the same reason why you read atheist books, as for the moral foundation go look at what your christian morality has done to africa, calcuttaand the dark ages
and what the religious mentality in gerneral has done to saudi arabia and iran, then look at the moral codes of the holy books
If the aim of morality is to cause maximum suffering then sure yea, the morals of the christians are superior...

Equality, Reproductive Rights, freedom of speech, press, the reduction of suffering and the pursuit of happyness are my ethical viewpoints.
And your barbarian war god doesnt satisfy any of these conditions
I dont have a corrupt morality because i dont have a morality, i have ethics and unlike morality which is based on revelation or taboo
i base my ethics on the scientific research, minimization of suffering and personal choice.

"Yeah, good idea. Make them buy your invisible apple. Insist that they do. Market it properly and don't stop until they pay for it." -Malleus
[+] 4 users Like Jackrabbit's post